Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Britain's Bloodhound car could reach 1,000mph

Porsche News

It will be faster than a speeding bullet: a pencil-shaped car powered by a jet engine and a rocket, roaring across a desert at 1,000mph.

If all goes to plan, Bloodhound SSC will break the land speed record by the largest ever margin, and, in 40 seconds of breathtaking thrust, inspire thousands of British school children to take science A levels.

Today, at the Science Museum, the project to build this car will be announced by Lord Drayson, the Science Minister, who in 2006 first proposed the project to the two men who between them have held the land speed record for 25 years.

Richard Noble, engineer, adventurer, and former wallpaper salesman, reached 633mph (1,019km/h) as he drove a turbojet-powered car named Thrust 2 across the Nevada desert. In 1997, he headed the project to build the Thrust SSC, driven by Andy Green, an RAF pilot, at 766mph.

Lord Drayson could understand the desire to drive fast. In his spare time, he raced his Aston Martin DBRS9 around Silverstone at up to 160mph.

'Andy Green was one of my personal heroes," he said. 'I wanted to meet him. At the time there was a rumour that Steve Fossett [the late American businessman and aviator] was building a car that would do 800mph. They said they could do 1,000mph.

'I thought, wow. What's it like to drive 1,000mph? How cool is that?" He told the two men that Britain's shortage of science graduates was so serious that the MoD was struggling to recruit enough engineers. (This month the Science Minister tried a different tack to encourage children to study maths and physics, by declaring his support for manned space missions.)

The task of driving the vehicle will fall to Wing Commander Green, 46, who will lie feet-first in the Bloodhound. As the car accelerates, from 0-1,050mph in 40 seconds, he will experience a force of 2.5G (2 times his bodyweight) and the blood will rush to his head.

As he decelerates, experiencing forces of up to 3G, the blood will drain to his feet and he could black out. He will practise for this pounding in a stunt aircraft, flying upside-down over the British countryside.

Since the car covers the length of four football pitches every second, he will require lightning reflexes. In 1997, as Thrust SSC passed through the sound barrier, it swung sideways and he locked the steering wheel at 90 degrees to recover.

Mr Noble said: 'The car was probably a few thousandths of an inch out on one side and it blew 100ft left."

No one is sure what problems await a car that travels 300mph faster.

A prototype jet engine, developed for the Eurofighter and bound for a museum, was donated to the project. This will take the car to 300mph, after which a 'bespoke"' hybrid rocket designed by Daniel 'Rocket Dan" Jubb, 24, from Manchester, who built his first rocket at the age of 5, and now supplies the US military, will boost the car up to 1,000mph.

Attachments

• bloodhound_3_385_418620a_907.jpg
    bloodhound_3_385_418620a_907.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7,145
  • bloodhound_2_385_418618a_143.jpg
    bloodhound_2_385_418618a_143.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 7,145
As Scottie said to Cpt Kirk "ye canny beat the laws of physics sir"...

The driver passing wind at that speed would be enough to end it!

I admire bravery and British gusto as much as the next person(albeit sometimes misplaced re the Beagle project) but I think I will nip down to fredbet when it's about to get launched as I'd give the driver a 50/50 chance of getting out this thing alive. :hand: :hand: :what:

As much as I hate to admit it, :agree:

~ Maxie :question:

Update: The Bloodhound SuperSonic Car is 42 ft long and took aerodynamics experts three years to build. It was launched at the Farnborough International Air Show.

The team believes Bloodhound's aerodynamic shape, combined with the power of its Falcon hybrid rocket and Eurofighter-Typhoon jet engine, will take the blue and orange car beyond 1,000mph.

The rear of the real car will start being built by Hampson Industries, an aerospace manufacturer, at the start of 2011 with hopes to sign a deal to complete the rest of the car soon.

The design team palns to test the car on a runway in Britain by the end of 2011 or beginning of 2012.

If the tests go to plan the car will be taken to a dried up lake bed known as Hakskeen Pan, in the Northern Cape of South Africa, to attempt the world land speed record.

The current record holder is the Thrust SuperSonic Car which hit 763mph in 1997.

Three people who worked on Thrust are also engaged in the Bloodhound project; driver Wing Cdr Andy Green, project director Richard Noble and chief aerodynamicist Ron Ayres.

The real vehicle will weigh about six tonnes, but even the polystyrene and fibre-glass replica weighs 950kg.

By adjusting the position and shape of key elements of the car's rear end, the design team found a solution that they hope will manage the shockwave passing around and under the vehicle when it goes supersonic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...Full-scale-model-of-1000mph-car-launched.html

Attachments

• bloodhound_1681686c_258.jpg
    bloodhound_1681686c_258.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 6,775
That's good news :thumbs:

My boy asked me to find out what the fastest car in the universe was so we talk about the Bloodhound a lot! :D

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back