Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

iPhone Texting problem - PCM3

L3YTN

Guys,

Anybody having the same issues texting (as in no functionality at all!) with iPhone and the latest PCM3.

Cheers!
L

Hello!

There is texting with PCM3....it says so in the manual and was also demonstrated to me by the Porsche technician at the Silverstone facility a couple of weeks ago albeit with a Nokia handset rather than iPhone!

Spoke to my Porsche service centre yesterday afternoon and they confirmed it should work and are getting back to me.

Watch this space....
L

I see, does this only work with the SIM card in?

Also does it work via bluetooth in SAP or handsfree profile? I can't get the later to work.

".....There is no texting function with PCM 3, iphone or not......"

Yes there is but it can be a bit flaky and the Messaging option on the screen seems to take longer to connect for some reason.

I have a Nokia E71 and texting works fine (delayed sometimes) with PCM3 for me via the bluetooth connection. It's a pretty pointless feature though in my opinion as you can't hope to drive safely and try to read a text on the screen, never mind tap in a reply....I wonder what the law says about that - can't be (and shouldn't be) legal

I have also noticed that any texts received are not on the handset after getting out of the car but that might just be a setting on the phone.

goodethernet said:
".....There is no texting function with PCM 3, iphone or not......"

Yes there is but it can be a bit flaky and the Messaging option on the screen seems to take longer to connect for some reason.

I have a Nokia E71 and texting works fine (delayed sometimes) with PCM3 for me via the bluetooth connection. It's a pretty pointless feature though in my opinion as you can't hope to drive safely and try to read a text on the screen, never mind tap in a reply....I wonder what the law says about that - can't be (and shouldn't be) legal

I have also noticed that any texts received are not on the handset after getting out of the car but that might just be a setting on the phone.

Are you using SAP or handsfree profile on bluetooth?

Sorry, don't know what SAP is? I just paired up the e71 and now each time I get in the car, the phone asks me (twice) if I want to accept a connection from the PCM. Once I accept, it seems to download my contacts and then a minute later the "messages" button goes active on the touch screen and texting is good to go.

Annoyingly, the PCM seems to have duplicated my contacts and each one appears twice! I haven't looked at the book to see how to delete them yet.

While my phone is in the car, it goes into "remote SIM mode" whatever that is. I actually had to set that option on the phone to pair up with the PCM in the first place. Before I did that, I could not get the phone and the PCM to pair up at all.

Hope that helps.

Yes that is SAP mode, SIM Access Profile.

Basically the PCM "clones" your SIM card and uses the phone built in the PCM to make and receive calls, it therefore uses the internal antenna and therefore should offer a better reception (I find the PCM phone a bit poor myself). Whilst you are bluetooth'd in SAP your mobile phone is disconnected from the network.

The other Bluetooth method is called "Handfree profile" this uses your actual phone to make and receive the calls only, using the PCM to control the calls and use speakers, microphone etc. The phonebook is also downloaded to the PCM in this mode.

Only very few phones have SAP at this time. The only ones I know of are most Nokia's, Blackberry Bold and Blackberry Curve 8900. All phones with bluetooth will work in "Handsfree Profile".

I have the new Blackberry 8900, it has SAP. The problem I have is that if I use SAP mode it disconnects my phone from the network thus I do not receive any emails until I disconnect from the PCM. So I have it set up in "Handsfree Profile" instead.

By the way to swap the PCM between SAP and Handfree profile this needs to be done at OPC.

To confirm in handsfree profile, text messages cannot be read on the PCM by are delivered to your phone as normal.

Does this all make sense???

Texting is not exactly a one handed, no-attention-required task. Why the hell would you want to use a car for it rather than stopping and using your phone as normal?

[No smiley - this is a serious question]

diffstar said:

Basically the PCM "clones" your SIM card and uses the phone built in the PCM to make and receive calls, it therefore uses the internal antenna and therefore should offer a better reception (I find the PCM phone a bit poor myself). Whilst you are bluetooth'd in SAP your mobile phone is disconnected from the network.

The other Bluetooth method is called "Handfree profile" this uses your actual phone to make and receive the calls only, using the PCM to control the calls and use speakers, microphone etc. The phonebook is also downloaded to the PCM in this mode.

Only very few phones have SAP at this time. The only ones I know of are most Nokia's, Blackberry Bold and Blackberry Curve 8900. All phones with bluetooth will work in "Handsfree Profile".

I have the new Blackberry 8900, it has SAP. The problem I have is that if I use SAP mode it disconnects my phone from the network thus I do not receive any emails until I disconnect from the PCM. So I have it set up in "Handsfree Profile" instead.

By the way to swap the PCM between SAP and Handfree profile this needs to be done at OPC.

To confirm in handsfree profile, text messages cannot be read on the PCM by are delivered to your phone as normal.

Does to this all make sense???

OK, thanks for that I understand :)

Expalins why my E71 didn't want to just connect simply as a bluetooth phone.

Disco said:
Texting is not exactly a one handed, no-attention-required task. Why the hell would you want to use a car for it rather than stopping and using your phone as normal?

I agree 100% and did mention that in my first post on this thread. I'm sure driving along tapping a text into the touch screen simply cannot be legal and is obviously flat out dangerous. It does make you wonder why they bothered with the function at all......

goodethernet said:
diffstar said:

Does to this all make sense???

OK, thanks for that I understand :)

Expalins why my E71 didn't want to just connect simply as a bluetooth phone.

The 2 phone options when spec'ng PCM 3 are "Telephone Module" and "Preperation for mobile phone"

The "Preperation...." one, will only works as a handsfree profile HFP, in a similar way to most other factory fit bluetooth systems like BMW etc... You also cannot put the actual SIM car in the PCM (Why would you want to??)

With the "Telephone module" option, you can do all 3. SAP, HFP or even put the SIM car in the PCM.

Cars with the "Telephone module" come from the factory with this enabaled, this allowing SAP or the actual SIM being inserted. If you want HFP (Handfree profile) the OPC has to disable the telephone module with the laptop thing thay have. Once done this affectively gives you the "Preperation for mobile telephone". You can now not use the SIM holder or SAP until the OPC swtiches it back.

To answer your question, Your has its phone module enabled (As factory default) so you can only use SAP bluetooth until the OPC changes it for you.

Disco said:

I do have to agree with you, this is a very dangerous and pointless feature.

Diffstar - thanks for the clarification, you know a lot more about it than I do.

Any idea why the PCM3 would have doubled up my contacts? Each one is there twice and I'm not sure why.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back