Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Cold Start-up Rattle

What are your noisy start experiences?

• No problems at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clanging - noisy, but no problem

• Clanging - needed rectification

• Other noise

• Total voters

royd999

Hockenheim
I've been enjoying my 997 for a few weeks now. It passed the PPI with no particular concerns and drives very well. javascript:emoticon(':)')

One concern however is the lound rattle/clanging noise which occurs on a cold start-up. It emerges from the right-hand tailpipes, continues for about 35 seconds, then quietens significantly before apparently stopping altogether.

The engine and exhaust seem to be very smooth during the whole period and the car itself feels fine. Its just not good for the morale/image to have the car sounding like a bag of nails javascript:emoticon(':evil:')

I e-mailed an MP3 of the cacaphony to my local OPC, who decided that it's the auxiliary air pump, which runs for 30 sec or so to dilute the cold exhaust gases. They say it's a feature of the car.

You can download a zip file containing the MP3 here: http://www.globaldecisions.co.uk/public/c2s-startup.zip.

So... What are your start-up noise experiences? How many of you have (or do not have) the same experiences? Can it be safely disregarded until the scheuled service?

TIA,
Roy

It's hard to answer on a poll.

I have sports exhaust with the valve thingy disconnected to make it always noisy. Start up is a noisy event and has been since new. I don't forsee this as a problem.

I do get an initial rattle when the car starts but it doesn't persist...I understand this is a trait of the car as Jamie says. I'm not sure about it continuing for 35 seconds though. I'll check mine today...it needs a run. :)

Mine sounds quite violent (lovely) for a few seconds then raspy for a while longer before it settles down.

I have PSE and that does not sound like mine at all. That can't be normal can it, it sounds quite nasty. I've never been round the back though always with my foot on the throttle. :D

Just my perspective.

Pete

Just listened to your sound clip. Sounds like a "Geiger Counter"

Mine doesn't sound like that either! Where was the sound recorder device placed and I'll record mine tomorrow but like Pete I have PSE also.

I've had both a normal exhaust and the PSE (roughly 1 year each) and get a similar rattle sound from cold start-up, although I think your recording does make it sound a bit more like a popping sound.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Simon.

I used the voice recorder feature of my mobile. It was my first time of using it, so I wasn't sure how close it needed to be to the origin. I placed it about 6" from the RHS tailpipes, then moved it to 2-3' distant.

I'd be interested to hear similarly positioned recordings!

As per other posts, that's how they are - mines the same, and the one that fired up outside my local Waitrose sounded identical to mine!

It's too difficult to tell from that recording. Where are you based? Might be another 997er local to you who would be happy to pop round and take a listen.

Thanks all.

@speedy - I've heard that waitrose can be like that!

@jamie - Good idea. I'm in West Sussex, close to Worthing if anyone else is nearby.

That raises another point, as I've been considering whipping the car to the OPC for a proper listen: Naturally the car will be fully warmed-up by the time I get there, so the noise will be long gone. How long does the car need to stand before the noise returns?

Mine always sounds healthy if a bit clattery on a cold start and briefly chucks out a little bit of white smoke if the air temperature is really cold and then settles down after a minute at reduced revs. The rear brakes are also noticably audible when I first use them but then they seem to settle down. This all happend before and after having the car serviced and its fine. I am guessing its part of normal 997 behaviour.

Dunno Roy - that sounds very strange! Mine has a very clattery sound when started cold but after listening to 3 others at our local dealer it seems normal. Nothing like yours though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back