Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

how to get more out of my 997

doctorlanning

Silverstone
as i am new to all this...was wondering if anyone had some advice re getting more out of my 997...ie, i have been on some websites and they have parts for sale that can increase performance by 3-5 bhp...what is the current thought on this and if there are any other suggestions, i am open to all.
thanks

DrLanning,

Is 325 or 355bhp depending on your unit not enough? My C2S is more than enough on the road. I haven't tracked yet but will in time so will probably want more in the future. Already discussed with the missus today that I would like a turbo in say 10 years time. She already told me that I wouldn't wait that long! :thumbs: Sounds like the green light to me. :viking:

You can have an engine remap which will take you to 381 if you have a 'S' which at a good tuner will be £3-400. That's the sensible way forward as will not invalidate any opc warranty. If you start non opc speccing your 997 and something goes wrong it's open season for opc to say no! :cry:

Other than always running on super unleaded which will add a few bhp if you weren't that's it from me.

Anyone else any other suggestions?

Pete

remap

pete,
thanks...i do have an s and am very interested in the engine remap...at a cost of 3-400...sounds like good value...where do i go to get this done?
how long does it take to do?

I've read threads on where to get this done but can't remember. Depends where you are in the country where you go. I haven't had this done but if no-one else responds do a search on the forum using key phrases like remap, x51, chip etc.

I did a quick search and found someone saying www.chipwizards.co.uk were the king!

Happy searching. If you have it done and it is really beneficial post or let me know as I will consider it even though only after 2 months I haven't got used to the acceleration yet!

Somebody help us out.

Pete

Good luck getting any contact from Chipwizards, I've sent countless emails to them and never once got a reply. I believe they are aircooled experts but never heard any watercooled feedback.

As for price, £3-400 is wishfull thinking, REVO and GIAC start at around £700, DMS is ALOT more and all only quote +25bhp results when included with an improved exhaust package. I'd be very surprised if you could get +30bhp for only £400, infact I'd be shocked. Sorry to sound so cynical but you just don't get that kind of increase for nothing... Also some re-mapping can be detected by your OPC and if found will invalidate parts of your warranty. Look into this before commiting to buy. The only power upgrade that OPC will 100% honour claims on is the X51 pack (381bhp on the 7S), and you're looking in the high 4 figures...

This is all just my opinion (together with alot of online research) I'd be very glad to be shown otherwise though as I'm looking to do this early in 2009...

Check DMS automotive, Porscheshop, Parr, Design911, Regal-auto, Oakley design, 9m, and Fearnsport amongst others

Good luck :thumb:

pete, thanks...i will have a look at the site/keywords...also, i just had a sport exhaust fitted and someone said that the exhaust will cut in and out is there some sort of bypass? any thoughts?

Stuart said:
Good luck getting any contact from Chipwizards, I've sent countless emails to them and never once got a reply. I believe they are aircooled experts but never heard any watercooled feedback.

As for price, £3-400 is wishfull thinking, REVO and GIAC start at around £700, DMS is ALOT more and all only quote +25bhp results when included with an improved exhaust package. I'd be very surprised if you could get +30bhp for only £400, infact I'd be shocked. Sorry to sound so cynical but you just don't get that kind of increase for nothing... Also some re-mapping can be detected by your OPC and if found will invalidate parts of your warranty. Look into this before commiting to buy. The only power upgrade that OPC will 100% honour claims on is the X51 pack (381bhp on the 7S), and you're looking in the high 4 figures...

This is all just my opinion (together with alot of online research) I'd be very glad to be shown otherwise though as I'm looking to do this early in 2009...

Check DMS automotive, Porscheshop, Parr, Design911, Regal-auto, Oakley design, 9m, and Fearnsport amongst others

Good luck :thumb:

Stuart, you may be right. I did a few searches on cost a few months ago. Entered my car details and it came up with a price that is what I quoted. I left it at that so don't know even if that was ex-VAT or whether there were further costs involved. I live in Lancs so have a few options to choose from. If anyone has experience of cost effective good tuners then I'm listening.

Pete

Pete Hadfield said:
Stuart, you may be right. I did a few searches on cost a few months ago. Entered my car details and it came up with a price that is what I quoted. I left it at that so don't know even if that was ex-VAT or whether there were further costs involved. I live in Lancs so have a few options to choose from. If anyone has experience of cost effective good tuners then I'm listening.

Pete

Pete, I'd love to be proved wrong as I've seen Pendle's site and their quoted gains. Even with a custom map coming in at £500 that is still amazing value. I've yet to see any feedback for them on any site though, even if they are board sponsors here... It's pretty far for me to travel to but at that price it almost seems worth it.

I'd be very cautious of any claims though, you see bhp quotes tossed around all the time but I doubt Porsche gave a +30bhp 'window' when all they can get is an extra 26bhp with new headers, exhaust and remap IIRC...

Thanks for your reply Stuart. I think we need to throw this subject open to the wider team to find out about how successful remaps have been for bhp v cost etc. If I took my 13 month old 997 c2s into Pendle, asked them to test what bhp i was currently getting, then they guarenteed at least xxbhp more then I would go for it.

Anyone from the tuners even Pendle listening? :?:

Pete

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back