Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help, looking to buy a 997 with satnav question

cambsguy

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, In process of buying a 997 carrera 2006, the car has the big screen (see pic) in the centre consul, however having checked the codes from the hand book, none of them correspond to a satnav,, Ae all 997 now fitted with the screen type centres or only the ones with satNav, having tried to switch the satnav, its telling me its not running, the vendor is telling me thats because there is no disk,,

is this correct that the satnav will not work if no disk.. !!!!

Attachments

• 997_131.jpg
    997_131.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 4,288
Er... yes!

The disc he's referring to is the navigation disc - with all the maps on it!

I'm not completely au-fait with PCM in the 997, but I believe they all have the screen, and the navigation module is a cost option?

dose it have the dvd reader, located in the front boot just under the windscreen (separate to the CD changer but similar location i.e behind the black plastic covers )

Yes all 997's came with the big screen .

if you press the main and trip buttons together it should list all the modules (and versions ) installed

Hi and Welcome

Yes, Wattie is correct in that the satnav (if fitted) will not work without the disc. So the first thing you need to do is double check that the PCM with Navigation is on the spec. To check this, pop the front bonnet and lift the vertical cubby hole door. If you can see a DVD player inside marked Porsche Navigation, bingo. If it's not there, walk away from the lying scrote who's trying to sell the car to you.

Secondly, assuming that the satnav is installed, make sure that you get a disc, because a replacement will cost you about £400

Clive

I agree with other comments. All 997's come with the PCM screen as standard. Easiest way to see if it has Nav Module is to check in the boot for the DVD player. And if it is there, is useless without discs as they cost a fortune.

There are plenty of 997's on the market at good prices and I would suggest that if the dealer is telling you fibs he might not know what he is talking about. Also, if it is just the discs which are missing - what else might not be right with the car?

.....or just press the button marked 'NAV' on the dashboard (under the PCM monitor itself) and see if a map displays on the screen? That will tell you if its a nav equipped car or not.

~ Maxie

i wouldnt let that put you off as the porsche sat nat is no good anyways get a navman or similar which is clearer and easier to use! i now have a navman s50 and is much better than porsche unit also only £100.

Agree with Cowman about an aftermarket unit being better than the standard Porsche unit but the bottom line is that 997s without the Porsche satnav are a lot harder to sell in the current market and so the price of the car would have to be cheap - otherwise I'd walk away.
David

I agree, the PCM Nav is very poor compared to a portable unit but someone buying a £30K+ premium car expects it to have Nav now. For the amount I use Nav, I much prefer a poorer built in unit to a portable one as I hate the whole concept of sticking to the screen and having cables here there and everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back