Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 carrera

Gra123

Hi everybody,

I am yet another newbie who after years of deliberation is finally going to take the plunge and by my dream car.

The thing is, I am looking to buy a c2s for everyday use and would like to know , do forum members find that thier cars to be reliable? I have read some things about rms problems, and exploding engines which obviously concern me a bit, but are these rarities or common problems.

Also on the rms subject, if the car has a leaky seal is it easily spotted by looking underneath the car?

I would also appreciate any other tips that the members could give me on what to look for when buying a 997.

Thanks in advance. Gra

With the 2 year / 20,000 mile servicing interval 997's are a more affordable car in day to day running costs

RMS i wouldn't worry to much about, have a car inspected before you buy it, most OPC's will do it with alarge contribution of goowill if your a private motorist rather than the trade who they give no goodwill contribution to.
Buy a car with a good warranty that will pay a £10,000 max claim and a £110 an hour labour rate and you will be OK, ( i.e. like the onc=e that i give with all my cars) or put the Porsche warranty on the car but you have to of owned it for 90 days to do so and its £1350 PA

The cars to watch are the ones coming up to 4 years old and due the 2nd service.
You neeed to think its not what you pay for the car but what you could spend on it in the next 6 months, I'm having more and more enquiries from customers thinking they can buy a car for £31/32K,

The danger is new set of tyres £900, repaint the front bumper bonnet and wings for stone chips, £1200, 2nd service inc spark plugs and brake fluid £7/800 and if it needs discs and pads all round another £1600, so suddenly that cheap private sale 30,000 mile car at £32 is up to £37/38 when you could of got a 20,000 mile car for a couple of £000 more fully prepared serviced and with a warranty from me,

So allways pre purchase inspection, decent warranty and enjoy,
These cars look very good value at the moment but forget the 3.6 only buy an 3.8

Thanks for your help Mark.

Are you recommending one of the warranties that is renewed anually or just buying a car with a twelve month warranty which would give piece of mind about the purchase? Aside of servicing costs though, should the 997 be pretty bullet proof?

Mark's too much of a gent to say it, so I will: If Mark has something suitable in stock - buy it from him!

Seriously, people who care as much about their customers and their reputation as much as Mark are few and far between - especially in the current climate, where there is a temptation for some others to put survival ahead of integrity :wink:

(oh, and welcome!)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back