Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oli condensation -- Help pls

neil20

Hi
Had my C4s for about 3 weeks decided to top up oil this morning only to find oil lid had slight water egress i.e white film.
Spoke to indy panicking they said this is normal as you can get condensation as this is the highest point on engine.

Is this normal as coming from TVR's i am paranoid about engine issues.

many thanks in advance.

neil

The Indy is right you can get a bit of emulsified oil and water (white)deposits at the highest part of the engine.
I understand your concern, as its not an encouraging thing to see when you take the cap off.
How many miles has your car done, and has it had regular oil and filter changes? If it has had a recent oil change probably no issue.
As long as the car is running on synthetic oil say Mobil 1 as recommended by Porsche, then very little to worry about.
This on a low mileage car is probably the result of very short runs by the previous owner.
If the car has not had an oil change etc for say a year, I think I would give it a good long run on the oil old say a couple of hundred miles, to really drive out any residual water from the crancase etc, and then have the oil and filter changed.
Regards Big Bob

thanks

thanks big bob,yeah the car has been serviced about 1k ago.
The car has only done 16k ,its a 55 reg so what you have said rings true.

many thanks
neil

neil, as long as it isn't excessive then as BB says it is normal. Wiped mine clean for the first time the other day using kitchen roll. Commonly referred to as mayonnaise or mayo on this site do a search for these terms and you'll find a host of threads to help.

Pete :thumb:

same here, have a 2006 C2 16,000 miles, had it checked by OPC at service interval, no problems, told more common when its cold,,

thanks

hi thanks for the replies that's put my mind at ease.

neil

neil, if you concerned why don't you post a pic of what it looks like that's the easist way for people to see if you really have a problem which I still don't think. Then wipe clean and give an update say in a months time.

Don't forget it won't take much water to = a small amount of mayo.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back