Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will 997 prices drop anymore?

bg259

997 prices seemed to have firmed up, with the cheapest examples fetching £29995 basically £30K... 996 C4s prices also seemed to have to stopped their freefall at around £24k for the cheapest examples... I think that the 997 cant drop much below £30k otherwise 996 prices will fall over... what do you guys think?

Prices accross most marques have firmed up in January. We have seen in some cases increases.

When prices traded below book values there was always a chance they could spike a bit back to what they booked at. The price drops of Q4 2009 weren't born out of real data - it was dealers having to shift stock out of desperation with NO buyers out there.

Right now, there are lots of buyers and for the first time in months people are looking for quality newer low mileage cars not just the bargain basement stock we were seeing last year.

Common Sense prevails ....... (for now)

I agree completely with the above. The panic drops in residual values seen in December seems to have been acknowledged as overstated and people are starting to realise that there are some rediculous bargains to be had out there and buying.

Long may it continue!

My observation from the market is that there are some good deals now on Turbos but 997 GT3 prices seem to be holding up.
Big Bob

Big Bob said:
My observation from the market is that there are some good deals now on Turbos but 997 GT3 prices seem to be holding up.
Big Bob

Not necessarily true, I know of a couple of 997 GT3RS's that have gone for a song!

I hope they dont drop anymore, i think the market has to accept a bottom price of £30K for the 997 at the moment... they have lost so much already !!

There is a big shortage of decent used car stock at the moment as no-one has been part-exchanging against new cars. Also, most of the big dealers stopped buying any stock about 3 months ago (as they were losing £1000 a month on some of them).

Glasses Guide and CAP have been devaluing cars to the point that dealers cannot even buy good used stock at guide prices any more.

So, I think we are about to have an unusual situation where cars actually depreciate most a bit later in their life... i.e. hold their value better up to say 2-3 years, 20,000 miles (when they are a realistic alternative to a brand new car), but then drop substantially for the third owner market.

I may be wrong, but there will be a shortage of late, low-mileage stock for a couple of years at least with the current decline in new registrations.

Wattie said:
There is a big shortage of decent used car stock at the moment as no-one has been part-exchanging against new cars. Also, most of the big dealers stopped buying any stock about 3 months ago (as they were losing £1000 a month on some of them).

Glasses Guide and CAP have been devaluing cars to the point that dealers cannot even buy good used stock at guide prices any more.

So, I think we are about to have an unusual situation where cars actually depreciate most a bit later in their life... i.e. hold their value better up to say 2-3 years, 20,000 miles (when they are a realistic alternative to a brand new car), but then drop substantially for the third owner market.

I may be wrong, but there will be a shortage of late, low-mileage stock for a couple of years at least with the current decline in new registrations.

LONG LIVE MARK PEARCE (STIRLINGS) Thank you for not dropping your standards. Your market is returning!

Jamie said:
Wattie said:

LONG LIVE MARK PEARCE (STIRLINGS) Thank you for not dropping your standards. Your market is returning!

+1.

Pete

Damian said:
Big Bob said:
Big Bob

Not necessarily true, I know of a couple of 997 GT3RS's that have gone for a song!

Quite right Damian. However one might want to reflect on the fact that the second owner of the 997 GT3 editions may want a daily driver rather than a more "track day" focused vehicle. I considered the GT3RS and found that most of the vehicle specs offered did not provide the features that "standard" GT3s did that made the car more "daily user friendly".
I certaimly did not want the Club Sport Roll Bars, but did want the Sports Bucket Seats trimmed in leather for example. I did want Sound Plus, and PCM plus etc etc, and the Telephone Module. I did not want a plastic non heated rear screen either.
I think that might therefore explain cheaper RS versions.
Best Regards Big Bob

I have another theory why 997 prices are lower than one might expect - the original owners ordered them in boring colours like black, dark blues, greys and silvers.
Who wants to own a Porsche and drive a "boring colour"
Not me bring on Speed Yellow and Guards Red, Maritime Blue, Viper Green etc etc
Big Bob

Big Bob said:
Damian said:
Big Bob said:
Big Bob

Quite right Damian. However one might want to reflect on the fact that the second owner of the 997 GT3 editions may want a daily driver rather than a more "track day" focused vehicle. I considered the GT3RS and found that most of the vehicle specs offered did not provide the features that "standard" GT3s did that made the car more "daily user friendly".
I certaimly did not want the Club Sport Roll Bars, but did want the Sports Bucket Seats trimmed in leather for example. I did want Sound Plus, and PCM plus etc etc, and the Telephone Module. I did not want a plastic non heated rear screen either.
I think that might therefore explain cheaper RS versions.
Best Regards Big Bob

I'm financing a lot of 997's at the moment but haven't done a GT3 for a while and yes they do look cheap but probably time of year, as Bob states might be down to the type of buyers into the market.

Maybe a slowdown in the track day market due to economy or the weather. Who wants to be buying a GT3 when it has been very cold, icy, wet and miserable. There has always been greater demand in spring (certainly from my financing figures anyway).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back