Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2s vs C4s

martinbester

Hello All.

How does one decide between a 997 C2s or C4s (2007 model year)?

Cheers
Martin

:welcome:

Bit of a strange question :? .

They are very different cars both in terms of mechanics, looks and price.....I would suggest you have a good look at both of them and then take a test drive to understand the characteristics of 2WD and 4WD. Then work out the implications of the cost differentials and make an informed decision based upon what you want :thumbs:

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. I realze the 4s is heavier, has less boot space and is slower in a straight line (0-60 and top speed). It also has worse fuel economy. On a typical british road though, will the added tracktion make the 4s quicker than the 2s? If you go to your local dealer, like I've done, it is not straight forward to take each car to its limit to compare the true pace of each. Do you guys know of a good abck to back test?

Thanks

hi

Ive just sold my 997 4s and gone for a c2s pdk. I.M.O if you intend to floor your car everywhere you go? have the 4s!! If not then the c2s is more than adequate. To be honest, as ive mentioned before you can barely tell the difference on traction under normal driving conditions. Plus the c2s is a lot more spritely off the mark :thumb: Dont get me wrong the 4s is a wonderful car just a bit heavy for me. But if you like j-lo rather than kylie have the 4s :lol:

martinbester said:
Hello All.

Cheers
Martin

As David says. Just drive them both. You will know once you've driven them.

martinbester said:
Hello All.

Cheers
Martin

Good question....same predicament I'm in at the moment.

~ Maxie

I am sure a purist would say go for the 2CS. I have a 4CS (2006), mainly for the extra confidence it seems to give to us not so good drivers. She also appears bulletproof in the wet, and I'm averaging around 21mpg . However I will be honest I never tried a 2CS when I bought her! The problem with a test drive is it is very difficult to get a proper feel for a car, need it for a couple of days really. I also do like the 4CS fat rear end, reminds me of mrs f!

The C2S is a great drive, occasionally you might have a moment especially when flooring it in the wet with a slight lock on but the moment is just a twitch. I have only ever twice lit up PSM and both were accelerating out of T junctions a bit too quick with a lock on and incidentally there being some gravel on the road. No problem - the light flashed, car wiggled its hips and seemed to pause for a second before it thrusted me exactly the way the wheel was pointing nice and safely.

If you have driven one at Millbrook you will realise how stable the car is.

I think it would be a bit mundane if it didn't feel like it was alive.

Jamie said:
I think it would be a bit mundane if it didn't feel like it was alive.

In the debate 4wd vs 2wd, I think that's a point worth considering.......

~ Maxie

Just got myself a brand new C4S Gen 1, absolutely over the moon with it, think it was that 'bad & fat" rear-end that really did it for me. OPC very keen to do a deal & a deal they certainly did, I'm a happy & keeping this one for ever!!!

My opinion and backed up by the 2 senior technicians at my local OPC who can drive a lot faster than me,
If its a 996 the 4wd has better steering feel and gives a little more confidence
If its a 997 the C2S chassis is so good, if your buying a new car its not worth spending the extra, spend the money on options on a C2S, for most drivers,

The 2wd is more economical especially in tiptronic,

I ve found that a 996 C4 tip is a 25mpg car a c2 is a 31mpg car on the motorway not town driving
Re the PSM traction control light, I've had many a phone call from a customer to say his PSM light has flashed after 18 months of ownership, they then ask whats broken and you then explain that the system has worked for the first time that they've owned the car!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back