Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Warning light concern

theogeor

Albert Park
12 days into my 911 I went to refuel tonight and as soon as I started the engine after about 38lrt of Shell Vpower the warning engine diagnostic light came on with the expected advice to visit a workshop.
I had this before in other cars where a bad batch of fuel can cause the engine light to come on but I was wondering if anybody else has had any experience with it.
Is there a way you can reset the warning light as the car engine looks like its working without problems and see if it comes again or something else I can check on the car ?
The car by the way had a 20K service 5 weeks ago at the OPC in Reading just before I got.

Make sure you have the radio code handy......then disconnect the battery for 15 mins(have a cuppa) reconnect the battery, switch off the alarm using the fob then enter your radio code.

The above should clear the ECU which is sending the signal to the dash.

wizard993 thanks for the quick reply but where do I find the radio code. I did check all the papers I have and there nowhere to be mentioned
Also as I have a VTS it means I have to inform them about battery going out ....??

hmmm.....would not disconnect the battery then until you have it. Sometimes the OPC's will tell you it over the phone if you give them the VIN and they know you?

If an OPC supplied the car it tell them you want the code. If an Indy supplied it the OPC will be able to give them the code also.

Have a look/read at the Radio/CD manual as they are sometimes located in the first few pages. Also, read the radio manual section about coding. Did you check your glovebox and door side cubbies as some previous daft owner may have left the card in there :dont know:

Hello

Regarding radio code there is none from 2003 onwards...it will sort it self out.
How low was it on fuel ? is the engine running ok no rough idle or hesitancy when driving ?

Mike

Mike

Engine is running fine and has no idle or visible performance problems (although I did not push it to be honest as I was around the neighborhood) . As said I added 38lts and now the tank is full so it was about 1/3.
I am thinking of going tomorrow at OPC Reading (give them a call first) and have it quickly check (as said car was serviced very recently).
One thing I did see in some forums is about fuel cap causing some kind of strange problems. I opened it briefly and there was a lot of pressure been released. I did not try to start the engine to check as the car is in the garage but I will give it a try tomorrow.

i filled my car up with 30ltrs vpower in dunfermline about 5 days ago and had the diagnostic message come up for about 0.5 seconds when starting the car and not seen it since. Sounds like it could be the vpower??

had my car 7 months now and done about 6k miles in it and not had the diagnostic message before, mines is a 55plate 997 C2 with 16k miles.

Just a quick update. Unfortunately I did not manage to go to Porsche OPC this morning but I have been driving the car and it has no signs of any problems. Also did check the fuel cap and it looks ok but it did not make any difference... I will see if I can remove the battery for 15m as advice and reconnect it this afternoon and hope that will clear the warning. If not then next Saturday I will arrange to go to OPC to have it checked...

Just came from the OPC Reading and I have been told that the problem is with the Camshaft sensor (The Service guy originally told me that the camshaft has moved position and I said to him if that was the case the whole engine was going to misbehave and it wouldn't run smoothly). The tech who actually checked it then told me that its very likely to be the the left sensor (one in each side) or the wiring of it (I am thinking that it might be bad connectors and a bit of WD40 will do the trick if I can find where they are). The car is now booked for next Thursday to be checked and fixed
Am I expected to get a large bill on it ? From what they said is about 1-1.5 work. To be honest that kind of failure is unacceptable on a 2 year old car. The problem for me it happened 1 month out of the warranty :(

If it's one month out of warranty make a big fuss and say you are going to take it up with Porsche... All manufacturers that I know of have a goodwill policy for 'just out of warranty' situations, but it is up to the dealer to ask for it.

I would be shocked if Porsche don't as they have the shortest UK warranty period of any manufacturer of any size.

(Especially as on the same cars, made on the same production line, American new car buyers get a 4-year warranty!)

Thanks Wattie. I will do that and make a big big fuss. Is it worth been a bit more proactive and start the complain to Porsche now?

it is worth trying the goodwill route as i have had great success with it!
Bill for spoiler problem was ment to be about £600 and got it for £115 cost of one hour labour!!! :thumbs:
this was for a part that wasnt covered under warranty but shouldnt make a difference for you.

Guys (and girls and anyone around)

Just a quick update. I had the car collected this morning and taken to OPC Reading for check. I just had a call and I was told that is not the sensor (replaced it and had the same error) and the engine is not misfiring so they will need to look at it further (Starting from cabling and the electrical/electronic path) so they were asking for my permission to do so.
I did raise the issue about goodwill and I was told politely that because I did not buy the car from OPC that doesn't apply which I did not accept and we had a bit of a discussion about it. He said I can take it with Porsche UK etc etc which I will. It also worth mentioning that the work they have done today is free of charge and if they find the problem tomorrow they only thing they will charge me is the two hours max they said it might take
If it takes 1-2 hours I do not mind paying the cost (only ~£200) but I said to them that if its more than that then there is a major fault which is not acceptable.
Any further advice or experience dealing with Goodwill is more than welcome. I am hoping they will be able to find the problem within the two hours and not having to go through the next step which will become very expensive. :nooo:

I think Theogor you need to see them put it right and tell you what was actually wrong, as they may have badly used time up because the technician is not sufficiently competent on diagnostics, eg Cam Sensor assumpton etal.
When you have the facts you will be in a stronger position to question the bill and/or take it up with Porsche UK.
Regards Big Bob

Big Bob great advice thanks..

Assuming they sort it out tomorrow what do I do with the bill so as to get the car back as soon as possible ? Do I pay and then go to Porsche UK about goodwill or do I go to them asking them to cover the cost ? Searching through the posts I can see that some people got refunts and others had reduce bill. Not sure what is the best way to play it....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back