Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997...engine..Porsche ... and Annoyed

bigfish

OK...so had a 996 for 5 years & no trouble at all

Buy a 3 1/2 year old 997 - only covered 32k miles - and I start hearing a "tapping" noise on start up - and tapping pace increases when I drive.

So - think this isnt right so go to Porsche today who tell me 30 hours of labour & probably piston gone!!

How can that be - after 32,000 miles!!! Had a pre inspection done by Peter Morgan only 2000 miles ago

Any suggestions on what to do - and pretty p@@@ed off with this car ...as its was fine when got it & cant belive this has happened to such a young car

How long have you had it and where did you buy it from? If you got it from an OPC isn't there a 1 yr dealer warranty with it?

I'd get a second opinion, perhaps from a well known and reputable Independent Porsche Garage asap.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. For nomal driving the engine should be in tip top condition. I would get the OPC or Independent to run the computer on it and establish how many occasions it may have been over revved, or missed gears. This would be my guess as to why there may be a problem. :(

I spoke to Peter Morgan - the car has never been over rev'd - and has average speed on less than 25mph before me. He ran the computer on it prior to me buying

And I have not thrashed it all - so it sure isnt the driving

And I purchased from a non porsche dealer - no issue with them to date

However - I have spoken again to Porsche dealer - who to be fair were very good on the phone. They are going to strip the engine down...find the problem & then try & get Porsche GB involved.

Still...no car...grrrrrr

Picked up my 2004 997c2s yesterday which has only covered 21700 miles and it had a new engine fitted by Porsche earlier this month. According to the work schedule it was no 6 piston which had scored the bore of the crankcase. Total of bill £6145. Glad I did not pick it up in Jan. At least I get a 2 year manufacturers warranty with it.

Is their a theme here with these engines?

sidlo said:
Picked up my 2004 997c2s yesterday which has only covered 21700 miles and it had a new engine fitted by Porsche earlier this month. According to the work schedule it was no 6 piston which had scored the bore of the crankcase. Total of bill £6145. Glad I did not pick it up in Jan. At least I get a 2 year manufacturers warranty with it.

Is their a theme here with these engines?

£6k... flipping heck! Thats serious amounts of money on a car worth £35k!

I was looking at the WHATCAR.co.uk readers review section on the 911 2004- coupe. One of the most recent review is from this chap who talking about his engine needing to be replaced on a young low mileage car.

I know when i have been discussing issues with the 996, people have explained to me on here that forums are for people who have had issues with cars and its a way to discuss solutions.

I think there has been over 100,000 997s produced? so i am sure someone is going to say to me that 10 out of 100,000 engines is not bad... I'll be thinking yes sure the numbers prob dont look to bad but i'd also be thinking if i owned a 2004/5 911 that my car is likely to have some expensive issues and that would take the edge of owning the 911... lets talk about Honda and their Vtech engine.. they rev the hell out the engine and its common knowledge that none have blown! I am wondering why such a brand as Porsche has these issues with engines? Afteral it is a £65k car, german build... sure it should be rock solid?

I am thinking of selling the S2000 and getting a 2005 911S... but these stories of crazy engine issues are worrying. Forking out £35k on a car then at some point having a £6k issue would be really worrying for anyone!

Which ever way you look at it, statistics etc etc, thats shocking for a Porsche and I feel for you. After the issues with 996s you would have thought these would be rock solid. I do hope you get some satisfactory outcome.

Yes high miles, badly treated cars will get problems but on such low mileage cars thats poor engineering :hand:

Chris W, i have to agree with you. It appears to be poor engineering.

lol i was put off from the 996 because of the issues and after reading this i feel maybe the 911 is just going to be a bit of a dream! i dont know about these issues... i would rather stick to something more solid like a BMW 335i coupe lol!

ameer said:
Chris W, i have to agree with you. It appears to be poor engineering.

lol i was put off from the 996 because of the issues and after reading this i feel maybe the 911 is just going to be a bit of a dream! i dont know about these issues... i would rather stick to something more solid like a BMW 335i coupe lol!

Its all relative but would add that BMWs aren't failsafe, but its more acceptable when you start at a lower price. Whilst I wouldn't say more solid, BMW have been water cooling cars for ever and I dare say this has been Porsche's nemesis on the flat 6's, whether its related to the OP's problem or not.

lol agreed. BMWs have their own issues! hmm Audis then.... lol.

You look at a 997 and think wow... such a lovely looking thing.. drives superb... its a shame that they are built like Ladas.

I hope this chaps issue is resolved quickly and with little cost...!

Ouch.

That does seem incredible on such low mileage. I have recently bought a similar car, fingers crossed the same doesn't happen. I had a misfire from a coil pack, but that was an easy fix.

I wonder whether there is any evidence of more issues from cars that are used only at w/e s or as 3rd or 4th cars.

Mine ran a lot better after the first few hundred miles, and is used daily. it feels like it improves again once it has been running for 15-20 mins, but maybe that is just me imagining it. :)

OK...so I spoke to Porsche again today & dropped in all my paperwork as they requested

They are going to strip the engine down Monday/Tuesday...and then speak to Porsche GB. They will then revert to me once they know the problem (I am pretty sure they know its a piston - black oil all over one of the rear exhausts).

I cant commnet really on reliability - I guess all comapnies have some level of problems....its how they solve them is the issue. There is no way that this is anything other than a manufacturing fault in my eyes...so lets see what Porsche come up with

And still grrrrr...no car is not easy

You are right, most companies have some sort of issue. the surprise is for most of us is because we do not expect a 2004 Porsche to have such a fundamental engine issue. Okay fine if you have a French car and the engine breaks down you think I paid peanuts for it and it is an expected issue with the car but when you pay large sums of money for a high end vehicle and it does this you realise that its not something to be taken lightly. It is a manufacturing fault.. what else could it be...? It will be interesting to see if this is a common issue... no way of finding out. Porsche are hardly going to admit it after its issue with the last model!

Best of luck.. please keep us informed.

having worked in the motor trade for many years allbeit commercials I would play my face holy hell to porsche customer services. Never fails, tell them your going to the press

Spoke to garage today - and said its an engine rebuild or a new engine

They are speaking to Porsche GB to see what they will offer . Before I throw my toys out the pram I will wait & see their response....

But have to admit I am still shocked that a 30,000 mile car needs this...

"I am thinking of selling the S2000 and getting a 2005 911S... but these stories of crazy engine issues are worrying. Forking out £35k on a car then at some point having a £6k issue would be really worrying for anyone!"

...don't bother mate!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back