Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need a pair of front Brake Discs.

ResB

Estoril
Need to change my brake discs on the front of my C2S and I guess I should do the pads also (oh no!, not 996 Turbo Pads again). However, there is at least 50% wear left on them so I'm not sure I "need" to change them.

Okay, who's doing the best deals on Original Porsche OEM discs? Anyone know? I got a price IIRC of about £300 recently but no idea where it was from!

Right, where are those part numbers...

I'd get the genuine ones from Porsche and get them fitted by a local garage
I ve found in the past that 'Euro car parts' type discs warp after 4 months, they wont give you a warranty so yoiu end up buying the real things

And Porsche parts have a 2 year warranty

Try Paul at the Porscheshop.
If the pads have a lot of life left in them, then rubbing them on a steel block with emery cloth wrapped around the block can help and reduce the otherwise lengthy bedding in process.
Regards Big Bob

Thanks Mark.

I'm certainly going for Original Porsche Parts as opposed to the OEM stuff knocking about. I guess rust on the inside of the vents isn't a claim then. Even if Porsche guarantee them for 2 years as mine were rusty in a few months I'm sure.

If you want, you can price me them up if you like. Don't mind nipping over your way if needs be. ;)

Info as follows.

Re: Porsche 997 Carrera S (C2S) 3.8L – May 2006

I've sourced the part numbers myself and would appreciate it if you could confirm that they are indeed the right part numbers!

All Parts 'must" be Original Porsche OEM (Not OEM/pattern Parts)

Discs

1 x Front Brake Disc (Left) – Part No. 996 351 409 02
1 x Front Brake Disc (Right) – Part No. 996 351 410 02
8 x Countersunk Head Screws M6 x 12 – Part No. 900 269 047 09

Pads

2 x sets of Front Brake Pads – Part No. 996 351 949 12 (Not sure if this should be 2 sets or 1 set but for both sides in any case!)
4 x Pan Head Screws M12 x 1.5 x 77 – Part No. 999 067 050 09

Not sure if I need these but perhaps you can advise me please.

2 x Mounting Part – Part No. 997 612 757 00
2 x Mounting Part – Part No. 997 612 678 00

Regards,

Rich

Big Bob said:
Try Paul at the Porscheshop.
If the pads have a lot of life left in them, then rubbing them on a steel block with emery cloth wrapped around the block can help and reduce the otherwise lengthy bedding in process.
Regards Big Bob

Thanks squire. Email sent to Paul. :thumb:

Jesus. 4 email sent out, all returned within 40 minutes all answered, must be a first... 8) :thumbs:

Why would you want to use old pads when changing your discs?

A strange false economy IMO

Wont you also need new cable sensors x2
and balance plates ( the little bits that go between the back of the pad and the piston?) x12 or x8 depending on whether 4 or 6 pot's

917k said:
Why would you want to use old pads when changing your discs?

A strange false economy IMO

I wouldn't normally and you're right. Just finances really and I'm not afraid to admit it. :)

ResB said:
Need to change my brake discs on the front of my C2S and I guess I should do the pads also (oh no!, not 996 Turbo Pads again). However, there is at least 50% wear left on them so I'm not sure I "need" to change them.

Okay, who's doing the best deals on Original Porsche OEM discs? Anyone know? I got a price IIRC of about £300 recently but no idea where it was from!

Right, where are those part numbers...

I apologise if you'll hate me for saying this but - you've got a 997 version of a 911 - in my opinion, try to re-use brake pads that are likely to be less than UKP100 per axle is false economy. Re-use the wear indicators by all means but old pads on new discs is more risky than cost effective...

Gary. :splat:

gxprice said:
I apologise if you'll hate me for saying this but - you've got a 997 version of a 911 - in my opinion, try to re-use brake pads that are likely to be less than UKP100 per axle is false economy. Re-use the wear indicators by all means but old pads on new discs is more risky than cost effective...

Gary. :splat:

Gary,

Whats is the issue with leaving the current pads on the calipers, if there is plenty of wear left in them. I admit if you are using the services of a garage then I'd certainly agree with you on a cost issue.

However, provided a little care is taken to ensure existing pads and new discs are bedded correctly I see no problems.

Is it a bedding issue to which your comment refers.

Andy

Thanks all.

Darren, I'll give em a try. Thanks. :thumb:

Gary, no offence taken at all, as what you say is sensible. The pads are not second hand per se', but, there "may" be an issue with bedding in and I'll take that on board. I'm getting prices ranging from £90 to £150 for the pads so it isn't too bad and don't mind changing for the lower price (if they are original Porsche parts)

I was enquiring to see if it's an issue to leave the existing pads in based on the fact they are hardly worn. (50% wear in 35,000 miles. What do I need brakes for!) I'm just trying to establish if it's "crucial" to change the pads at the same time. I have never in my life had to change a set of front discs so this is a first for me. Normally, I have just had to replace pads as the discs were fine. Just seems to be a Porsche trait. :)

Thanks again. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back