Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK - views and opinions

cap_scarlet

Ok, fellow PDK'ers - you may have seen my other post about the problems I have had with the PDK but now that it seems to be working I want to get others views and opinions becasue quite frankly whilst I was initially impressed, I now find it increasingly irritating and am finding myself switching to manual. what are others views?

Here are my main gripes.

1. When cold the change is very jerky and reluctant to change down often needing a firm push on the accelertor which results in it dropping 2-3 gears and revving the nuts off it - not good when cold.

2. Also the PDK generally selects a higher gear than one might with a manual, this means that sometimes when, for example, pulling onto a roundabout and needing a bit of instant go, there is none (because the car is effectively in the wrong gear).

3. Linked to the above problem, when cruising behind traffic and then looking for an overtake there is a definite hesitation when you go for the kickdown which is a little unsettling.

4. When cruising at high speed (on the autobahn) say over 220 kmh, the PDK will not automatically select 7th (you have to select it manually).

I guess I need to try another one to see if "they all go that" but I am beginning to wish I had bought a manual.

Interesting my wife has an Audi Q5 (3.0 ltr diesel) which has a 7 speed DSG box and that is absolutely fantastic, instant go whenever you need it.

:?: Why for Gods sake are you keeping it in auto mode :?:

I had an M3 with SMG and I never ever ever used it in auto.

SMG also has severe problems when cold but the beauty of any of these PDK or DSG gearboxes is being able to use the paddles or gearshift and change when you want to, not when the bl**dy box wants to.

You've got a Porsche - use it properly

(ducks to avoid the incoming flak)

Evil_C said:
:?: Why for Gods sake are you keeping it in auto mode :?:

I had an M3 with SMG and I never ever ever used it in auto.

SMG also has severe problems when cold but the beauty of any of these PDK or DSG gearboxes is being able to use the paddles or gearshift and change when you want to, not when the bl**dy box wants to.

(ducks to avoid the incoming flak)

+1

Evil_C said:

Thanks for the driving tips (whatever "properly" might be).

No, really thanks and I mean that most sincerely :driving:

You make some good observations which will certainly be valuable to those embarking on the PDK thought train.

By the sounds of it and the fact you mention you perhaps should have bought a manual, you don't like the manual side of PDK either?

Do you find the gear change counter-intuitive or is there anything else you don't like about the manual side of PDK?

Hello everyone,

Ive had my gen 2 pdk since november and i am so far trouble free.
I do admit that when the engine is first started in a morning it does jerk a little when cold. This only lasts for around 500 yards though which where i live is up to 7th gear in auto mode(1/2 mile of dodgy road) When im passed the slow bit she never puts a foot wrong!! Ive never had an issue with it not hitting the right gear though ie roundabouts etc. I can approach a round a bout at 20 mph in 6th/7th(auto mode) and a gentle squeeze of the toes will drop it to 3rd for a super quick exit. Works everytime!! I know you lot will be saying "what the hell are you doing driving in auto??? but for me it works really well. Its made me a bit of a lazy driver to be honest but the pdk is that good it makes you smile everytime it selects the next gear either up or down!! My friend drove it he thinks its witchcraft!! :floor: i say its a piece of engineering genius that everyone should try. :thumb:

have had a 997 carrera s courtesy car recently, one in manual, and then 3 days later a pdk so I've been able to compare. i found that the manual was just a bit cramped when changing gear no matter how much i faffed about with the seat and wheel position i found little space between my left hand on the wheel and my knee when cornering - but the manual is a great drive. then came the pdk and all the space came back and the steering wheel shift is fantastic. out of the two i prefer the manual but only if i can sort out the driving position, maybe i didn't have it long enough? There is no wrong choice though as the pdk is amazing and so smooth and ideal in traffic for the lazy ones like me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back