Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

X50 Power Kit

david.m

Trainee
Does anyone have any views on the benefits of the power kit on a used 997S. I can see that as new it is hard to justify the extra £8k for the relatively modest gain in power but on a used car it looks a better bet. Do any of you have cars with teh power kit fitted and do you think that the power gain is sufficient to offset the extra fule cost and added cost of buying the car. Also, did you have to declare it to your Insurance companies and how did they respond.

I'd appreacaite your thoughts.

Thanks
David

An X50 equipped 997 is an extremely rare find. AFAIK, it's a factory fitted option; this feature would be contained within the options list of the chassis code should any OPC do a search on the vehicle. Telling the Insurance company is a good idea but stress to them that's a factory fitted option and not aftermarket. I suspect any Insurance premium will not be too much affected as factory fitted options are considered a 'safe' addition to the vehicle as opposed to aftermarket.

When the Audi R8 came out, Evo magazine ran it in a test against a 997 4S X50. Can't remember which edition of magazine it was. Can't asnwer your other questions, sorry.

~ Maxie

I thought it was coded X51 - I might be wrong.

There are a few guys on PCGB that have the kit, normally dealer retrofit from memory.

Problem is David, as you know they are hard to come by in the dealer network especially given that you can't search by that option on the official porsche car locator.

I might be wrong but, as far as I know, X50 as well as X51 are power upgrades for Twin Turbo cars and not for C2s or C4s cars which are NA. I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

People who have it on NA cars on PCGB refer to it as either the X51 or Powerkit??

I believe X50 is for the N/A cars which on the S models produced an extra 30bhp (making 385bhp over the standard). X51 is for for the Turbo cars but not sure how much of an increase there was here.

~ Maxie

Jamie is correct, X51 for normally aspirated 997 engines after 2005. If you can find a car with it as a factory option you're onto a winner.

Any seller who knows their stuff will use it as a major selling point, it won't be a hidden little extra.

I believe it's only an extra 25bhp so it shouldn't affect your Insurance but as it's a factory fit option I'd tell them.

From Porsche website...

Powerkit
The 911 Carrera S, 911 Carrera 4S and 911 Targa 4S models offer total power output of 261 kW (355 bhp) as standard. From the moment the key is turned, the flat-six engine will set your heartbeat racing. You can also raise the pulse-rate higher with this exclusive engine conversion. Offering a maximum output of 280 kW (381 bhp), the results are 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 4.6 seconds and 200 km/h (124 mph) in 14.9.* The key feature of the Powerkit is the optimized gas-flow characteristics on inlet and exhaust. This is achieved by means of a modified cylinderhead geometry. Other features include an aluminum intake manifold and revised exhaust manifolds with larger bores. Controlling it all is a specially uprated engine management system. The performance is matched by the sight and sound of the carbon-fiber air-filter housing.

Also included in the package is a sports exhaust system with matching sports tailpipes. All are designed for optimum throughput and therefore optimum engine performance. The exhaust system has two sound modes – normal and sport – which can be selected using a button in the ****pit.

Benefits for the driver include increased power over the entire engine speed range. The car is more responsive with a more exhilarating sound. In short: even more 911.

For vehicles from 08/2005 only. Some models may require additional components.

*Data valid for 911 Carrera S with manual gearbox.

Just checked with Mark and he's found it on the price list. It is indeed X51 Powerkit. Factory or Retrofit. I have heard that you can negotiate a deal on retrofit for about £7K? And it obviously includes Sports Exhuast.

I don't think its worth paying for but nice if you find it on a second hand example. Problem is, it is very rare and anything that has some up has been snapped up with a premium.

I think its a bit of a holy grail to be honest.

Ahh, I stand corrected...!

~ Maxie :)

Thanks for the helpful response guys – very comprehensive as always.
Has anyone actually driven a car with the power kit fitted though. The reason I ask is that I have found one for sale and am trying to understand how much difference the kit makes to the car's performance in the real world, so I can judge if the price premium asked for it is worth it.

Regards
David

Tell us more, eg , year, price and spec of the cars you are looking at and then we'll let you know our opinions. Of course you'll need to test drive them both first; I think there are very few active forum members who've driven an X51 997 N/A car.

~ Maxie

I hate to point you away from this forum but as I said, there are a few owners on PCGB 997 forum which you don't need to be a member to join. It's fairly somber but they know their onions and 997's. I would put a quick post up there and see what they say. Then come back here and tell us all.

Power Kit 997

Good Evening everyone,
It appears that I have the holy grail... ! I took delivery of a new 997 4s cab with the factory fitted power kit early January 2007. I figured at the time of ordering that although the extra 8k was a lot for 26 bhp it should benefit it's resale value, and at that time I thought it was going to be pretty rare. As far as I know there are only a handful of 4s's with the kit option, the cabriolet version probably rarer still.

I drove two other Carrera s variants, before ordering. I can say that it is quicker, but it is at its best with the roof down... wow, it sounds awesome !The exhaust note is more GT3 than Carrera.
The car is really terrific, punchier at lower revs and harder at the top end.
I have a new GT3 on order, if anyone's interested in my car it will be available early summer, it's just had it's first service (6010miles) and it's just had a year's Porsche warrany bought for it !
I will miss the open air thrills !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back