Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997TT Sport Exhaust

saloth

Just switched from a 997 S to a Turbo and, yes, the car is great and all but the sound... my wife's BMW 335 is more vocal... Is there any official Porsche Sport Exhaust option for the Turbo ? Before you ask, yes, the car has sport chrono package. Saw a great sounding Turbo with a Europipe exhaust - looks stock and sounds much better than the standard - but would prefer to avoid going after-market for warranty reasons.... Any advice ?

Welcome to 911uk saloth,

I'd be surprised if the turbo doesn't already come with PSE. Do you know if it was an option new?

Pete

welcome to 911uk :welcome:

997 tt didn't come with pse as standard and as far as i was aware they didn't do a tequipment choice for it either whether they still do or not i don't know

, many an owner has gone outside the network for the tt sports exhaust..

You may be right, Porscheuro, as this is the answer I've got from the guy at the OPC when I asked about PSE - but I've learned not to trust them blindly. I am tempted to go after-market but the car is a late 2008 with still lots of warranty to go so that may be a silly thing to do. Anyways, any take on the most suitable ? The idea would be to keep the exterior quad pipes unchanged, just put the volume up a bit. Not interested much in power increase, remap or similar....

I don't believe there is an OEM performance exhaust option for the Turbo as this has been discussed on here many times.

As your car is so new, I wouldn't put anything aftermarket on it, otherwise the warranty will not pay out for any issues and with the amount you would have spent on your car, I wouldn't take the risk.

saloth said:
You may be right, Porscheuro, as this is the answer I've got from the guy at the OPC when I asked about PSE - but I've learned not to trust them blindly. I am tempted to go after-market but the car is a late 2008 with still lots of warranty to go so that may be a silly thing to do. Anyways, any take on the most suitable ? The idea would be to keep the exterior quad pipes unchanged, just put the volume up a bit. Not interested much in power increase, remap or similar....

There is no option of a sports exhaust with your OPC, its a tough topic and as you well know Porsche will use any excuse not to pay out on warranty claims even if the after market exhaust has not causes the problem.

You say Quad pipes? the 997 TT came with twin exit (2x squashed oval) exhaust tips. Do you have a techquipment item fitted?

Europipe get the biggest vote out there folowed by Tubi, The Tubi can be slightly boomy ive heard.

Ian

Sorry, my mistake (English is not my first language), my car has the standard - squashed - pipes. Guess I'll have to live with the hair-dryier sound then, at least for a while... I like Europipe though, as it does not require any change to the standard pipes (unlike Tubi).
Thks all for the advice

Porscheuro said:
welcome to 911uk :welcome:

997 tt didn't come with pse as standard and as far as i was aware they didn't do a tequipment choice for it either whether they still do or not i don't know

, many an owner has gone outside the network for the tt sports exhaust..

Spot on. Strange they never developed a PSE for the TT. In fact none of the sporting derivatives of the 996/7 models came with such an OPC option.

~ Maxie

std on a 997 GT3, that's why no option.

Porsche have really missed a trick with no turbo sports exhaust option, 996 & 997.

Europipe & others have proved it can be done.

If you've ever heard a 997 GT2 it proves Porsche can do it properly with a Turbocharged car when they want to...
Like everyone else, I'm waiting to drop out of warranty and replace the exhaust system.. caragraphic would be my choice

garyw

Do you know if the aftermarket exhausts - be it Europipe, Tubi or Caragraphic - will also work only with the "sport" button on (as in the case of the PSE in my previous 997 S) or can be installed as a permanent feature ?

None of the aftermarket systems for the TT have any of the flaps, so they are on all the time. They are just a replacement system.

garyw

I have a Tubi on my 2008 TT.

Had a very long debate with Tubi about warranties.

Their position is because their exhaust is TUV approved then Porsche cannot decline warranty claims. This is because of the European Block Exemption blah blah something.

I have it in writing from Tubi that if Porsche do decline a warranty claim and cite the exhaust then Tubi will pay...which is what convinced me to go with them.

Problems do arise when I come to RENEW the warranty in a year's time. Because the Porsche Extended Warranty is an Insurance product Porsche can make you comply with certain terms and conditions to qualify for the product. This makes it subtly different to the 2 year manufacturer's warranty.

Currently in two minds whether to take the £1,350 warranty (I will take the exhaust off for the inspection)....but I have 15 months to think about it.

PS the Tubi uses the stock squashed flat tailpipes...so it looks like a normal Porsche exhaust.

PPS it isn't boomy...but I think it was on the 996

PPPS Tubi have recently brought out and even louder exhaust "Tubi Race" I think it's called which has no cats I think...definitely a candidate to wake the neighbours

garyw said:
If you've ever heard a 997 GT2 it proves Porsche can do it properly with a Turbocharged car when they want to...
Like everyone else, I'm waiting to drop out of warranty and replace the exhaust system.. caragraphic would be my choice

garyw

I would disagree with you Gary about the exhaust note of the GT2 - I own both a 997TT & GT2 and would say that the exhaust note on both cars is underwelming!
However, I believe a soulution is now to hand; GMG Racing in the USA have just relased titianium exhausts for both models, which are both OBD2 compliant (no CEL dash lights coming on) and should release a few more beans as they have less restrictive cat cells.............watch this space.

hog, I accept your comments and my opinion was based on following a GT2 through the Swiss tunnels and finding that I could hear it over my car. 8)
I have had various comment from other owners that the TT sounds amazing when your giving is the beans, so I assume its just when inside the car the exhaust sound is muted somewhat.

Either way an exhaust upgrade seems a lot of money for everyone elses enjoyment :grin:

garyw

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back