Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeeky Clutch pedal - apparently cant be oiled?

tedzwedz

Suzuka
Hi there

My C2 3.4 occasionally has a squeek in its clutch pedal when i depress it from start up, tends to dissappear after a bit (or i no longer notice)

Charles Ivey in Fulham says its not soemthing that can be oiled

Any ideas, or anyone had this before?

Its a frustrating noise not in keeping with the rest of the tightness of the car!

Kind Regards

Edward

I have experienced these in the past.

As it disappears it would seem not to be any real problem.

Sundeep said:
I have experienced these in the past.

As it disappears it would seem not to be any real problem.

Cheers Sundeep

Yeah your right, not a real "problem" as such, just frustrating as nothing else in the car rattles or squeeks etc!

Will prob get the clutch changed in a year or so, and hopefully that will fix it.

Sounds like its a problem with the clutch on the way out, I asked "Doctor Dave" the Classic Cars magazine technical guru:-

Sent: 26 May 2009 09:22
To: Towers Edward
Subject: RE: FW: Squeaky clutch pedal

The main extra wear it causes is to the clutch system and pedal assembly...and of course, the longevity of your left knee!
all best
Dave

Subject: RE: FW: Squeaky clutch pedal
To: "dave richards"
Date: Tuesday, 26 May, 2009, 9:18 AM
Dave
Thanks very much for this, I suspected as much to be honest, I think I will put up with it till the clutch gets worse, it seems ok at the moment

The Clutch is £800+ to change (including a new RMS seal) so I will live with it for a bit! (unless you think it could damage the engine?)

Kind Regards
Edward
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 26 May 2009 09:12
To: Towers Edward
Subject: Re: FW: Squeaky clutch pedal

Edward
The usual cause for clutch pedals to go squeaky is the clutch nearing the end of its useful life. As the pressure plate wears, the cover plate 'fingers' adopt a position further out as the springs continue to create a clamping load to prevent the pressure plate slipping.
I'd reckon that fitting a new clutch kit would:
a) make the clutch a lot lighter
b) remove the squeaking from the pedal

as just oiling it will only be treating the symptom, not the cause!
Dave Richards
----------
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2009 6:00 PM
To: C&SC Workshop
Cc: Towers Edward
Subject: Squeaky clutch pedal
Dear Dave,
The clutch pedal on my 1998 porsche 911 Carrera 2 (996) gives off quite a loud squeak when pressed and depressed, most annoying as the rest of the car is very sound and solid!
The pedals hinge from the roof of the foot well, making oiling hard, any ideas how to solve this most annoying problem!?
Kind regards
Edward

Is the clutch pedal heavy, and does it slip when dropped quickly? If so, it's definitely on the way out to lunch.

Early 996s sufferred from a noisy booster spring assembly. The noise might be that. There is a TSB on the subject.

I assume its a pedal actuation squeak, rather than the thrust bearing linkage and presure plate squeaking. I would have thought a bit of WD40 would help if its the pedal pivot.
Big Bob :bye:

Big Bob said:
I assume its a pedal actuation squeak, rather than the thrust bearing linkage and presure plate squeaking. I would have thought a bit of WD40 would help if its the pedal pivot.
Big Bob :bye:

i had a quick look, its seems quite hard to reach?

Stick the red tube in the nozzle, and give it a blast. It wont damage the trim ot any electrics etc, so if you spray and actuate you will get some on it!
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Big Bob said:
Stick the red tube in the nozzle, and give it a blast. It wont damage the trim ot any electrics etc, so if you spray and actuate you will get some on it!
Regards Big Bob :bye:

WD40 and GT85 work for a short time, I'm using bicycle bearing grease (Finish Line) to good success.

My Indie gave a squirt of some product by WERTH i think it was, hence my earlier Q. as could not remember whether an oil or grease. But it cleared for some considerable time.

Martin :)

Richard H said:
Is the clutch pedal heavy, and does it slip when dropped quickly? If so, it's definitely on the way out to lunch.

Early 996s sufferred from a noisy booster spring assembly. The noise might be that. There is a TSB on the subject.

Hi Richard

What is a TSB, and where do I find it please!?

Is the Spring you refer to expensive to replace?

Kind Regards

Edward

tedzwedz said:
Richard H said:

Hi Richard

Kind Regards

Edward

I would suggest that TSB stands for T**** Service Bulletin.
You need to establish if your clutch is on the way out. If it is bite the bullet.
If not then try and get some lubricant difficult as it might be to the pedal pivot. Other than that "EAR" plugs work :grin: !
Big Bob

Big Bob said:
tedzwedz said:
Richard H said:

Hi Richard

Kind Regards

Edward

I would suggest that TSB stands for T**** Service Bulletin.
You need to establish if your clutch is on the way out. If it is bite the bullet.
If not then try and get some lubricant difficult as it might be to the pedal pivot. Other than that "EAR" plugs work :grin: !
Big Bob

Cheers Bob

Well according to the scam artists Charles Ivey Porsche when I took it to them not long after purchasing nearly 2 years ago, the clutch was "probably due to go shortly" because of the squeek...

However recently Chelsea Carrera and Auto 2000 Porsche have confirmed that the clutch is fine!

The squeek is in the pedal assembly, I think there is a bearing/pin/spring or something that fails

Richard is very kindly sending me the Porsche Guide to it

Kind Regards

Edward

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back