Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

head gasket failure? at only 15000 miles? please help!!!

Mr Toad

Hello all, this is my first post and unfortunately not on a happy subject!
I have had my second hand 3.8L 997 two weeks now and covered nearly 1000 miles. Up until today I was really pleased with it but... this morning I was checking the fluids and found that the coolant was down to the min mark. I phoned the Porsche centre where I purchased it to see what I needed to top it up and was told either a drop of water was ok or coolant as it was not much etc etc. I topped it up with some water. I then checked inside the oil cap; guess what I found, mayonnaise, lots of mayonnaise build up! I am now very concerned as to whether I have head gasket failure. I think the car has one month left under its new car warranty as it's almost three years old. Are these cars prone to HGF, I have never had a Porsche before I thought these things were bullet proof?
Any advice/comments very welcome as I haven't stopped shaking since I found the contaminated oil.

:evil:

3 year car you say, doesnt low miles potentially cause these deposits in the oil??

currently has anything failed ?

Warranty, main dealer or other ?

HGF???

1. 2 years and 11 months old with 15,000 miles on the clock
2. It looks like HGF with water in my oil filler
3. Purchased from a Porsche main dealer
Any help/good advice most welcome!

Mr Toad

Assuming you are UK based, I have some bad news 977 only come with a 2 year warrenty from Porsche. If you have only had the car 2 weeks?

Did you purchase it from an OPC, if you did you would have got an extended 12 month warrenty so all ok. Either way can the car back to the dealer asap and get them to sought it.

Cunno said:
Mr Toad

Assuming you are UK based, I have some bad news 977 only come with a 2 year warrenty from Porsche. If you have only had the car 2 weeks?

Did you purchase it from an OPC, if you did you would have got an extended 12 month warrenty so all ok. Either way can the car back to the dealer asap and get them to sought it.

What Cunno said

Mr Toad said:
Hello all, this is my first post and unfortunately not on a happy subject!
I have had my second hand 3.8L 997 two weeks now and covered nearly 1000 miles. Up until today I was really pleased with it but... this morning I was checking the fluids and found that the coolant was down to the min mark. I phoned the Porsche centre where I purchased it to see what I needed to top it up and was told either a drop of water was ok or coolant as it was not much etc etc. I topped it up with some water. I then checked inside the oil cap; guess what I found, mayonnaise, lots of mayonnaise build up! I am now very concerned as to whether I have head gasket failure. I think the car has one month left under its new car warranty as it's almost three years old. Are these cars prone to HGF, I have never had a Porsche before I thought these things were bullet proof?
Any advice/comments very welcome as I haven't stopped shaking since I found the contaminated oil.

:evil:

"mayo" build up was pretty normal on the 996, particularly if it has been used for locals runs alot.
- Im sure this has'nt changed with the 997. Get a one-over for peace of mind and really strectch her legs and Im sure its nothing to worry about!

You need to check if water is in the oil. By that I mean actually in the sump etc - so check the dip stick.

If "Mayo" (do a search) is just in the filler neck it could just be condensation. If you have done short journeys, just because if the extra cold weather if the last month or so, oil emulsion may have collected.

This issue definitely affects 996, and as location and distance wise the filler neck is identical it will still collect condensation.

Also, clean out with kitchen roll or clean rag as far as you can and monitor. A long run will not build up condensation mayo, they will build up HGF water.

HGF Mayo will also be accompanied by continued loss of coolant level. So if you do get Mayo, but no water loss it must be condensation Mayo.

Thanks for the help chaps, I won't drive it until I speak with Porsche about the matter. Its not looking good, I've had cars with condensation in the oil cap but this has got beads of water in the filler neck.

Unfortunately the 997 has not got a dip stick that I know of so I would need to drop the oil from the sump.

Yes, the 997 can get Mayo in the oil filler neck if the car isn't driven on longer journeys or spiritedly. :)

No, there isn't a dipstick.

Isn't there a "Sniff Test" a local garage can do to see if the head gasket has gone? Takes but a minute.

ResB said:
No, there isn't a dipstick.

Are you kidding me!! The 997 engine doesn't have a dipstick?

How on earth do you check your oil level?

The more I hear about the 997 engine the more I get put off by it......I'm still getting a 997 C2S though!! :D

Of course a 997 has a dipstick, it's the owner

Very possibly!

I must say, I'm very worried that the engine will have been damaged by the water in it. An RAC man confirmed today that it looked as if a head gasket has let go. What's the long term reliability of this engine going to be? That's the million dollar question!
Of course a 997 has a dipstick, it's the owner

Mr Toad - boop boop :lol:
The most important question is your warranty status. The New Car Warranty runs for 2 years. If you bought the car from an OPC thet will have given you a years Extended Warranty as part of the sale.
Skimming through the rest of the posts I did not see your answer on this.
As long as you are covereds then you will get the matter resolved.

Head gaskets go for all sorts of reasons. Imperfection in the gasket, insufficient fastening torque, bowed head or block faces.
However as I say as long as your car has a warranty it will be fixed by the OPC.

Regards Big Bob :bye:

Can anybody answer my query from a couple of posts ago?

How do you check your oil level without a dipstick?

Surely you must check your oil from week to week? :?:

toffeeman said:
Can anybody answer my query from a couple of posts ago?

How do you check your oil level without a dipstick?

Surely you must check your oil from week to week? :?:

Dash board has a digital display when car is started / stopped

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back