Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Two years old - 4 Owners

david.m

Hi all

I am looking for an 05 or 06 C2S and have come across an 06 car in an indie with all the right options ( bose, sports exchaust, good colour etc ) and the price is in the right ball park.

The problem is that it has had four owners in two years, the first two being as a demonstrator for two separate OPCs. The dealer selling the car says that it is common for owners to swop their (911) toys frequently and that a four owner car in two years is not unusual and will not affect this car's residuals !

The speedo and service book indicate that the car has done 11k miles but the rear tyres have been changed recently. The dealer says that a life of 8-12,000 on the rears is normal and so that is why they will have been changed. I have not owned a 911 before but 8-12k sounds a bit excessive to me - what do you think ?

I would apprecaite your thoughts - am I being over cautious or do you think that I am right to smell a rat.

Regards
David

Hi and welcome!

Wouldn't worry too much about 4 owners if two were OPCs and 11,000 miles suggests that it hasn't been driven hard enough to me :wink:

A good sign of how it's been used. :)

One owner per year is really common for the first 4-5 years - both my 5 year old 911s had 5 previous owners when I bought them.

As for the two OPCs - that is a little unusual, but is it actually two different dealers? Or was it a change of ownership of the dealer or something?

Thanks for the quick resposne Wattie, it appears to be two separate Porsche main dealers - that struck me as odd and the indie coudn't explain it either. What are your thoughts on it needing new rear tyres at 10-11,000

Regards
David

Most of us on here don't get that out of our rear tyres - I've just managed 11,000 on my current ones, but I found out just how illegal they were yesterday with all that standing water on the M40 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Put it this way, you wouldn't sell the car with tyres in that state! :hand:

You have to remember 2/3 of a 911's weight is over the rear wheels, and with 380 bhp and masses of torque, if you use the performance at all, the rear tyres take the strain!

Good news is fronts will last 25,000 miles or more... I actually spend less on tyres overall than I did on my Audi TT that I had before - as that used to wear all 4 out in about 15,000 miles.

Hi and welcome David :thumbs:

All 911's are superb, well worth getting to know as much as you can about the model you're interested in so you can make an informed decision when it comes to purchase. We always say buy on condition but with newer cars i think its important to get the right options/toys too.

If you are thinking of holding on to the car for a number of years then number of owners is irrelevant IMO as you will extend the average. The fact that 2 owners have been OPCs is better than if it were 4 private owners as that would raise a few eyebrows. You never can be sure how a car has been driven but a good warranty will always provide some peace of mind.

With tyres its good to get brand new with the car. On my 993 the last set of Pirellis I got just over 10k on, but the latest Contis are on their way after 4-5k!

:welcome:

997 C2S is a great choice David :thumbs: I've had mine since January and the only regret I have is buying at the top of the market.

Try to make sure that you get one with navigation and although I don't have it, the sports chrono pack will make it more desirable on resale.

As others have said, four owners is not necessarily a bad thing, especially as two are OPCs. I can't comment personally on the rear tyres, but having seen the comments on this thread, I'm going to check wear on the inner edges of mine when I get home tonight.

The car Mark Pearce is advertising on here sounds nice and is probably worth a look see, but it hasn't got the sports exhaust which can of course be retro fitted (OPC Colchester do a good discount) but I would check out the Insurance implications of lowered suspension, because this can attract a hike in premium.

Go for it and enjoy :thumb:

Clive

4 owners not a huge issue but there is plenty of choice out there so why not find one that wasn't a demo and had one careful owner? After reading another thread on here, not sure I would buy an ex demo as anyone test driving a 911 will be thrashing the car on a cold engine? I know I did (and nearly crashed it in the process)

I have had the same set of tyres on from new, now 13,000 miles. Plenty of tread.

Going home now to check the tyre edges!

Also - a vote for Mark at Stirlings! I have never bought a car from him however he has supplied or sourced cars for many of my clients now, all of whom couldn't believe how good the cars were. Dilligently the same quality as OPC cars are meant to be and handled by an enthusiast who actually know what he's talking about.

Evil_C said:
:welcome:

The car Mark Pearce is advertising on here sounds nice and is probably worth a look see, but it hasn't got the sports exhaust which can of course be retro fitted (OPC Colchester do a good discount) but I would check out the Insurance implications of lowered suspension, because this can attract a hike in premium.

Go for it and enjoy :thumb:

Clive
Sports Suspension was a No Cost Option ( you either have PASM or the 20mm lowered sports chassis and a limitesd slip diff)so as its a standard car from the factory, no Insurance implication

Thanks

Thanks Guys - a great response and very helpful. This is a fantastic forum, I'm still a newbie but at this rate I won't be for long.

Regards
David

Call me a wuss but personally I wouldn't touch a two year old car that has had four owners.
I'd want to know why the car was registered to two different dealers - was it used as a loan car by the garages? Or worse - was it used for "driving days" by the dealers.
You need to ask for a DME print-out from the OPC which will show you all the "over-revs" that the car has had in its life ie how many times and to what level has it been over the rev limit.
In this market there are plenty of 997's around so I wouldn't be in a hurryto buy something that looks at all iffy

nineoneone said:
Call me a wuss but personally I wouldn't touch a two year old car that has had four owners.

WUSS :!:
:bye:

Oh, and don't forget to give me a buzz if you are requiring finance :thumb: (sorry for the plug)

Mark summed it up well; buyers do question multi-owner cars. I experienced it only recently but if you think aobut it, there's no real justification.

A car run by two OPC's could just as well have been hammered when in one spell of ownership as it could have been in four.

And don't a lot of buyers look for ex-demonstrators as a way of buying almost new at a discount? All seems a bit odd IMHO.

As Chris said, buy on condition and history once you've decided on model, budget and options. If its a 997 C2S you want and you find one with low mileage and one previous owner then buy that.

(and you're right, most of the guys here are really helpful; just don't try to sell a number plate :hand: )

nineoneone said:
Guess that makes me a wuss too :mrgreen:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back