Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Autowerks (Slough): Our Wheel Refurbishment work

doctorlanning

hello to all...i just wanted to post a recommendation for harry at autowerks...
www.the-autowerks.com

i went away for the holidays and nervously left my 997 c2s with harry to detail...after meeting him and discussing 'the process', i immedately felt more relaxed as his professionalism and knowledge let me know that he knew what he was talking about ...

i arrived back on sunday to pick up my car and was blown away by the changes he was able to make!

harry will be posting the pictures over the next few days so all those who may be sceptical of paint correction etc will see how involved harry gets.
so, thanks harry, i will be seeing you regularly for top ups and the wErks ; )
M

Great to hear!!!

My 997 C4S (Gen 2) is going to Harry on Saturday to have some very subtle window tinting, a full valet, wax, wheel removal & protective claying!

Should look mint by 6pm Saturday evening :D

Cheers!
L

thanks for the post, it's much appreciated - i hope you enjoy reading the full write-up i sent you.

i'll just do a brief write-up on the main areas covered. this 911 was in for full paint correction with some special attention to be paid to the wheels as doctorlanning felt that the adhesive left on the wheels from being balanced previously and indeed the balance weights themselves were a bit of an eyesore - especially with the wheels being 5-spoke Carrera Classics.

so with the wheels off the car i removed the wheel weights and sprayed on some AutoSmart Tardis in order to soften the tar that was on the inside of the wheels. the balancing machine we have allows us to split the balance weight required behind the spokes of the alloy, meaning they are less visible. the weights were also rubbed down, sprayed silver, lacquered and left to dry prior to being stuck on the wheels, the reason for this was so that they would not tarnish over time. once the wheels had been cleaned both inside and out a layer of wheel sealant was applied - this is to add a bit of shine to the wheel but also act as a barrier for brake dust and road grime.

the eyesore
DSC_0276.jpg

wheel weights removed and Tardis working on dissolving the tar
DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

after
DSC_0322.jpg

a layer of wheel sealant and the painted wheel weights
DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

the wheels balanced with the weights hidden behind the spokes
DSC_0358.jpg

on the car
DSC_0453.jpg

Harry :worship: :worship: :worship: the car looks brill. Did you do the interior and if so any pics?

One question. I thought you had to place weights when balancing where the machine tells you. I must have been difficult not to place between the spokes......no?

Pete

Pete Hadfield said:
Harry :worship: :worship: :worship: the car looks brill. Did you do the interior and if so any pics?

One question. I thought you had to place weights when balancing where the machine tells you. I must have been difficult not to place between the spokes......no?

Pete

the interior was done, but i have to admit that it didn't need as much work as the car is kept in very good condition. the interior was hoovered and cleaned, and the seats were also cleaned and conditioned.

the engine bay was also cleaned and dressed

you're right about the balancing, you are required to place the weight where the machine indicates it is needed. however, the Hofman balancer that we have has a special function whereby once it has spun the wheel and calculated the amount of weight required, you can then input the desired locations of the weights (i.e. behind the spokes either side of the point where it wanted the weight in the first place). this function is specifically designed for these types of wheels, which have large gaps between the spokes. with the new co-ordinates of the wheel weights the machine will recalculate the amount of weight required in each of the locations. the amount of weight required will be different, but the net effect is the same as having put the original amount of weight required in the spot that it asked for at the beginning.

hope that makes sense.

Harry @ The Autowerks said:
Pete Hadfield said:

Pete

the interior was done, but i have to admit that it didn't need as much work as the car is kept in very good condition. the interior was hoovered and cleaned, and the seats were also cleaned and conditioned.

the engine bay was also cleaned and dressed

you're right about the balancing, you are required to place the weight where the machine indicates it is needed. however, the Hofman balancer that we have has a special function whereby once it has spun the wheel and calculated the amount of weight required, you can then input the desired locations of the weights (i.e. behind the spokes either side of the point where it wanted the weight in the first place). this function is specifically designed for these types of wheels, which have large gaps between the spokes. with the new co-ordinates of the wheel weights the machine will recalculate the amount of weight required in each of the locations. the amount of weight required will be different, but the net effect is the same as having put the original amount of weight required in the spot that it asked for at the beginning.

hope that makes sense.

Harry, thanks for the reply. It makes perfect sense. Nice peice of kit. If I understand you correctly you will most likely end up with more weights than normal but you won't see any of them. Cool.

Keep up the good work.

Pete :thumb:

Thought it was about time that I exhibited some of our work. A few of these cars are members' vehicles (hope you guys don't mind me posting the pics).

Let's start with our wheel refurbs portfolio.

Update, Portfolio Updated for 2012-2013

Portfolio1.jpg

Portfolio2.jpg

Portfolio3.jpg

http://www.the-autowerks.com/

Can't wait for the days to start getting longer again, because trying to take decent pics under these lights is a nightmare. Daylight pics are great in the workshop, but i might just have to bite the bullet and swap the bulbs.

Looks good, particularly with some difficult wheels there. Would be good to see a "before and After" pic though.

Can you refurb the MkIV VW Golf Monza II wheels? Thinks that's what they are called.

What do you charge for a straight forward (non split-rim) wheel refurb- a proer job, inside and out?

Pm me if you prefer.

Ditto ResB, how much for 18" Turbo Technology per wheel?

Hi Harry, how much would you charge for window tinting on a 2008 Audi A6 saloon? PM if you'd prefer.

Robertb said:
What do you charge for a straight forward (non split-rim) wheel refurb- a proer job, inside and out?

Pm me if you prefer.

the cost to refurb the above would be £65 + vat per wheel. the cost goes up from there depending on whether the finish is to be powdercoated in high gloss black for instance, and obviously as you said, whether it's two or three piece.

The process will be as follows:
- remove tyre, valve and wheel weights
- strip the wheel completely of any paint and lacquer
- remove any kerbing
- powdercoat the primer
- wet paint the colour
- lacquer
- then bake in the oven in order to cure the lacquer
- fit a new valve, re-fit the tyre, balance the wheel
- fit it back on the car

New Threads

Forum statistics