Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

extended waranties

TR 1972

What do you all think, up for renewal £900, dont use the car much worth it or not, previous owner said it was a must. Your thoughts pls as I am still very new to this game

Most on this forum will say it's a must. I did it in May this year. :eek:

Hi,

I would personally. If it's out of warranty you will need to pay for the 111 point check as well (around £200).

It covers the main items and will be replaced very shortly (1st October, I believe) with a more comprehensive warranty for about £1500 (so, £600 more expensive!!).

I only really want the warranty to cover the catastrophic engine or gearbox failure (ie. the expensive items!), so the £900 would be fine for me.

But if you want the bumper to bumper cover, which is more in-line with the new car warranty, then talk to OPC about the new one coming out on the 1st (if your warranty is up before then).

If your car is still in warranty and you want to take advantage of the £900 deal before October 1, then:

a. Your warranty needs expire within 4 weeks, OR
b. You will need to pay the 111 point check, even though it's under warranty...madness I know.

Or, you can take your chances, based on the fact that failures are rare and be prepared to splash out £10k+ if required.

My warranty is up at the end of December and I will be taking advantage of the 2 year 'deal' at £2400 for bumper to bumper cover.

I decided that it doesn't cost out to pay for the additional 111 point check (£200) and to write off 3 months warranty (£300), just to save £100 and have a warranty that covers less!!

Cheers,
GD

Whilst you'll clearly get the best advice on THIS forum, there is an interesting 32 page thread you can spend the rest of the weekend reading at http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=576390&i=0
I've just bought a 2 yr old 997, rather than pay OPC £3,000 every two years for a warranty, I think I'll stick the money in the bank and see where I am in four years time. Will it really cost over £6k in repairs in the next four years? :?: It better not :x

Adrian747 said:
Whilst you'll clearly get the best advice on THIS forum, there is an interesting 32 page thread you can spend the rest of the weekend reading at

I've just bought a 2 yr old 997, rather than pay OPC £3,000 every two years for a warranty, I think I'll stick the money in the bank and see where I am in four years time. Will it really cost over £6k in repairs in the next four years? :?: It better not :x

Adrian, this was the original article copied onto PH

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=38234

Woops - sorry about that - just goes to show this IS the best place to hang out. Thanks for pointing out the thread here.

I just dropped my C2 in for an MOT this morning (3rd birthday in October). Pulled out of my parking space to go to the dealer, and wham! Engine management light on and a misfire. Limped to the dealer (only about 5 miles), and it clocked in at an ignition coil failure. Also ID'd an oil leak from the main oil seal while inspecting.

Both covered under warranty I've just been told. I'm relieved ;-) I'm on the first year's warranty since buying from an OPC, but I think renewing (circa £900 I gather from this?) is worthwhile, unless you want to use independents for all your work. I may do that when it's 5 or 6 years old, and I confirm if we're keeping it longer term (which is the current plan). Good selling point if you are only keeping it short term.

Ian
997 C2 '05 19k

I've just paid attention to the price change noted - and looked at the PH link. 1400 notes? Crikey, over the next 4 years I'd hope £5600 worth of non-perishable parts would not go wrong (doing about 8k a year). I can't imagine the ignition coil comes close to that, but an oil seal may in labour.

Mine's not up for renewal until next april, have to think a little harder about this one, it seems...

toyracer said:
I've just paid attention to the price change noted - and looked at the PH link. 1400 notes? Crikey, over the next 4 years I'd hope £5600 worth of non-perishable parts would not go wrong (doing about 8k a year). I can't imagine the ignition coil comes close to that, but an oil seal may in labour.

Mine's not up for renewal until next april, have to think a little harder about this one, it seems...

Ignition coils are about £25 each (most of us replace all 6 when one goes) and no labour if fitted at the same time as a service (about an hour if not = £60 tops at an Indy)

RMS is about 6 hours labour IIRC - about £400 total at an Indy - IF it really needs doing :wink:

RMS (Rear Main (oil) Seal) mysteriously needs changing very often on cars that are still under OPC warranty, but hardly ever seem to need doing on those that are no longer covered... Funny, that! :?: :thumb:

Cheers Wattie - some pause for thought. My 40k service/4 years would fall into the renewal year. may consider renewing for that... Then again, 1400 buys plenty of independent time - especially as I intend keeping for the long haul (I'm perfectly happy with my 'basic' 911!).

Maybe I'll just enjoy driving it for the meantime and worry about all this later!

Just had the waranty breadown through the post, covers mechanical failure not wear and tear, max claim £2500. I ve been dealing in comm vehicles for over 20 yrs and have blanked aftermarket warranties as not worth the paper they are written on, this is looking very similar.
1/ only do max 5000 mpa
2/ If it hasn't failed in three yrs why should it now and if it does is that classed as wear and tear
3/ If its serious £2500 will it cover it? Clutches etc wear and tear
I presumed this warranty was as a new vehicle warranty, grey areas?
Opinions please

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back