Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Have you or others suffered a major 997 Engine Failure?

Big Bob

As a consequence of another 997 Thread "I'll never buy another Porsche 997 Engine Failure - Annoyed" I am exploring if there are enough people on the 911.UK.Com Forum who can provide access to data on Major Engine Failure on 997 Engines, either as a result of personal experience or by providing me access to those who have.
The objective would be for me to coordinate enough anecdotal data of failures and the type of failure to see if as a Forum we can put together a case for examination by Porsche UK, using the Forums representation of many Porsche Owners as a lever.
I'm also prepared to obtain data from the PCGB site too.
This is motivated by (and I know there are some who are less sympathetic!) by Bigfish's experience, and the concern that as many owners dont do much annual mileage there may be a timebomb ticking away here that could further impact the value of our cars credit crunch or no credit crunch.
If you think this worth doing let me know, also if you think I'm full of sh*t let me know that too!
Regards Big Bob :bye:

BB, personally I think you may be flogging the proverbial dead horse.

I would be interested to see the survey results but online forum reports will always be biased to the bad news, the internet is a pop off valve for frustrated owners..... I know I've done enough of it :)

I would imagine that your ratio of real world failures vs non failures may not be enough to influence any major change in PGB policy, if that is the intention?

However, I applaud the effort and would agree that the more realistic information that is gathered and shared can only help everyone.

Big Bob

Another forum member has indentified 35 owners I believe

I know of 3 cars in Reading OPC in 4 weeks that needed a new engine

I think this is a very valid exercise

I for one..am most definately "in"

We heard that a sign of engine failure is the left exhast pipes going blacker than the right hand side - is this right as a sign worth watching for?

I welcome initiatives such as this but, didn't a recent thread about a 997 engine failure get removed (possibly by request!) on PCGB forums?

Bob, if I had time, I could set up an online database for people to fill in, it would just need a list of pertinent questions to ask.

Big Bob, I think this is worth doing. From what I've seen already (this is entirely my personal opinion if you're allowed that these days) the engine has a design floor in as much as, the amount of emulsified oil and water that can build up in the oil filler tube is crazy! Water running back into the engine oil of any car aint a good thing. The car is serviced every two years, so for two years you drive around with water in your oil. People wet them selves debating if they should use 0/40 or 5/50 in there engines but seem not to give much thought as to the water content. Out the oil every 6 months that's what I think. Its common sense. I bought bangers of eBay with less crap in the oil than my low mileage 997. Go for it B.B!

:thumbs: Big Bob I think you right to do this, the only place to gather information is on forums like this and we have seen what happens where the manufacturer has influence (threads gets removed which leaves you wondering why). Manufacturers don't always want to own up if there is an inherent fault and if no one takes the initiative then we will never find out if (i) the problem exists and (ii) if it does, just how big it is. Porsche will no doubt only report the failures of 997's within their network and exclude all those outside which will help skew the percentages in their favour.
If your database throws up a bigger problem than the odd engine going bang, PGB will sit up and take notice because they not going to want that to get into the public arena. And as a possible future owner of a 997, I would want to know if there was likely that my engine was going to go fail (with or without a warranty).

BB let me know if you want any help in creating an online Q/form that will enable us to get info. Its a great idea that might provide a better picture on what the reality is and what can be done
Not sure if we can get info from other sources as well....

it would need to be more conclusive than the 35 page long "survey" on PH regarding 996 wet sump engine issues........

That seems to have been started with a similar objective but seems to not have resolved itself in any way.

Do it by all means but make it count is all I'm advocating.

ResB said:
didn't a recent thread about a 997 engine failure get removed (possibly by request!) on PCGB forums?
It was, probably for the same reason as this site...

garyw

garyw said:
ResB said:
didn't a recent thread about a 997 engine failure get removed (possibly by request!) on PCGB forums?
It was, probably for the same reason as this site...

garyw

garyw/ResB, if your talking about the scottish OPC and the frustrated 911uker then the thread was locked/removed because that was exactly the right thing to do. I applaud the mods/administrators for doing it because we overstepped the mark on a public forum and I was as guilty as others were in making it personal. I log on here every night and read public accessible threads as a 'member' of a great organisation and I am priviledged in that respect. The last thing we want is the site being sued and closed down which will leave me watching tv instead of being on here.

So we need to stay on the path of justice or at best fairness and try and keep personal stuff in the background. What BB is after is data, not the other stuff that names and shames and gets a lot off our chest and makes us feel better that we may have lost someone some business.

Now where's that tv remote control...........

Pete

Good idea BB. Not sure if we as a forum can cause a stir but perhaps a newspaper (such as the motoring section of the Sunday Times) could be interested to pick up your findings and even give it a mention in their pages somewhere and then openly ask Porsche what would they like to do to help frustrated 997 owners. Worth a punt.

~ Maxie

Today my 997 3.8S engine was so good, so fast, so sweet, the car still surprises me with it's eager speed and agility. What a great all round sportscar the 997S is.
But thanks to people banging on about the engines going bang and I am grateful to you highlighting this problem, I am now overly concerned about my engine going pop. Damit :?
So I 've decided to drive the car as much as possible before it does. The car is just too good to sell despite it's potential problems and I don't feel inclined to take a financial hit based upon something which on the law of averages should not happen, famous last words!

Meanwhile the following precautionary steps will be taken.
1. Slow warm up procedure not exceeding 3,000 r.p.m. for first few minutes of driving unless distracted by something interesting.
2. Change the oil every 6 months before it turns to porridge.
3. Not thrash the Porker as if it were Hertz hire car.
4. Pay for an effective warranty even if it means we don't eat for a while
(but keep buying beer)

And when the inevitable happens :sad: remember that someone on this forum said 'told you so' and go buy another engine or Porsche.
What else can you do?
Of the cars which have gone t*ts up it would be interesting to know which were triptronics, manuals and engine mileages.

ResB said:
I welcome initiatives such as this but, didn't a recent thread about a 997 engine failure get removed (possibly by request!) on PCGB forums?
quote]

You have to remember that PCGB are subsidised by over £100,000 a year from Porsche GB,
I posted a post here and on pistonheads and PCGB regarding the change in warranty rules last september and I emailed the chairman, the point i was trying to make was not the price increase but the 90 day rule that you have to own a car for 90 days before you can buy an extended warranty, i stated that my interest wasn't that of a motor dealer who had had part of his businesss model taken away from him, but that an important level of protection was bieng denied to all Porsche owners,
The response i had from the chairman of PCGB was Porsche should be congratulated for increasing the levels of cover,
I felt as an owners club in regular meeting with Porsche GB, they should raise the disapointment from the members in the new rule, this view was shared by most watercooled register secretaries, Porsche club was not prepared to do anything about it.
Similar engine post have been deleted from the PCGB forums, and members expelled.
I can only assume in my own opinion that the financial state of the club being so dependent on an enormous subsidy from Porsche GB that they wont do anything to jepodise that support, as without the club would be bankrupt.

So dont rely on Porsche Club to represent the views of its members with Porsche GB, the chairman doesn't even think there is an engine issue!!

Porsche GB do read all the various post on Pistonheads, 911uk etc on a daily basis, so you can be sure thy're reading everything we say.

IMO (for whats it's worth)
(i) survey should be accessible through a link, in other words separate from 911uk (should be harder for it to be closed down)
(ii) if possible it should be an yes/know questionaire so there is no opportunity for people to name/shame dealers etc
(iii) and keep it simple because I assume all you trying to do is establish if there is a problem (rather than how PGB dealt with it)
and on another note, PGB should be pleased that people care enough that they want to get to the bottom of what is going on, rather than walking away from the brand beacuse there are enough threads popping up to make people have second thoughts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back