Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C4S Newbie with a few questions

The Major

Hello all,

This is my first posting on this site so please go easy if I c..ck up in an etiquette sense. I have recently become the prooud owner of a 997 C4S 06 with just about every option Porsche have ever offered on a car. The car has 15k miles on it and having spent a good few hours cleaning it there is not a mark on it, outside, inside or on the wheels. It is almost like someone bought it, kept it in a garage and simple put it on blocks sticking 500 miles on the clock every month.

I am absolutely delighted with the car, (look, drive, interior (at last!!), image (well almost!)) as it has been on my tick list of motors to own since I was in short trousers. I previously owned a TVR Chim (in the distant past, although I suspect the driveway still cares the stains) and it is an absolute pleasure to climb into a car that always starts and everything does what it should!!! Loved the old girl though.

I do however have a few questions which I would be delighted if a few of the erudite members on this site could answer...

1) There is a tiny bit of yellowish paste on the underside of the oil filler cap lid. I've cleaned it off and it has only just started to come back. Anything to worry about?

2) The sports exhaust button seems to make little difference whether on or off. It is quite loud. Where should I notice a difference? Do you need to be driving through a built up area at 3am to get the full effect!!!?

3) Really nit picking point, but everything I check the "mail" (sms) I seem to have a new msg in it with a funny symbol. I have a duplicate Orange Sim. Just delete it and off we go. Comments welcome.

4) Uses about 0.5ltr of oil per 1500 miles. Seems to be about right from what I've read. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for all the advice/comments/mickey taking.

Cheers,

The Major

Hello Major and welcome to the forum. You really ought to put some pics up on here to be a fully accepted member :wink: . 997 C4S is a lovely motor. To answer some of your questions:

1. the yellowish substance often arises as a result of many short trips (same happens on many of the 996 models on here including my own). Nothing major to worry about, just clean it off now and again.

2. Sports exhaust may have been modified by previous owner so that its in the 'on' position all the time. If car has a warranty, just take it back to the OPC and they should be able to re-set it for you.

3. Can't help with that sir.

4. Seems alright to me.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Hi and welcome. I also own a C4s, and like you it was my desired car since a child, now many years ago. Clarkson may call 911 designers lazy but what other car remains traceable to it's original award winning design and concept? none well none that I can think of, it remains like most design icons timeless. What options have you on yours?

Where's the pic's?

Is this better!!!!!!!

The Major[/img]

Attachments

• porsche_noreg_131.jpg
    porsche_noreg_131.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 4,298
Welcome, lovely looking car by the way.

Don't know about the phone.
As per Maxie's response on the exhaust, mine is mod'd to always loud
The horrible paste where the oil goes is standard and yes just give it a wipe.
My C2S hardly uses any oil but others would say that your consumption is fine.

exhaust997

Hi if you open your engine cover bonnet and look to the right hand side you will see a small grey box with three small diameter pipes going to it. There should be a brown electric plug connected this is the switch for the exhaust, you can either have this connected or not, not connected gives permanent exhuast right from start up, connected gives switchability, either on or off, hope that helps and what a great car regards MIKE.

Mike, Maxie, Daz and Jamie,

Many thanks for the welcome and advice. It is nice to know that you can get info re your car from people without an interest in charging you £100/hr and then not knowing as much as people with a passion for the kit.

A little bit more about me which you may or may not be interested in.

The highlights of my previous cars have included :

BMW M5 (E39) which was 60,000 miles of absolute, trouble-free motoring apart from shoes all-round more often than my 8 year old daughter,
TVR Chimaera which was 10,000 miles of moderate agony, coupled with the few days of utter exhilaration. This usually manifests itself with the will she/won't she start lottery.
Skoda 1.9 SDI Fabia – which I ran on chip fat for a laugh!!!!

Looking forward to a bit of banter/news/info and anything Porker and non-Porker related.

PS. Jamie, saw the number plate purchase request. Naughty boy :nooo: , but did raise a wry smile on my face!!!
8)

I was suprised to see it was white, I was expecting the usual Siver or black. I would imagine quite rare on a Gen I.

What options has it?

Options

Dazzpower,

The colour swung it for me as I was looking for ages. White is the new silver! The car is absolutely mint and I mean mint. not a mark on alloy, interior or exterior.

Plenty of options. Highlights are
Adaptive sports seats
Heated seats
Red dials
PCM
Phone
Sat Nav
Really nice red stitching on interior
switchable sports exhaust

Lots more, including electronic ashtray and switchable shoeshine!!! :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics