Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 - Things that go bump, thud when you change gear?

ResB

Estoril
Right, seeming as there has been a few issues with the 997's recently I thought I'd re-vitalise an old issue I have had with mine, for perhaps a year now.

It's an incredibly long story so I'll cut to the chase.

My issue appears to be related to either the clutch, gearbox or drive shaft IMO. When I change gear and on release of the clutch pedal (near the top) I get a thump from what appears to be just behind me. It feels like something is engaging too suddenly, snatching almost and it hasn't got that cushioned, smooth feel to the gear change. It does it in all gears, perhaps meaning it's not a specific gear issue, therefore it would indicate to me it that it is something quite fundamental, perhaps even simple!

However, the OPC have 'apparently" changed what they thought was a problem with the 'Dual Mass Flywheel". Seemed like we were onto a winner with that one but alas not as the problem still persists.

Further investigation took the OPC down the clutch route, again replacing what was thought to be the offending item. Again, the problem is still there.

I should say, this problem all of a sudden started to happen and was significant for me to notice a change immediately, taking into consideration that I drove it every day.

The symptoms are even more apparent when in Sport mode. Because the engine/throttle is slightly more responsive it makes the issue worse/more noticeable. What I will say is that when your 'really, on it and shifting gear like your life was on it" the knocking isn't actually noticeable for some reason

After 4 visits to the OPC it was left as a logged issue should anything catastrophic go wrong.

Anyway, this morning, I had stopped at a set of traffic lights, only to be left with a gear selection issue. (It is possible they are unrelated, but my gut tells me they are not as I have noticed that gear selection has got a little worse over the last few weeks). Anyway, I couldn't get first for the life of me, no matter what I did, putting it in neutral, letting the clutch out, depressing it once again etc. In fact I was on a hill and took the opportunity to let the car roll backwards in an attempt to get the elusive first gear but alas not. Eventually, on the second light change I found the gear, (it was there all the time!) and went on my merry way albeit fairly embarrassing! :)

I'm organising another visit to the OPC to pick up where we left off 6 months ago but I'm not holding out for much luck for some reason. There is definitely a problem though.

One issue that wasn't present before was that, if you approach a junction/traffic lights and you are dropping down the gears as you do, when you stop you'll find your most likely to be in 2nd. If, whilst stationary and whilst the clutch is depressed and in 2nd gear, I change into neutral and let the clutch out, as I release the clutch I get the thump at that point.

Can anyone offer any suggestion or perhaps let me know if their car does the same thing.

On the getting into first issue. Have you tried the 2nd then 1st option? This happens to me every so often but I just select 2nd then back into 1st and no problem (clutch down throughout motion). I was told by a Porsche intructor that this was normal and actually a good practice to have :dont know:

Hi Stuart. Yeah I tried everything, also in a panic like you do so I may not have given the gearbox a chance. lol

I did try second and could get that easily. It just didn't want to know at the time. :)

[edit]

I've got to go an pick my little boy up in half an hour, so I'm going to try and record it, which may be a waste of time. :) That is if I can stop the little lad from talking for 10 seconds asking me to put the "trumpet" button on. :)

ResB said:
When I change gear and on release of the clutch pedal (near the top) I get a thump from what appears to be just behind me. It feels like something is engaging too suddenly, snatching almost and it hasn't got that cushioned, smooth feel to the gear change. It does it in all gears, perhaps meaning it's not a specific gear issue, therefore it would indicate to me it that it is something quite fundamental, perhaps even simple!

I get this ResB in my 996 even before and after the new RMS and clutch went in. I think it's a characteristic of the car, no? I actually quite like it...lol!

~ Maxie

I think it is quite common on a Porsche for 1st to be challenging but as with others, I always put into second if I have an issue and then forwards into first.

It almost sounds like the sensation when you do let the clutch go too quickly at the last moment.

Are you sure you don't have an empty coke bottle under your seat rattling around!

lol, Don't say that. :floor:

It certainly feels, how shall I say it, sort of "terminal" and very mechanical. :)

The hard-to-engage 1st gear thing is a characteristic of the car. My car is like this sometimes and usually when cold, and so were many of the cars I test drove before purchasing, including a brand-new one. The Boxster S also has this characteristic.

As for the thump, I have had this a few times - ever so slightly - but I think it is just to do with maybe not balancing the clutch quite right.

If you've logged the problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

As the say - don't worry because it might never happen!!!

northeast canuck said:
The hard-to-engage 1st gear thing is a characteristic of the car. My car is like this sometimes and usually when cold, and so were many of the cars I test drove before purchasing, including a brand-new one. The Boxster S also has this characteristic.

As for the thump, I have had this a few times - ever so slightly - but I think it is just to do with maybe not balancing the clutch quite right.

If you've logged the problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

As the say - don't worry because it might never happen!!!

Very true. The gear selection issue I am aware of. However, this time I could not get 1st at all no matter what I did, but then within a minute or so I was able to select it.

lol, about balancing the clutch. I too thought it was me, but it doesn't happen in any other 997 I've driven which there has been 6. :dont know: I'm not worried about it until the OPC says, nope, not covered mate...

To be fair it's been an issue for quite some time and the car is still running. It's not me though, something has changed I'm sure of it. :)

Just a thought, from a Tiptronic driver with memories of pre-tip (and pre-porsche) days:

When your selection difficulties happen, have you tried releasing the clutch slightly as you try to guide it into 1st? I've driven a couple of things over the years (can't remember what they were) that sometimes wouldn't select 1st with the clutch fully depressed.

The idea of course is that you get a bit of movement into the clutch - you''ll be able to feel as you gently release the clutch and gently press the lever towards 1st gear, when/if you find a "Sweet spot" for gear selection.

Once the gear does begin to engage, you can depress the clutch fully as you continue to slot into gear.

Worth a try if nothing else.

ResB said:
Right,

My issue appears to be related to either the clutch, gearbox or drive shaft IMO. When I change gear and on release of the clutch pedal (near the top) I get a thump from what appears to be just behind me. It feels like something is engaging too suddenly, snatching almost and it hasn't got that cushioned, smooth feel to the gear change. It does it in all gears, perhaps meaning it's not a specific gear issue, therefore it would indicate to me it that it is something quite fundamental, perhaps even simple!

One issue that wasn't present before was that, if you approach a junction/traffic lights and you are dropping down the gears as you do, when you stop you'll find your most likely to be in 2nd. If, whilst stationary and whilst the clutch is depressed and in 2nd gear, I change into neutral and let the clutch out, as I release the clutch I get the thump at that point.

Can anyone offer any suggestion or perhaps let me know if their car does the same thing.

I'm having the same issue with Tump at the back and not getting first at the lights ,,, after a new clutch install did you ever resolve your problem,,, have you checked the engine and gearbox mounts,,, my car is a 2005 997

Sorry I can't help with the diagnosis but I can confirm that I don't think this is a "feature of the car". My 997 is 10 years old with 67,000 miles and one of the stand outs for me is the manual gearbox. It is silky smooth in all gears and I certainly don't find 1st a problem, or any other gear.
There is defo an issue somewhere so stick with it and don't be fobbed off by the opc.

I think you are lucky Rob - mine can be difficult going into 1st until properly warmed through...

iandiman said:
ResB said:
Right,

I'm having the same issue with Tump at the back and not getting first at the lights ,,, after a new clutch install did you ever resolve your problem,,, have you checked the engine and gearbox mounts,,, my car is a 2005 997

Engine and gearbox mounts sound the culprit. Are they considered wear and tear hence not a cost item for the OPC to put on warranty?

My GTS has had

2 new gearboxes
a new clutch
a new flywheel

Still CRAP

at least all under warranty

Characteristic of the car - b******s

My 997.1 manual was a little bit more difficult to get into 1st when it was cold, but no big deal. When I was a student I had a 1976 Type 2 bus and that was a bastard to get into 1st, and second come to think of it. Definitely sounds like a problem though - linkages? (do they have those on a 911?)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back