Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Two Days into 997 Ownership and Loving Every Moment!

gavins

Hello everyone - I just bought my first Porsche, a US Spec 2006 997 C2 manual with 6,000 miles on it and am absolutely loving the car. Traded in my BMW335i convertible and owned a string of mundane cars before that. I drove my 997 for the first time last night and couldn't beleive how easy it is to drive. I had been expecting to have to wrestle with the car but felt instinctively comfortable, even to the point of driving it enthusiastically within just 3 minutes of starting off. Wonderful, and I'm really looking forward to the ownsership experience.

A couple of mundane questions. The car is US spec with FM radio frequencies that end in an odd decimal, i.e. 99.1, 99.3, 99.5 etc. I live in a country with even FM radio frequency spacing. How do I change the frequency spacing? Also, I can't get the homelink system to recognise the door opener signal. Might this also be because of the US/non-US spec thing? Also, is there a source for downloading the data for the navigation system to make a disk local to the country I live in, or is this something that I need to get from the dealer?

Hopefully the car can be re-programmed (by me...?) to non US spec for these types of things.

Any thoughts?

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
On your first point on how easy is the 911/997 to drive I could not agree more with you. Compared with other super cars I drove (but did not own) is very easy to drive....
I am not sure about the FM radio but it might be something that can be sorted out by re-programming the system. Nowadays very little systems are driven directly by old fashion electronics and a microchip/microprocessor is driving the parameters.
As for the homelink have you tried to follow the instructions in the user manual ? What kind of issue do you have
And the last point about the SatNav maps. The official route is to buy the DVD/CD from Porsche but that is expensive. However you can always buy it on ebay (see few from time to time)

theogeor thanks for your reply. I followed the instrction on the homelink exactly. Press 1 and 3 simultaneously til the LED flashes. The press 1 until LED flashes, then get out of the car and activate garage door opener pointing at front bumper about 10cm to the right (from driver's view) of the centre line until fog lights flash 3 times. Tried it a bunch of times at distances from 0 to 12 inches, different angles etc. Even put a new battery in the garage door opener but for some reason the homelink isn't receiving the signal. The car is still under warranty for another year so no big deal.

I'm driving to work in half an hour and really looking forward to the experience. This car is so much fun! And, funnily enough, I find myself driving more slowly on the freeway than I did with my 335i because you sort of feel more connected with the car and the road and feel the speed more clearly. And, with 5 speeding tickets in the past six months that's a good thing!

The homelink feature operates on different frequencies for the US and Europe.

Had the same problem in the past. Sorry.

I know someone who had homelink as an option on a new car in the UK and they had to change the whole unit on their electric gates (in the UK!) to get it to work. You might have to do the same.

:welcome:

sounds like a great car, I have Homelink and i think its :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

any pics

:useless:

Good too see a person enjoying their 997! :lol:

The local Porsche dealer today was able to re-programme the radio from USA to "Rest of World" FM frequency spacing - so now the radio tunes to 99.2, 99.4, 99.6 etc instead of 99.1, 99.3, 99.5 etc. The Homelink is a hardware issue not a software issue. We tried but it is just not possible to programme a change from 344Mhz (USA) to 433Mhz (Rest of World) unless the 433Mhz Homelink transmitter module is fitted. We're checking on price but I bet it's going to be $$$$

Also took the opportunity to re-programme the car to "daytime running lights on" which I prefer.

Check your garage door type and see if you can just install another receiver to work in parallel. This is what I did for my Seceuroglide garage doors and worked fine. Think they cost around £30 each and even came and minature remote unit that worked both doors.

Just just need to match the additional receiver to the frequency that your Homelink system will work with.

Good suggestion David, but I live in a compound with 7 other houses and the neighbours might object.....unless I lent them my car!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back