Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

alignment

doctorlanning

Silverstone
question...driving on city roads my 997 c2s seems to go in a straight line however, on motorways it seems to pull to the left...someone said that due to the size of the rear tyres and the development of grooves in the motorway, it is possible this may be contributing to the pulling...does this seem reasonable or should i get the wheel geometry/alignment checked?

Not sure! Doesn't the motorway have a natural camber on the road which will steer you to the left anyway?

A 997 should steer itself no other way than where the wheel is pointing. I learnt/experienced that at Millbrook even at high speeds and with no hands on the wheel. Occasionally if you are driving in heavy ruts where the road has sank with HGV's then it will pull in that direction.

I would get it checked out.

Hi doctorlanning - your car pulling to one direction is almost certainly due to grooves in the road caused by HGVs, especially if you have already revealed that it doesn't do this on city roads. My 996 had this habit too; my suggestion to you is to press down on the accelerator a bit more and use the outside lanes on the M-way.

~ Maxie :wink:

Motorways do have a camber to the left for drainage reasons (some are better/worse than others for this).

However, the inside lane is a nightmare on most motorways in the UK as the grooves are getting really deep in some places... If you think it's bad in a Porsche, you want to try coming in and out of the inside lane in this...

dsc_1545_small_271.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back