Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Centre query??

Pzerohero

Hi folks, I bought a 56K mile 2.5 yr old 997S from a lease company, the car has been maintained in accordance with the official schedule.

It has gone in for a slightly early 60K mile service & I was informed by the OPC that I had a leak on the rear main oil seal, and they wanted £1000 to replace the gasket.

I begrudgingly agreed (despite never having seen any oil leaking from the car).

Today I get a call that my cluch is 80% worn & needs replacing at £550.

Is this a scam? I had an RS4 previously & the original clutch lasted 120K miles!

Note Porsche also charged £250 to replace spark plugs!

Any advice much appreciated. Should I keep my old clutch?? I've never noticed any issues with the clutch.

Cheers!

Steve

Scam no, but thats why they are affectionately known as stealers. :lol:

Its common practice certainly on 996s when doing the RMS to replace the clutch if its on its way as it reduces the overall labout time hence 'only' £550, so I guess similar for 997.

Did you buy the car with a warranty? Its highly advisable and the RMS issue would have justified the cost.

A 911 is not an RS4 :wink:

ETA - Changing ALL plugs is a pain in the arse on 911s, I have been quoted labour cost of £175 + VAT to replace all my HT leads on my 993.

Hi Steve,

I am pretty sure that a 997S clutch will not last 120k unless it is driven daily by your grandmother. I'd say that it's done well to last as long as it has if you dont use the car beyond driving test speeds every time you use it. On the grounds of commonsense it is wise that if a clutch looks worn when the engine is out for an RMS issue, to replace it thus removing the need for the engine to come out again in 3 months time when the clutch really is down to its rivets.

It is your clutch so I would ask to see it and take it with you to get a 2nd opinion!

Not so sure about the cost of the spark plug replacement. Was this cost with the engine already out?? If so then they are having your pants down. If not then thats the going rate at the £120.00+scat an hour that you pay for nice coffee and a porsche towel in the bog. However....what menu price does the Porsche UK site say for changing plugs? I didnt think it was that much!!!

UPDATE...I have had a look at the OPC menu pricing and spark plug change is £193 with the disclaimer "Prices are only valid in conjunction with a service". But for them to ask the extra money when you are spending over £1500 with them seems just downright greedy to me!! And if the engine was out already then that plug fitting charge is disgraceful.

Regards,

Ian

Im my experience, its no con
porsche clutches are not the longest lasting in the world
I ve changed clutches on 18000 mile car especially if from central london
I would expect to change the clutch whilst doing the RMS on most cars with circa 30,000 miles plus

Thanks for the advice, I bit the bullit & took the new clutch, one less thing to worry about I guess!

Cheers again

Steve

they need to pay for their christmas holidays in Barbados some how :floor: !

I would of knocked them down on price, if you don't ask you don't get.

mark pearce said:
Im my experience, its no con
porsche clutches are not the longest lasting in the world
I ve changed clutches on 18000 mile car especially if from central london
I would expect to change the clutch whilst doing the RMS on most cars with circa 30,000 miles plus

exactly you can't compare a audi estate to a proper Porsche 911, a sports cars !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back