Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to remove engine cooling water hose?

rhenders

Hockenheim
I've just discovered the cause of my engine bay steam. The main hose that comes out of the right hand side of the engine, just below the aircon compressor, has rubbed against the body and has sprung a leak.
With the air filter removed I can easily undo the clip where the hose attaches to the engine. The difficulty is the other end. I can't see how this comes apart. Has anyone done this job or know what to do to get the b*****d thing out? :sad:

With Porscheuros help and guidance I managed to get the pipe out, it's just a matter of patience with a bit of brute force and ignorance! :)

Attached are pics of the pipe location and the offending pipe - you can see where it has rubbed against the body - worn through!
Note the metal collar that is bonded to the pipe and the O ring. This is the part that proved dificult to pull out

Thanks once again to Porscheuro
:worship:

Attachments

• porsche_pipe_003_200.jpg
    porsche_pipe_003_200.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8,422
  • porsche_pipe_004_126.jpg
    porsche_pipe_004_126.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8,422
So the o-ring provides an interference fit then? Just pull really hard? I looked at the gt3 manual and it's the same but wasn't sure on a standard 996 as the engine is different.

cheers for posting the how-to!

Cheers Jeff, there's also a spring clip that easily pulls off - this holds the pipe in position. Surprised no-one else has had this problem as the pipe is close enough to the body to make failure a dead cert. I might slip a piece of bubblewrap or sponge between the body and the pipe in an attempt to prevent future occurrence.

Anyone lese seen this or have a fix, Big Bob perhaps?

Ray :?:

rhenders said:
Cheers Jeff, there's also a spring clip that easily pulls off - this holds the pipe in position. Surprised no-one else has had this problem as the pipe is close enough to the body to make failure a dead cert. I might slip a piece of bubblewrap or sponge between the body and the pipe in an attempt to prevent future occurrence.

To be honest, I'd question why it's happening. Might be worth checking your engine mounts for wear as if others are not having this issue (which they're not regularly - you're the first I've heard about) it sounds like one may have broken up allowing too much movement. Maybe have them checked by an indy or OPC? Just a suggestion.

J

thats nothing, when porsche released the 997 with the x50 pack the air intake box was larger and thus proceeded to rub through the air con pipes and the coolant pipes... :dont know:

Porscheuro said:
thats nothing, when porsche released the 997 with the x50 pack the air intake box was larger and thus proceeded to rub through the air con pipes and the coolant pipes... :dont know:
Porscheuro, have you seen this before.
I have to admit that my car doesn't seem shaky. Maybe the pipe wasn't installed correctly. There isn't much room in there after all.
Ray :worship:

Jeff said:
rhenders said:

To be honest, I'd question why it's happening. Might be worth checking your engine mounts for wear as if others are not having this issue (which they're not regularly - you're the first I've heard about) it sounds like one may have broken up allowing too much movement. Maybe have them checked by an indy or OPC? Just a suggestion.

J

Thanks Jeff, now I know what I'm looking for I'll see how much of a gap there is when the new pipe is installed. Maybe the pipe wasn't installed correctly when my RMS was done 2 years ago.
cheers
Ray :thumb:

Bumping this thread from Ray (rhenders)...

I was just cleaning my throttle body as it was building up deposits so needed to take the airbox out to gain access. Thought I'd check the water pipe Ray had problems with and yup, it's been rubbing! Enough to cause concern so going to get it changed.

I strongly suggest that others check this out and thanks to Ray for highlighting this... :thumb:

Stuart, would you have a look at mine tomorrow (just to check it)

:thumb:

Stuart said:
Daniel said:
Stuart, would you have a look at mine tomorrow (just to check it)

:thumb:

No problem, very easy to see...

I believe the GT3 has a different pipe layout so shouldn't suffer the same issue but check to be sure to be sure.

Stuart said:
Bumping this thread from Ray (rhenders)...

I was just cleaning my throttle body as it was building up deposits so needed to take the airbox out to gain access. Thought I'd check the water pipe Ray had problems with and yup, it's been rubbing! Enough to cause concern so going to get it changed.

I strongly suggest that others check this out and thanks to Ray for highlighting this... :thumb:
Stuart, when I changed the pipe OPC supplied me with a completely different part, from the 997, which includes a new engine side bolt on boss. The pipe is then push fit at both ends and the pipe twists well away from the body now so can't happen again.
cheers

Ray :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back