Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Deal on a 997 Turbo....

allsop

Hi Guys,

Newbie to the Porsche scene here.

Currently running a couple of Impreza's (P1 & 22B) but a huge fan of the 997 Turbo!

I have tested one before (think the asking price was £101,000...) which was a year or so ago and was amazed at how effortless the acceleration is compared to the Scoobs.

I have since noticed the decline in values and have been looking into buying one but really not sure in the value of these cars now so looking for opinions....

I have been out to see a couple of '06 Models at the 12-14,000mile mark and have been offered a nice one for £55,000. Now, I know that is little £££ for what these cars are but what do you guys think?

Anything going to be wrong with the cars for the cheapness or am I just getting a genuine bargain?

All opinions greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Chris
:thumbs:

They are pretty bulletproof..
At 55K its a steal..

I would also add :sad:

garyw

£55K is a steal, may sound a touch too cheap. They are selling at £65K ish. Is it at a dealership or private? Have you seen the car and what is the conditon, is it due tyres or service soon?

If private you should get a Pre Purchase Inspection done (PPI)

It is a private seller that seems genuine enough.

Says the car has had 6previous owners though :eek: one of which was the dealership but still...........minimal miles but lots of owners??

Can't understand why that would be.

Last service was at start of November '08 and has covered 300miles since then.

Tyres still have a good bit of life in them aswell.

General condition is almost perfect, could do with a polish to remove the odd swirl mark (if I'm being really fussy....) but apart from that looks fresh out of the factory 8)

I'm heading back down south at the weekend to see the guy again and hopefully drive a nice 997 Turbo home.....anything else I should be looking for? I have read through the 111Point Check thing and I have already looked at all susp. joints/brakes/looked for engine leaks etc. but all seems A-ok.

Having come from the Subaru scene I guess I am just finding it hard to accept there wil be nothing wrong with it!

All private sellers seem genuie.....buyer beware :roll:

Wouldn't touch a private purchase of such a car without full PPI, HPI and manufacturers warranty (that they put on). Especially one that is unusually cheap - is it a ugly colour combination or repaired :dont know:

6 owners on an '06 car.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

RUN AWAY! :bye: :bye:

I know these cars change hands a lot more frequently than everyday cars, but 6 owners in less than 3 years is ridiculous...

There has to be something wrong? :?:

Has it had a significant accident for example, but wasn't declared (maybe while being driven by somebody not covered by the owner's comprehensive Insurance?) In this case it won't be recorded as Cat C or D...

Up to you mate, but it is so cheap there has to be a reason and if the current owner is not being upfront about that, what else are they not being upfront about?

I learned a valuable lesson about private sellers when buying a horse some years ago: A really sweet and innocent 18 year-old girl assured us it had passed a vet test recently with flying colours, but the buyer had been made redundant and had backed out of the deal. Fortunately, we decided to spend £300 on our own vet test and discovered it was of more value to Pedigree Petfoods than it was to us! A real shame as he was a lovely horse, but could never be ridden again... So much for the honesty of private sellers...

Get a PPI - our £300 investment only saved us £3,000 15 years ago, for less than that you could save yourself a heck of a lot more - possibly even your life!

How long do the Porsche warranties run? Is it possible to extend them etc.?

The combination is black/black and has never been in an accident so nothing unusual there :?

I guess I could always accept the car for £55k and put it through a PPI later. From what I have read about these checks they are nothing I don't normally do when looking to buy a car anyway having worked on a number of other marques.

Think it is my suspicious mind working over time but as they say, there is no such thing as a genuine bargain (or however that saying goes........)

Good point about the warranty- will have to look into that. :thumb:

caveat emptor...

So what is the explanation given by the seller for the price and the number of owners?

The car is £10,000 cheaper than the next nearest price-wise that I could find: If you've somehow stumbled upon the most naive seller on the planet, has he got anything else to give away, sorry, I mean sell? :thumb:

Good use of Latin..... :lol:

It didn't really hit me until I got home but he didn't even try to give an explanation....lol

He certainly has plenty of cash going by his palace in the country....on my way there I noticed an R8 and F430 so I can only hope he has got too much £££ and/or just wants it sold. Is moving to Oz in June so looks to be "clearing out" :thumbs:

Love the cars tho so if you guys say it is a good price then it is being pur-chased! :)

Post some pics when you get it mate and welcome to 911uk

If it is clean, then I see no reason to sell it for 55K
The seller may be quite well off, but there's usually a good reason they are!
Okay the ownership that high would ring alarm bells to me, I sold a 996 Turbo as it could only manage 2K on a set of rear tyres- so obviously something wrong (had it geo checked and was OK :? ) my point is 55K is giving it away..
However if its clean then you've won a bargain Turbo

garyw

:yeah: Number of owners would scare me. You'll have to sell it on equally as cheap because next buyer after you will be 8th owner.

~ Maxie :?:

Love the cars tho so if you guys say it is a good price then it is being pur-chased! :)

allsop, I hope you don't regret buying this. There are too many previous owners for this car to be genuine and the price just gives it away.

Listen to Wattie and the others who have the experience. Give Mark Pearce a ring at Stirlings to discuss this. He will give you free advice, he did for me and I didn't buy off him.

As for the inspection if you are going to buy then get a PPI done by Peter Morgan BEFORE you buy and not after.

http://www.porscheinspections.com/

The last thing we want to find is you asking us on here to resolve problems of handling, knocking noises and unreliability.

Hope things work out for you.

Best regards

Peter

get an HPI report done now and find how many times the plate has changed - a proper one thats not a few quid online. Sometimes the DVLA add an owner when a private plate is changed. Don't know why - mess up by DVLA?

I agree, get a PPI before as a bad car isn't worth the hassle even for a £10K saving if no discerning buyer will ever buy it off you in the future if a PPI shows up something then that you missed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back