Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Ipod Interface

mark pearce

Singapore
Porsche have finally produced an aftermarket Ipod connector
Introduced in April
£499 inc vat including fitting
the kit incorporates a cradle that fits in the centre transmission tunnel cubby box
I'm having one fitted on wednesday to a 997 and will post photos and report on how it works.

My local OPC tell me that they have seen some cars with denison kits which are throwing up spurious fault codes on the PCM.

In view of the stories of the new warranty inspection being very anti aftermarket anything this may be the way forward for so many music lovers

The friendly guys at OPC exeter might even give a little discount :wink:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/flash/tequipment/997/catalogue/en/index.htm#/36/

Porsche helped develop the mObridge in the first place, and the mObridge is a Porsche Dealer Fit Option by Porsche Australia (where the mObridge originally comes from).

I actually wonder if it's the same?

The Dension unit, on the other hand, occasionally misbehaves because Dension reverse engineer the interface (they are not an authorised Apple developer) and it is primarily a universal kit for all cars.

mark pearce said:
Porsche have finally produced an aftermarket Ipod connector
Introduced in April
£499 inc vat including fitting
the kit incorporates a cradle that fits in the centre transmission tunnel cubby box
I'm having one fitted on wednesday to a 997 and will post photos and report on how it works.

My local OPC tell me that they have seen some cars with denison kits which are throwing up spurious fault codes on the PCM.

In view of the stories of the new warranty inspection being very anti aftermarket anything this may be the way forward for so many music lovers

The friendly guys at OPC exeter might even give a little discount :wink:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/flash/tequipment/997/catalogue/en/index.htm#/36/

about time a factory version came out

but as it says works with cdr-24 which means 997's only ?

not back into the 996 gen ?

Attachments

• ipod_172.jpg
    ipod_172.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 9,664
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the product description says "operation is via the music player" :( whereas I believe a mObridge unit would allow control of an iPod via the PCM screen.

I see this as a serious disadvantage for the Porsche installation, but I guess that on the upside, it does mean you can retain the CD changer.

Clive

Evil_C said:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the product description says "operation is via the music player" :( whereas I believe a mObridge unit would allow control of an iPod via the PCM screen.

I see this as a serious disadvantage for the Porsche installation, but I guess that on the upside, it does mean you can retain the CD changer.

Clive

I agree - it's a long way back in the car to be trying to fumble for the iPod controls, never mind look at the display.

Evil_C said:

Clive

I agree - it's a long way back in the car to be trying to fumble for the iPod controls, never mind look at the display.

Matthew Reece said:
Evil_C said:

Clive

Porsche are having a laugh at £499 for their FM transmitter that appears plugged into the iPod to 'look' integrated but isn't. You can effectively buy the same device as a £30 Griffin from a computer/hifi store.

And regarding the control via the PCM screen or via the iPod... has anyone tried selecting 'track 3' on their 'Madonna Playlist' directly on the iPod attached to the 10cm cable stuck inside the centre armrest while driving WITHOUT crashing?

IMHO this is such a dangerous option that it should be banned. It's far more dangerous than even texting on your mobile phone.

iPod integration into your PCM screen so that it functions as part of the car audio hifi system is the only 'safe' option IMHO.

I dont believe its a FM transmitter,
The Porsche Price allows for 4 hours fitting time, which my Local OPC think is not enough.
Will report in detail with photos on wednesday

Such is my dedication to you guys I ve even gone and bought an IPod!!

Now how do i put my vinyl collection on it :floor:

mark pearce said:
I dont believe its a FM transmitter,
Teh Porsche Price allows for 4 hours fitting time, which my Local OPC think is not enough.
Will report in detail with photos on wednesday

Such is my dedication to you guys I ve even gone and bought an IPod!!

Now how do i put my vinyl collection on it :floor:

Porsche's iPod connector [at the moment] is an FM transmitter that looks exactly the same as the picture you posted up.

If they have now changed it to at least be an audio analogue input, then that would be interesting. HTH

Re: Any update Mark?

dazzpowder said:
Is it controlled from the PCM?

Not the Porsche one - you have to control it via the iPod itself.

But the mObridge one is, yes.

I purchased new C4S a few months ago, ipod was & is a big issue to me, in the deal OPC Exeter agreed to fit the Porsche ipod interface. It is COMPLETELY HOPELESS no control on PCM, it very dangerous in operation, the sound quality is extremely poor, I am currently saving for a MoBridge & the sooner I forget about the Porsche (so called answer) the better.

DON'T DO IT....... save your money, it's rubish.

I have the mObridge ipod and bluetooth unit in my 2008 997.1 and it's great. It was fitted by Porsche Australia prior to me getting the car and works via the PCM as mentioned above. Navigation can be a little fiddly so I normally pull over to change albums and sound quality is OK rather than brilliant but that's an ipod vs CD thing (Australian cars come with BOSE as standard).

Had one factory fitted to my GTS, remember if you have an I-phone, especially the 3G version, it will play off the PCM but it will not charge the phone at the same time, so it will drain the phone battery. Remember to disconnect your i-pod when not in the car, as it will constantly drain the car battery, even with the keys out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back