Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Depeciation concern from 996 owner

bigfish

Silverstone
First hi to all...

Now - I have had a 996 for 5 years & time for a 997 . :lol:

My concern is what seems to be rapid depretiation of the 997. Looking at a C2 or "S" - but a nice car/nice spec seems to be tumbling in price

OK...so I know cars cost money but a few months ago they were £45k ish....now I am looking at sub 20,000 mile cars for £35-£38.

Any views on this - and yes...I have loved my 996...so the 997 should give me another 5 years on grinning :puh:

bigfish said:
Any views on this - and yes...I have loved my 996...so the 997 should give me another 5 years on grinning :puh:

:welcome:

I bought my 997 C2S from OPC Guildford so you can imagine, I have lost a few Dollars !

But I love the car :D and will be keeping it for atleast 3-4 years !

I know I may of bought at the wrong time but hey I have probably lost on shares, my house etc etc.

Ok...so been playing in the 997. Nice. I want that one :)

So - will be purchasing pretty soon - a nice C2S I think

Now....just gotta sell my 996...and off I go shopping...as there seem to be some great deals out there...just reckon my loved 996 will take a price beating :cry:

Still...that 997 is rather nice

:welcome:

Go for it bigfish, the 997 C2S is a stonking car and you won't be dissapointed.

And fingers crossed, they will soon find a price plateau

Clive

I picked my C2 up about 8 months ago and have 'lost' a few quid (but it's not an investment but a pressie for me!). I see your point - when to buy? My guess is with the current financial market storms it's a buyers market. I'm sure some people have hocked their soul to the finance man to buy 911s, and will be looking to offload as mortgatges etc.. go up, and salaries go down in real terms vis-a-vis current higher inflation.

So isn't the real question how long can you wait to have one
:mrgreen:

Ok....so found my car - its a C2S - under 20K miles for £37k...umm I want it

Issue is I need to sell mine - a lovely 2001 996 @ 66k miles.

Where/how is best way?

I have it up for £18, 500 with I thought was a good price - any clues to see itf it is?

bigfish said:

So do I....!! :eek:

~ Maxie

bigfish said:

Issue is I need to sell mine - a lovely 2001 996 @ 66k miles.

Where/how is best way?

I have it up for £18, 500 with I thought was a good price - any clues to see itf it is?

If you can't sell it for that price, I think the rest of us 996 owners need to start panicking :eek:

However, there are rather a lot of 996 up for sale at the moment and the vultures are circling... It might take some time to get what it is worth as a result (the 'looters' of the credit crunch might have to view a lot of dogs before they realise you get what you pay for!) :wink:

Good luck... :)

Well I guess it is all relevant. I have great deal on a c2s for £37k...that 6 months ago was probably £50k

Am going to try the dredded fleabay as well - arhhhh...help!!!

How are you getting on with your negotiations? A C2S at that money is a lot of car for not much dollar. You won't regret it. So - your 996 has depreciated as well - it's all relative. Do a deal on the 996 to get into the 997 before someone else buys it!

Jamie said:
Do a deal on the 996 to get into the 997 before someone else buys it!

Damn....Jamie - why did you have to pre-empty my actions....? :!:

~ Maxie

PS Just joking Bigfish....go for it else someone else really will!

OK - so off to see 2 cars Sat morning - fingers crossed I can do a deal

And then fingers crossed my car sells

Fit like newbie :wink:

Ye hit the nail on the heid when ye said its all relevant. Yer gawn to sell yer ain car for a lot less than ye'd like but yer also gonna buy yer 997 at a lot less than ye wid have thocht a few months ago.
The thing that bothers me is Porsche are in danger of loosing the exclusivity value if the price of their used ones fall too far :(
They might go the same way as BMW, which at one time was an exclusive marque, now there is one up every street on every council estate :roll:
If that happens a lot of us will move on.
In my opinion Porsche have to severely restrict the production of new cars to drive up the residual value of second hand sales.

The captain.

Good point Captainwull (!). I remember growing up and wowing each time a 3 series BMW went past or even a Merc 190. As you say they are now so common that these days I find myself turning to look at Ford Mondeos (the new ones are so attractive) and no doubt the forthcoming Vauxhall Insignia. I too fear for Porsche going the same way as these once premium brands have done. I also believe many of us on here will move on to something else (what though?).

However, it seems as though it's Wendelin Wiedeking's vision to produce as many cars as he can whilst still at the helm. I don't think, unless something drastic happens, we will see the 911 produced in numbers that the 993, for example, enjoyed.

~ Maxie :what:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back