Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 sim card

RedJedi

Suzuka
hi all,
could i ask what do you 997 owners do with this sim card malarky?

y can't porsche just have bluetooth.

should i stick a pay as you go sim in?

can't see myself using the sim from my phone every time?

any thoughts?

thanks

I'm with Orange they sent me a duplicate sim card which works fine. You have to pay a small one off charge to get the duplicate sim card. The only problem I have is that people can't hear me very well when I use the thing when driving, there's this howling sound from behind the seats which can be quite intrusive!
Hope that helps!

I had the same issue and I decided to get one of the Lebara Pay as you go SIM so as to have a phone in the car. Plan is to divert my normal mobile for longer trips in case I get a call
I spoke with one of the guys who manage our T-mobile account at work and he advice me that dual SIM although it can work it can cause all sorts of issues as in reality you have two numbers that ring at the same time through clever divert on your primary number but with Voice mail and Call waiting etc it can be a pain. Have not tried the orange approach so I cannot comment

yes aynit911 you are right it can be a pain when the two numbers ring at the same time now you mention it. I'm not a big fan of phonecalls in cars but if you have to have it then the duplicate simcard is an option but a flawed one.
Does anyone else find people can't hear them when using the in car phone or do you have to shout all the time like Dom Jolly?

Thanks,
so the duplicate sim is a no-no,

is it noisy anyway - i'll try it next couple of days - but surely......?

And is bluetooth standard in newer cars? - mine is 06 997 CS2 cab?

I'm on O2 contract phone, added another phone to the plan, different number, put that sim in the car, divert my normal phone to that number when switched off, and switch the phone off when I get into the car, works perfectly, no hassel whatsoever,

Similar to the other guys, I'm on orange day to day, but bought a cheap pay as you go sim(free from asda when bought with £5 credit). Copied my numbers onto that from my mobile, and then leave the sim in the car. Just a few button presses to divert your original mobile number to your car!!!! Works perfectly every time :D

i have an orange phone and second SIM and it works great. never had wo phones ringing or whatever.

Downside my 996 cab 4S was noisy when on the phone...hoping that was a sign of poor car kit..

I have just bought a 997 coupe (undriven on phone so no comparison) and am trying to get a mobridge fitted.

I had a factory car kit in my XK8 a few years back. I put a PAYG sim in the car. In the end, I never used it - coultn't be bothered to redirect my normal phone to it. I settled on a bluetooth earpiece.

Now I have a Parrot CK3100 fitted to the C2S and it's superb. Works through the car Stereo, has the voice control that my phone doesn't, can pair with up to 5 devices (although only allows one connection at a time) Highly recommended and I think you'll be able to get it fitted for £250-275.

For me, it's a no-brainer.

You could trade in for a Gen 2 997 with PCM3 and bluetooth.

This is the best option........ but probaly not the cheapest

if you are on Orange there's a couple of options.
Duplicate Sim card
or
Orange anyphone, which is a no cost (to another Orange simcard) divert to the phone in your car.
The caller just hears the same ringtone as normal, answerphone etc goes to your normal number etc..

garyw

Hi all,

I just put in a pay as you go sim - copied the numbers from my mobile 1st - and hey presto - must say I'm very impressed!

The sound quality is great to - and you can send and receive texts.

As suggested by many of you, I put my normal phone on divert and everything is cool.

having said all that, I'll try not to chat whilst driving as I want to enjoy this beauty!

Thanks to everyone, tho!

Good cheap and easy choice.
As for the sms I was looking at it the other day and I was wondering how the hell someone can text while driving a 911 :floor:

maybe try buying a pay as go sim and just divert calls from your mobile to the sim number whenever you drive the car. works well for me

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back