Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

new warranty

peter thomas

i am keen to share experiences with regard to the inspection prior to taking out the new "more expansive warranty".

i was told today that the following need to be addressed before the car is eligible for the extended warranty:-

- cup holder sticking
- bosch wiper blades not acceptable
- slight crazing on brake pads?-need replacing on "safety" grounds, bearing in mind car past MOT today

how much should i expect to pay for replacing the pads at the opc

has anyone received a brochure from an opc setting out the terms of the new warranty. my opc wasn't offering this volentarily in order to sell it's benefits

does anyone know of an opc charging for the inspection, if you don't then take out the warranty

Have I got this right your local OPC wont issue an extended warranty unless you change the wiper blades? :dont know:
Since when have wiper blades been covered by a warrenty :?

As for your brake pad, I would expect there to be little if any change from £500, including the pads and bits and bobs.
Use a an indy or DIY it.

yes. they want the wipers replaced before warranty can be obtained.

regarding the brake pads, i said i would replace them myself. naturally there was a big frown, after which they said they would review thier quote

i will ring some indis tomorrow, as i have read elsewhere that the opc''s may be overzelous on the pads issue

peter thomas said:
yes. they want the wipers replaced before warranty can be obtained.

regarding the brake pads, i said i would replace them myself. naturally there was a big frown, after which they said they would review thier quote

i will ring some indis tomorrow, as i have read elsewhere that the opc''s may be overzelous on the pads issue

OMG what are they thinking :what:

I bought my 997 last Jan and as part of the deal got an extra years warranty. Because it had already been issued my car didn't have to be inspected when it kicked in, in Dec. Good job, as I've just fitted some performance friction disc's and pad's. Was hoping to argue what they are just aftermarket parts and therefore shouldn't effect warrenty as disc are not covered. Don't think that's going to work :floor:

One question though. If you go through with the work and pay for the extended warrenty, do you have to go through another inspection in 12 months time before you can extend the warrenty again? And therefore have the pleasure of being told by OPC you need new pad/ disc's again before they will except the car?

from what i have read elsewhere, the inspection is annual, so yes there is a risk of new pads every year!!!!!!

Out of the scores of people I have spoken or heard of not one has had their car passed through the pre-warrenty check without atleast one problem (usually brakes) being "found." These are meant to be premium durable solid cars not some 1970's Italian-made rust buckets.

Take your business to another OPC atleast. That cup holder reason is the most ridiculous I have ever heard. I would love to see them stand that up in court. And how can your windscreen wipers have any effect on your engine blowing a gasket, or coil as they seem to do regularly.

peter thomas said:
i am keen to share experiences with regard to the inspection prior to taking out the new "more expansive warranty".

i was told today that the following need to be addressed before the car is eligible for the extended warranty:-

- cup holder sticking
- bosch wiper blades not acceptable
- slight crazing on brake pads?-need replacing on "safety" grounds, bearing in mind car past MOT today

how much should i expect to pay for replacing the pads at the opc

has anyone received a brochure from an opc setting out the terms of the new warranty. my opc wasn't offering this volentarily in order to sell it's benefits

does anyone know of an opc charging for the inspection, if you don't then take out the warranty

Is this some kind of joke ?!!! Seriously, you need to bin this opc and go elsewhere... some opc's are being a bit more sensible with the new wtee than others... only issue is it prob means another £200 to do the initial check.

Opc's are really shooting themselves in the foot with this attitude, they are going to lose all goodwill that previously loyal customers had towards them.

This attitude towards warranties is beyond a joke. It is clear that the OPCs are trying to use the warranty as a blunt instrument to force people to:

a) Buy cars from them
b) Give them money for unnecessary work - every year.

What the hell are they thinking, with the current state of affairs in this market, they should be encouraging people into the brand. This sort of thing will drive people away - a little goodwill goes a long way and realistically all they have to do is go back to the warranty they used to offer last year, and should NEVER HAVE CHANGED.

The cupholder thing is unbelievable. :frustrated:

Hi Peter, can you just clarify for me that the OPC really did tell you that it would not renew warrenty over the cup holder or was it just a note that it needed attention.

I have mentioned it to other real Porsche fans and they don't believe it and think it must be some kind of wind up. Even better did they give you a written report or anything that you scan in and post up - obviously block out any personal data first.

I am getting javascript:emoticon(':floor:') more than when I first read your post at the mo.

I think it does depend on the OPC. For those of you that know my car it went through no problem (apart from the "discussion" about the Kenwood unit) and it is not exactly standard.

OPC Mid Sussex do seem to be taking a more sensible approach to the warranty renewal than some other OPC's.

Dave said:
I think it does depend on the OPC. For those of you that know my car it went through no problem (apart from the "discussion" about the Kenwood unit) and it is not exactly standard.

OPC Mid Sussex do seem to be taking a more sensible approach to the warranty renewal than some other OPC's.

glad you mentioned them Dave as I will be visiting them shortly and know a mechanic there called Keith.

I need to check my Warranty as I bought my car at OPC Guildford last April and they would of only given me 1 year :?: :?: is that Correct :?: :?:

My car has been in for a warranty inspection at Cardiff and I found them to be really helpful in explaining what I needed to do.
They even offered to put my car on the workshop lift and one of their techcs would take me through the items which needed rectifying. I can't ask any more than that. :)

OPC Solihull issued my warranty recently. Were going to refuse it on grounds of a cut in rear tyre but issued it on basis that I would sort the tyre out myself. Grounds for refusal were that they would not honour the warranty on an 'unsafe' car.

Wouldn't want anyone to think this was a complaint about Solihull. My dealings have been expensive but good so far.

997addict said:
Hi Peter, can you just clarify for me that the OPC really did tell you that it would not renew warrenty over the cup holder or was it just a note that it needed attention.

I have mentioned it to other real Porsche fans and they don't believe it and think it must be some kind of wind up. Even better did they give you a written report or anything that you scan in and post up - obviously block out any personal data first.

I am getting javascript:emoticon(':floor:') more than when I first read your post at the mo.

porsche gb confirmed today that the cup holders are covered by the extended warranty, therefore they need to be in full functional order before they will grant the application of the warranty.

they also advised that the wipers have to be original equipment, just in case a failure of the blades leads to an adverse impact on an item that is covered by the warranty

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back