Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 PDK 24-hour test drive tomorrow

Wattie

Zandvoort
Had a letter inviting me to have a 24-hour test-drive as I had bought my last car from the local OPC (which I hadn't by the way :?: )

I was very honest and said my last car wasn't new and neither would my next one be, but the guy was quite insistent, so what the heck :D

I guess it will be a test of how desperate they are to sell cars at the moment: If they can get me out of my 996 and into a 997 at a monthly payment I can afford, they must be giving them away... :floor:

Wattie, what are you going to do if you really like it? The prices have plumetted recently with some private sellers asking for bargain prices. Must be short of cash.

Pete

I'm sure I will really like it, but I'm one of the people affected by the credit crunch myself, with £6,000 worth of work cancelled in the last couple of weeks alone! So short of anticipating a substantial win on the lottery the salesperson will be wasting his time even doing the maths I'm afraid! :lol:

I'm lucky that my job has made me quite used to driving all sorts of exciting cars that I can't afford, so I'm sure I will cope :wink:

apw2007 said:
Can you make it to the Ring and back in 24 hrs :?:

Doubt it, but I'm limited in mileage anyway :(

Silverstone is on my doorstep though :wink: could do about 20 laps and still put less than 100 miles on the clock :thumb:

I wonder if there's a track day on Tuesday? :?:

damn those 24 hour test drives !

I had 2 invites for the 997 gen 1's but each time I was away or busy with work... which is probably why I got 'em, cheeky gits !

1st 997 I drove was a Gen 2 Can with PDK, feedback to the salesman after 5 mins, 'I thought it would have been quicker....'

Wattie said:
I'm sure I will really like it, but I'm one of the people affected by the credit crunch myself, with £6,000 worth of work cancelled in the last couple of weeks alone! So short of anticipating a substantial win on the lottery the salesperson will be wasting his time even doing the maths I'm afraid! :lol:

I'm lucky that my job has made me quite used to driving all sorts of exciting cars that I can't afford, so I'm sure I will cope :wink:

Sorry to hear your credit crunch woes. Sounds like an exciting job with all the various cars. Are you a spy? :bandit:

Pete

Pete Hadfield said:
Sorry to hear your credit crunch woes. Sounds like an exciting job with all the various cars. Are you a spy? :bandit:

Pete

Not quite :wink:

...Although I did get my first Porsche after mystery shopping the dealer with a hidden camera in my tie :D

Mostly I am a business trainer and I work primarily in the auto industry: last year's highlight involved a performance comparison between M3, IS F, RS4 and C63 on a racetrack in Spain... Tough job, but someone has to do it :hand:

Nice work if you can get it. Again I hope things work out with your business dealings. Don't take it out on the car. Somebody here will be buying it in 6 months time!

Pete

Wattie, took me a while but after reading multiple posts from yourself, now I know who you are. None other than THE STIG!!!

~ Maxie :D

Don't expect to hear anything from Wattie today. Hope your having fun with the PDK!

Jamie said:
Don't expect to hear anything from Wattie today. Hope your having fun with the PDK!

Picking it up at 2:00 pm :D

I need cheering up, as we had our first horse fatality yesterday and that had to be dealt with this morning... not much fun I'm afraid :(

OK, first thoughts after a few hours in disgusting weather and too much traffic...

Apologies to anyone who has just spent a fortune on one of these, but I'm actually quite disappointed overall :eek: The seats are awful in comparison to my 996, the suspension crashes and bumps on our hideous roads and has actually given me a headache - and that's in 'Normal' mode with PASM. I also don't think that the steering is as good as mine - it doesn't provide as much feedback.

However, the performance is fantastic (it's a C2S) and the PDK gear-change speed is mind-boggling fast.

I would definitely want a 4WD version myself though - wheelspin trying to pull out of junctions is something I had forgotten about, having had quattros and C4s for 10 years now.

Will go and play with the PCM this evening to see if it should have won the award or not (although it's a bit pants not having full postcode entry), and then have another drive in the morning before I have to take it back at lunchtime.

Maybe a dry morning (as forecast) and clearer roads might change my mind, but at the moment there is no way that I would pay the £50k++ difference on top of the value of my 996 for this one. :oops:

Attachments

• dsc_2689_139.jpg
    dsc_2689_139.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 7,132
It's a great car and all. I recognised that when I drove one at Silverstone. On paper it may well be a much improved car from the Gen1 also but the Gen1 is also a great car so in the fullness of time I can't see that people will be paying largely over the odds for a second hand example over the Gen1 thus with current Gen1 prices - a new Gen2 looks like financial suicide??

Jamie said:
It's a great car and all. I recognised that when I drove one at Silverstone. On paper it may well be a much improved car from the Gen1 also but the Gen1 is also a great car so in the fullness of time I can't see that people will be paying largely over the odds for a second hand example over the Gen1 thus with current Gen1 prices - a new Gen2 looks like financial suicide??

Financial suicide? Thing is, if buyers were worried about that then pretty much any new car is to be avoided. Most people are cushioned from it a bit by taking out finance so only see a monthly cost I suppose. Still, you are right, they're not an investment! Don't know about future values but there will certainly be a LOT less Gen2 cars on the market than Gen1 IMHO so they should hold a premium over Gen1.

I have just taken delivery of a Gen2 Carrera 4S PDK and I think it's a simply amazing car. Still, what else would I say since I just shelled out for it......

I had a Gen1 C2S tiptronic before and it's not as characterful as that one (isn't that what every motoring journalist says about every new generation of iconic sportscar?) but by any standard it is a top class car. Acceleration is stunning, especially in Sport Plus, (sports) seats are great (never sat in a 996 to compare) and cornering and grip are amazing, even in the wet. The PDK is on another planet compared to Tiptronic (the main reason I got out of the C2S).

My 14YO daughter's favourite feature is the ipod interface! She doesn't seem interested in PDK, PASM and Sports Chrono for some reason......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back