Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE Question Plz

cambsguy

looking at buying a second hand pair of sports Exhaust, couple of questions please...

1. I have a 2006 C2 with standard box, the ones im looking at have 3 pipes comming out from the boxes (see pic) and I believe mine has only two pipes.. question is where does the third pipe fit onto?

2. Can i have these fitted without the wiring and have them open all time, if so how do i do that,,

3. Not sure if these are of an "S" if so will they still fit my Standard 997

Many Thanks

cambsguy said:
looking at buying a second hand pair of sports Exhaust, couple of questions please...

1. I have a 2006 C2 with standard box, the ones im looking at have 3 pipes comming out from the boxes (see pic) and I believe mine has only two pipes.. question is where does the third pipe fit onto?

2. Can i have these fitted without the wiring and have them open all time, if so how do i do that,,

Many Thanks

Not sure I can answer your question really - but, are you sure that box is designed for your car? The reason I ask is that the "device" on the 3rd pipe looks suspiciously like something I had on my old 944 Turbo (not a wastegate but the pressure regulator) so are you sure this unit isn't from a Turbo model. I'm (completely) new to 911's (until they actually got quieter / more comfortable) so I could be way off ...

Regards,

Gary.

Hi Gary

Not 100% sure, just going by what im told by the person selling the exhaust, told its from a 997, thats why i need to check before purchasing,,

The device on the 3rd pipe is the valve that operates to make the pipes silent (or at least quieter) ths is the key part of the PSE its operated by a vaccum.
Pukka PSE cans there - worth a few bob

vlad said:
The device on the 3rd pipe is the valve that operates to make the pipes silent (or at least quieter) ths is the key part of the PSE its operated by a vaccum.
Pukka PSE cans there - worth a few bob

Hi Vlad..

thanks for your comment, am i right in saying that the standard 997 box have 2 pipes and if so, what/where does this 3rd pipe fit onto? and can the vaccum switch just not be wired up,,,,/

Only two pipes one in one out the pipe with the bypass valve On that parallel bypass pipe) is opened or shut giving the change in volume. But you see it runs parallel to the other pipe.
The valve is operated by vaccum which in turn is provided from a vaccum chamber which I think is created from the inlet manifold. The air line from the vaccum chamber is provided to the exhaust cans dependant on whether or not a electronic switch (the accuator) is activated by the dash switch.
Fitting the switch and accuator is a quite tricky and involves routing wires from the dash to the rear.
The default position for the cans if not connected to the vaccum lines is open (loud mode) - which is what most people want anyway. I have the dash switch but operate my cans in loud mode most of the time.

vlad said:
Only two pipes one in one out the pipe with the bypass valve On that parallel bypass pipe) is opened or shut giving the change in volume. But you see it runs parallel to the other pipe.
The valve is operated by vaccum which in turn is provided from a vaccum chamber which I think is created from the inlet manifold. The air line from the vaccum chamber is provided to the exhaust cans dependant on whether or not a electronic switch (the accuator) is activated by the dash switch.
Fitting the switch and accuator is a quite tricky and involves routing wires from the dash to the rear.
The default position for the cans if not connected to the vaccum lines is open (loud mode) - which is what most people want anyway. I have the dash switch but operate my cans in loud mode most of the time.

Vlad
Still unclear.... do the parrallel pipes from each box join up or are they just left open???

One of the pipes extends to the other side of the car and connects to the manifold and vice versa. Therefore I believe you then have two outlets on each side for PSE.

Not PSE but may help you understand what I'm trying to say...

europipe_997s.jpg

ResB said:
One of the pipes extends to the other side of the car and connects to the manifold and vice versa. Therefore I believe you then have two outlets on each side for PSE.

Not PSE but may help you understand what I'm trying to say...

europipe_997s.jpg

Thank you think ive got that,,, so the two pipes actually fit onto each twin exhaust tips...

cambsguy said:
so the two pipes actually fit onto each twin exhaust tips...
Correct. However, don't forget that you'll need the specific PSE tips. If they're not being supplied with the cans then they'll cost you about £240 from Porsche.

I did exactly what you're proposing to do with my C2 about a year ago, so can answer your other questions...

As you now know, the C2 exhaust has one in and one out. The PSE has one in and two out for the exhaust tips.

Yes, that's how I have mine as I wanted the sound all the time and didn't want the additional hassle of fitting the wiring and vacuum source that's used to open and close the bypass valve. My car also has Sports Chrono and the PSE would normally be wired to this.

The only thing you should do is seal up the small pipes that come out of the bypass valves. I used heat shrink tubing for this.

Fitting is a fairly simple, but fiddly and reasonably time consuming affair. I fitted mine and it took about 3-4 hours, mainly because the clamps that connect the catalytic convertors to the exhaust had rusted solid and I had to cut them off with a grinder. There's not a lot of room to move near the exhaust and a few of the bolts are fiddly to get to. In hind sight I would have a Porsche indy garage do the work for me and pay up to £100 for the hassle.

Yup, they'll fit fine.

Simon.

Simon

Thanks for the info.. spot on,, answered all my fears/questions..

FYI I am having an OPC supply and fit the PSE to my C2S. Apparently 7hrs labour - more than half of which is the wiring to the Sport Chrono. Parts alone over £1100. If you can buy a cheap used part and aren't worried about being able to run in "quiet mode" then you don't need the wiring so fitting will be much easier. If you can fit youself you'll save a packet just leaving the exhaust open and unswitched. Care over your warranty though - Porsche are getting very picky...

clivejaustin said:
FYI I am having an OPC supply and fit the PSE to my C2S. Apparently 7hrs labour - more than half of which is the wiring to the Sport Chrono. Parts alone over £1100. If you can buy a cheap used part and aren't worried about being able to run in "quiet mode" then you don't need the wiring so fitting will be much easier. If you can fit youself you'll save a packet just leaving the exhaust open and unswitched. Care over your warranty though - Porsche are getting very picky...

TY

clivejaustin said:

TY

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdj
Back