Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

bonnet painwork

TR 1972

May souund a stupid question as I have been in the motor trade a number of years, paint finish on the bonnet/boot is very poor compared to the rest of the car, I aquired it 2yrs old thought maybe had had a front prang but the bumper and everywhere else is purfect yet the bonnet seems very poor as we would say in the trade orange peel. Any body else or has mine had a nose job

Due to the shape of the nose, it's quite common for the bonnet and wings to be re-sprayed due to stone chips.

From your description, I think it has been re-sprayed.

Agreed as above, it is sure to be 'bad' respray to cover stone chips (common problem if driven on the motorway) - seem to recall being told the 'orange peel' effect occurs if all traces of polish are not removed prior to the respray :?:

if wanting to clarify,get a detailer or top bodyshope to measure the amount of microns on each panel,that will tell you 100%.

hope that helps cheers simon

apw2007 said:
Agreed as above, it is sure to be 'bad' respray to cover stone chips (common problem if driven on the motorway) - seem to recall being told the 'orange peel' effect occurs if all traces of polish are not removed prior to the respray :?:

Andy, not heard that one before but what do I know. However, I understand Orange Peel to be caused by using "too much paint". Again, might be wrong.

On the subject of paint I saw a nearly new Cayman close up the other day and was shocked at the poor finish of the clearcoat, especially on the 3/4 panel behind the door. It really was bumpy (hadn't been repaired). Porsche always used to have glass like paint I thought. I wonder if its the water based modern paint, or the different factory for the Cayman or them rushing cars through and 997's are like this??

I concur that it does sound as though its been resprayed for chips before sale.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back