Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Installing Sat Nav help.,,,

cambsguy

Spa-Francorchamps
Anyone know of any indee or individual who can install a satnav into my 2006 C2, Its fitted with the standard screen in dash, but havnt got the DVD player in boot, and not sure about the wiring...

idea of costing and if anyone can recommend where to go have it done,, spoken to OPC they want a small fortune...

many thanks

The retro fit kit is £1300 + vat + fitting
Porsche will charge you for 4.5 hours labour but it takes 6
so approx £2000

theres a module for the screen
dvd drive and a disc plus fibre optic wiring

i have retrofitted it myself via my OPC
Not a DIY job

and not really worth buying the bits of ebay

Hi,, thanks for comments back,, yes OPC quoted approx £2000, not sure about it yet,,,, need to ponder on it !!!

cambsguy, just be careful as it is a lot of money and my TomTon 500 is miles better. I just don't want you to be disappointed.

Pete

Thanks Pete,, It was just nice to have the sat nav built-in, but maybe not for £2k...(bit rich)

In my opinion
come resale time everyone wants it

but

You'll get more enjoyment from a sports exhaust for £1550

cambsguy, if you really want to install who am I to stop you, go for it as it's your money. Just ask some of the guys on here what they think of it before you do. You'll get a more balanced opinion that way. Do a search of the forum as it has been discussed many times before. For me now I have seen the system first hand I would still look for a car with it on as it helps in re-sale value but it isn't as good as other portable devices. If I'm going somewhere new I will use the PCM2 but keep the TomTom in reserve! That says a lot.

Pete

FWIW without Manufacturer Sat Nav I wouldn't even bother to come and look at your car if you were selling: Even if it was £2000 cheaper than an identical car with Sat Nav.

Main reasons:
a) Integrated sat nav carries on navigating even when satellites are masked by tall buildings / tunnels / trucks / bad weather
b) Don't have to remove it and carry it around with you to prevent it getting stolen (or get your windows smashed by people looking for your TomTom after seeing the sucker marks on the screen)
c) Resale value and desirability
d) Less clutter on the dashboard (not to mention power leads and cradles)

OK so you can get a high-end aftermarket one for a bit less, but it doesn't completely solve (a) above, and probably has the opposite effect of (c) to many people (can't get Porsche warranty for example).

Wattie said:
FWIW without Manufacturer Sat Nav I wouldn't even bother to come and look at your car if you were selling: Even if it was £2000 cheaper than an identical car with Sat Nav.

Main reasons:
a) Integrated sat nav carries on navigating even when satellites are masked by tall buildings / tunnels / trucks / bad weather
b) Don't have to remove it and carry it around with you to prevent it getting stolen (or get your windows smashed by people looking for your TomTom after seeing the sucker marks on the screen)
c) Resale value and desirability
d) Less clutter on the dashboard (not to mention power leads and cradles)

OK so you can get a high-end aftermarket one for a bit less, but it doesn't completely solve (a) above, and probably has the opposite effect of (c) to many people (can't get Porsche warranty for example).

Have to totally agree with this - my recent search for a 996 C4S turned up two very nice 996 C4S's one of which had the full screen nav while the other had the single DIN nav (like a radio display). He'd advertised it with "Nav" so I went to see the car. Even though it was really a first class car and well maintained, I didn't even consider it for fear of the resale further down the road. And yes, I have TomTom 7 (all Europe) on my phone and yes, it works as well or better than my current cars' SatNav (BMW 330Cic).

Call me an "in-car gadget snob" if you will but I guess a healthy proportion of people think like Wattie and myself.

(As it happens, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 997 C2 (with most options including Nav and PASM!) for the same price as the C4S's...) But that's another story :)

Gary.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back