Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I am crazy for............

philnotts

Buying a 6 months old 997 mk1 Carrera S for 60k in the credit crunch! I guess a hard question to answer! but will things only get worse for the market or do we think things will level out and pick up again! I must admit there are some bargins at the moment due to the C/C.

Option 2! Wait til March and buy a brand new face-lifed boxster s!

thank you!

phil.

I bought in April, I could of waited but hell no !

I am very impatient person and could of saved a few quid but hey you never know what could happen !

the only thing that would put me off buying now is the weather, not the credit crunch.

lots of bargains about, so happy hunting.

Gen 1 997 S vs Gen 2 987 S? No compo man, 997 all the way.

~ Maxie

but the state of the market and the gen 2 997 out, how much would the gen 1 997 fall within 2 yrs! :?:

There's minor differences between gen1 and gen2. Look at the difference in prices between pre and post-facelift 996 for a steer and there's hardly any noticeable difference.

I would get an older 997 (06/56 reg), as it's taken quite a hit on depreciation already.

GD said:
I would get an older 997 (06/56 reg), as it's taken quite a hit on depreciation already.

Then i guess we get into no warranty, or less then and high mileage! Swings and round abouts!

Good customer of mine just got bidded £10k more than his Cayman was worth from OPC to get him into a 997 Gen 2. They are not allowed to discount a new Porka but will give you a massive trade in value to counter act the figures.

G! Dont say that, if i get that, i wont need you to work your magic on the gen 1 997 im looking at!! :)

philnotts said:
G! Dont say that, if i get that, i wont need you to work your magic on the gen 1 997 im looking at!! :)

You will, I've done about 10 brand new Gen 2's so far. Got another one next week.

:thumb:

With the market how it is, surely you be crazy to buy a brand new one! esp the gen 2!

some folks have more money than you'd think.......

philnotts said:
but the state of the market and the gen 2 997 out, how much would the gen 1 997 fall within 2 yrs! :?:

If you are worried about depreciation, buy a classic, a 993 spend TOPS £35K for a sublime car pocket the rest, kiss depreciation (or at least major depreciation) good bye.

OR spend a bit more £40K 993 TURBO

Or Maybe £60K (if you can find one) 993 RS ZERO depreciation.

Just my 2c (or £60K)

philnotts said:
GD said:

Then i guess we get into no warranty, or less then and high mileage! Swings and round abouts!

Not at all. The new OPC used car warranty is more in line with a new car warranty (or so my OPC tells me). You can up at an 06/56 reg with about 12k no problem.

The only things that would sway me to a gen 2 are:

1. 4 and 4S have the reflective light (no big deal)
2. Minor engine mods to improve RMS and Intermediate shaft (bigger deal, but not data to prove that this hasn't introduced other issues or is more reliable)
3. PDK v Tip (same argument as above)
4. Bluetooth and iPod connection (Bluetooth can be added to Gen 1 as aftermarket with factory fit look. iPod can connect through CD changer)

So on reflection, if I was buying now, I'd go Gen 1 for 2 reasons, 1) plenty of 997 Gen 1s about that avoid the big first year hit, 2) I wouldn't buy a new generation anything for 2 years, so that the problems are ironed out

You need to balance all this up against the point that G is making. OPC are doing fantastic trade in deals to shift new stock, so really look at the cost to change.

Market is depressed, but if you are thinking about trading up, there's never been a better time!!

Are OPCs doing fantastic trade-in deals for pre-owned stock too?

~ Maxie :?:

Thank you for all the replies!!

My head is telling me, just to wait to see if the new boxster s comes with the new engine, meaning lower tax and better MPG and go for this one and then look to buy a 6 months old gen 2 997 in 18 months time!

My heart is thinking go for the 997 gen 1 and just put up with the road tax risers each year!

:?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back