Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What I don't understand about the Panamera Technical Specs!

Big Bob

Barcelona
Well my OPC has sent me the Panamera intro book, asking me for between £3-5000 deposit with an order.
Base prices are Panamera S (2wd) £72,000 +
Panamera 4S (4wd) £77,000 +
Panamera Turbo (4wd) £95,000 +

Thats fine but here is what I dont understand, with the same engine the Panamera S versus the Panamera 4S has worse performance with the same transmission ie PDK

0-62: Panamera S 5.4secs Panamera 4S 5.0secs

On fuel the S is 26.2 and the 4S 25.4 for Combined

Top Speed S 176 mph and 4S 175 mph

The Manual S has 0-62 of 5.6 and a top speed of 177

I suspect that the final drive ratio on the S is numerically lower than on the 4S, to explain the differences.

Sounds like the best package might be the Panamera S with the 4S final drive ratio and PDK.

Best Regards Big Bob :bye:

This all makes complete sense to me. The 4wd system could be expected to hit 60 quicker as it has more traction from a standing start. However, the economy and top speed should indeed be lower as there is more transmission loss of power from a 4wd system than 2wd. The manual ought to have the least overall transmission loss (hence highest top speed) but the implication is that the PDK outperforms it in shift time, hence has faster acceleration...

Disco said:
This all makes complete sense to me. The 4wd system could be expected to hit 60 quicker as it has more traction from a standing start. However, the economy and top speed should indeed be lower as there is more transmission loss of power from a 4wd system than 2wd. The manual ought to have the least overall transmission loss (hence highest top speed) but the implication is that the PDK outperforms it in shift time, hence has faster acceleration...

:agree:

Agree with Disco, 4wd off the line is the clear winner. There is nothing more satisfying than sitting on the line with 6000rpm dialed up, seeing the lights then popping the clutch. The first time all four wheels light up and the acceleration is brutal. The second time, either it goes BANG or you end up sitting in a cloud of smoke wondering why you're not moving. You then realise you know that smell, it's clutch :)
PDK obviously avoids a lot of that "fun" by computer controlling what happens.

What they haven't provided is 1/4 mile times which I think would tell a clearer story of the performance differences.

If the above is true, why not so for the Carrera models?

Gen1 0-62mph figs:

C2: 5.0s
C4: 5.1s

C2S: 4.8s
C4S: 4.8s

Ref: Porsche quoted figures.

~ Maxie :?:

Maxie said:

Gen1 0-62mph figs:

C2: 5.0s
C4: 5.1s

C2S: 4.8s
C4S: 4.8s

~ Maxie :?:

Maxie that was exactly where I was coming from, and if you go back to the 996 Gacelift data the evidence is the same 5.0 versus 5.2.

Regards Big Bob :bye:

Big Bob said:
Maxie that was exactly where I was coming from, and if you go back to the 996 Gacelift data the evidence is the same 5.0 versus 5.2.

And same again for 997 Gen2 PDK cars:

Gen2 0-62mph figs:

C2: 4.7s
C4: 4.8s

C2S: 4.5s
C4S: 4.5s

And if you have Sport Chrono package with the PDK:

C2: 4.5s
C4: 4.6s

C2S: 4.3s
C4S: 4.3s

Some of these times are getting close to Gen 1 997 GT3 times and I am thinking as fast as the 996 GT3 too.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:

That could be explained by the rear engined layout giving superior traction off of the line than something with a front engine and more even weight distribution. Thus it becomes a question of whether the more marginalized traction advantage in the case of the 911 is still enough to overcome the weight penalty of the heavier self shifting gearbox. Which would appear not to be the case...

Make sense ?

OK, here goes my stab at answering this...

A 911 C4 off the line (i.e. standing start) is not really 4WD - unless you actually spin the rear wheels as only 5% of torque goes to the front when both rear wheels have traction. So, in a C4 there will be no noticeable traction advantage over a C2 on dry tarmac, but there is a slight weight penalty along with a little more driveline friction.

In the Panamera, I am not certain, but I believe it uses an all-alloy (lightweight) 4WD system with a 40/60 front/rear torque split by default (I'm assuming it is based on the Audi W12 / Lamborghini system) and is variable either way according to traction conditions. So there is an immediate traction advantage from the driveline, further aided by the front engine layout (as mentioned above) spreading the traction pretty-much equally around all 4 tyres.

I think you might have the answer there Wattie :thumbs: .

Big Bob said:
I think you might have the answer there Wattie :thumbs: .

Fully agree as well but it will be interesting to see the testing when it comes into the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back