Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has PDK tempted you??

If/when you buy a 997 Gen 2 which gearbox will you go for?

• Manual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PDK

• Not relavent as it will not be a Gen 2 car

• Total voters

diffstar

Just wondering if with the arrival of PDK more people will consider a self shifter than the old tiptronic?

I voted PDK, but would wait until Porsche change to paddles rather than the stupid buttons.

PDK is great, but we need paddles, not buttons, on the steering wheel. Plus, the short-shift 6MT is rather addictive. :wink:

After 3 months of very happy :D pdk driving i dont need or want paddles!! You cannot comment properly on pdk unless youve used it everyday for at least a few weeks. Sure, it felt a little weird when i drove it for 2 hours one day on a test but like anything you have to get used to it and when you do you wont want paddles either! (IMO) :thumb:

I previously owned a DCT M3 and have driven a PDK 997.

Both systems are amazing and technically excellent. Gear shifts are lightening fast, plus you have all the convenience of an auto.

I must say that I did prefer the paddles in the M3 than the Porsche's buttons or stick. This is not just because the buttons are the wrong way round as every journalist feels compelled to tell us and jump on a very well used band wagan! but because they are not very tactile plastic buttons! The Aluminium paddles on the M3 felt much better.

Having said that the reason I sold my M3 and didn't get a PDK 997 is because you are left feeling a bit cold, like something is missing from the whole experience. Also you find yourself just leaving the system in auto 99% of the time.

Take nothing away it is very good, but for me it is missing a big part of what owning a Porsche is all about.

Mottle, can I ask pre Gen2 and PDK would you of brought a manual or tiptronic?

Hi Diffstar

i traded up from a manual 997 4s to a pdk 2s.

I always believed that if you buy a porsche you have to have manual! its the driver involvement thing. So my first porsche (4s) was just that and i loved every second in it. But as a complete numpty when it comes to mechanics i was gobsmacked and wowed by the way the pdk box delivers. Its twice as fast at gear selecting than what my brain can handle and smoooooth as silk. Your right in one respect, 80% of the time i leave it in auto. But the other 20% of the time im all over the pdk selectors like a mad man! Get it on some nice twisty b roads and i promise youll have more interaction with the car than you can shake a big stick at! This is when shes at her best!!! No test drive will ever show what this new 997 can do, you just dont get the time.Ive had some fine cars in my driving years but this is by far the best and the only way i would change (at the moment) is if they put pdk on a turbo although my bank balance says different :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back