Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2 cars, 48 hours to pick one

feelou

Gidday guys.

Nice forum you have here. I thought I'd tap into your experience.

911 has been on my mind for a while now. I've owned my string of RS4s and the odd M3, all of which feel a bit numb next to the Porsche. I'll make the jump next week.

Trouble is, I can choose from 2 quite different cars:
- 2004 Turbo, 28k miles
- 2006 C4S, 28k miles
Both cars offered at roughly the same price. Both well equipped. Both mint.

Dealer let me have the C4S for a couple of days this week and I loved it. Superb chassis, chatty front (obviously, after 3 RS4s), surprising torque, brilliant build quality. Swift and nimble though very planted. 997 interior is very nice too. But quite close in acceleration to the RS4.

I've just taken in the 996 Turbo for the weekend. Didn't have a chance to drive around much, it's pouring down here in Auckland/NZ. Nice chassis, great turn-in, very stable although a bit more interference than in the 997. But - and you know where this is going - what a brute of torque! This car has a stage I mod, 490hp/750Nm. Absolutely mad.

All of this is but a very long prelude to the question: what would you recommend to a first-time 911 owner?

I've heard several theories, each touching on a different aspect of the ownership experience - I've come up with this '5-P list'

1) PRESENT GENERATION: 997 is better car. Although less raw power than the 996tt, the 997 C4S has the more rewarding chassis, handling, interior, line. Go for the Carrera.
2) PROGRESSION: First-time owners should learn the 911 basics with a N/A engine. The C4S is ideal for this thanks to the safety net of AWD. Go for a Carrera.
3) PATIENCE: If you own a Turbo as your first 911, you won't enjoy trading up the model range over the years. Go for a Carrera.
4) PURITY: The classic line, sound and handling of the 911 is embodied by the Carrera. The Turbo's rear spoiler, well, spoils the classic line, muffles the classic flat six soundtrack, forces you to manage power rather than the ideal line. Go for a Carrera.
5) POWER: Nothing matches the excitement of acceleration, especially in the medium term. Go for aTurbo.

4 of 5 are in favour of the Carrera. But there's no denying the appeal of power.

I'd value your opinion.
Thanks
David

Welcome and congratulations for being the most distant member of the forum. I guess you won't be joining us for many hoons around the British countryside :D

Firstly I am amazed that the dealers will lend you a car for several days you would never get that over here.

And Secondly - Only you can decide.

The 997 is a better place to be interior wise and the C4S is a mighty fine car. However the grunt of a 996tt is addictive and something that you won't easily get bored of. If you are not sure of the looks of the 996tt how would you feel everytime you flew past a 997 C4S while in the turbo? Would you be loving the power or fretting over how much better looking the C4S was? (Personally I think the 996TT is drop dead gorgeous but I am a little biased 8) )
Both the C4S and turbo have AWD and this gives them a totally different feel to the more traditional 911. Have you considered a 997C2S?
I went from a 996Targa with PSE to the turbo and the only thing I miss is the noise. The turbo is a little too muted but there is the option of a Tubi or Miltek should I wish to take the car out of the OPC warranty.

As I said earlier only you can decide but either way you will end up with a great car.

Good luck

Welcome aboard :)

Two very nice cars and as Dave said, only you are capable of making the decision.

Personally I would go for the Turbo, if I were to go N/A it would be aC2 and not a C4.

Either way i'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever you choose. Good luck and let us know :)

Hi & welcome!

Judging from your own '5P' list, I think you're quite clear that they are 2 different cars and don't need convincing any further that you're right! Having said that, it's down to personal choice. If's your first Porsche, I'd go n/a but then you seem to be used to driving high performance cars so the Turbo indeed beckons.

I am sure you'll be in a better position having had the benefit of driving both on consecutive weekends to make a balanced decision.

~ Maxie :)

Thanks everyone.

Yes, the decision will be a subjective one. But it feels a bit like Clarkson's imagery* - sophistication or grunt.

Dave you have the experience of both the n/a and the turbo. Your question 'how will you feel when you meet the other car on the road' is spot on. I wish I knew the answer to that. Did you take a 997 for a ride?

One way of thinking about it is looking back to what I have liked in the past. My fondest memories are of a 2001 RS4 which, with Sportec mods, put out a healthy 440hp/600Nm. My current RS4 (420hp/430Nm), although more modern, better sorted and much better sounding, hasn't got under my skin as much as the old one.

Will let you know how I go.
Cheers
David

* I'm sure you remember his '911 range explained in simple terms' ramble where he took 3 girls on stage to make his point.

Forgot to explain my preference for a C4S (vs C2 or C2S) as a daily drive.

I've owned awd cars for the better part of 10 years now. I got rid of a E46 M3 after a couple of months of ownership and a few 'now where's my spare underwear' episodes in the wet
It pretty much rains every day in Auckland.
Add poor-quality roads to that and I feel a C2S would be too hairy (for me, not per se)

Feelou - what did you decide?

feelou said:
Thanks everyone.

Yes, the decision will be a subjective one. But it feels a bit like Clarkson's imagery* - sophistication or grunt.

Dave you have the experience of both the n/a and the turbo. Your question 'how will you feel when you meet the other car on the road' is spot on. I wish I knew the answer to that. Did you take a 997 for a ride?

One way of thinking about it is looking back to what I have liked in the past. My fondest memories are of a 2001 RS4 which, with Sportec mods, put out a healthy 440hp/600Nm. My current RS4 (420hp/430Nm), although more modern, better sorted and much better sounding, hasn't got under my skin as much as the old one.

Cheers
David

* I'm sure you remember his '911 range explained in simple terms' ramble where he took 3 girls on stage to make his point.

Sorry I missed this post.

I drove a 997C2S back to back with the Turbo I now own. I think that answers your question. The other thing with the Turbo is that should you get bored with it you can easily remap it and add 20% more bhp and torque.

Dave said:
feelou said:
Thanks everyone.

Cheers
David

Sorry I missed this post.

I drove a 997C2S back to back with the Turbo I now own. I think that answers your question. The other thing with the Turbo is that should you get bored with it you can easily remap it and add 20% more bhp and torque.

Thanks Dave.

Hey everyone. Been really lazy getting back to you.

Got the 996tt in the end and loving every drive in it. Car is as advertised, 2004, 490hp/750Nm, Arctic Silver, Bose, sat nav (quite a rare feat here), and Denison iPod interface.

Only annoyance is the battery. I'm overseas for a couple of days every week and have kept my 2006 RS4 to go see clients and carry stuff around. Bottom line is, mileage per week is quite low, and the car will see the light of day only 2-3 days a week. Came back from Europe a few days ago and could not start the 996 - flat battery.

Dealer tells me it shouldn't be jump-started lest I risk damaging the alternator. Bit of a bummer really. Car is in the office's underground garage, will be a pain to tow it out.

I confess to not having searched the forum for a symptom/solution thread. Mate told me about a trickle charger to get the battery back up.

Any idea?

Cheers
d

PS: After 8 months of ownership I'm already thinking about the next 911. Am I normal?

feelou said:
PS: After 8 months of ownership I'm already thinking about the next 911. Am I normal?

Aboso ****** lutely :thumb:

Surprised about the battery issue. Would have guessed its on the way out. I was told batteries loose 1% of their capacity a day so you'd expect to be able to leave a car, boat, bike etc for at least a month before starting would be an issue.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back