Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carrera 2005 PCM upgrade?

vicknetstar

Hi Guys,

I would like to play mp3's on my head unit, but doesnt work.

My friend has his working on his 2006 model, so i'm wondering what i need to do?

...where to begin?!

I've just been through this with my OPC - and posted on here about this last week, and the bottom line is that you need the software upgrade to bring your PCM up to date.

Porsche do not keep PCM operating system software up to date as part of routine servicing (unlike other manufacturers) and the burden is placed on the customer to do this.

You have several choices...

1. Buy the latest Navigation Map update (which inludes PCM software update discs) from your OPC- £349.66 + VAT. I haven't been able to source this outside OPC - the Navteq distributor says Porsche have control of PCM mapping disc supply, and cannot be obtained outside OPC network.

2. Phone around and see if you can find an OPC that has the software CD's lying around, and who will let you update your car for free (again, I couldn't find any - my OPC said they would if they had them, but sadly didn't).

3. Find another owner who has bought them who will lend them to you (you don't need the mapping dvd disc, just the software cds)

4. Buy dodgy copies (I would't do this) - torrents seem to have them, and some enterprising folk claim to be able to sell them to you (ebay)

5. Live without.

I'm going to buy the latest map disc and associated software, and grin and bear it - it will give me the latest software, updates to all of PCM operating systems and functionality (eg postcode search) and new maps, so I can sort of live with the cost (I've got a discount).

The only thing I'm not sure about is which is the latest...

I've just been told that 997.044.901.50 is the latest (2008) version.

I hope this helps!

Paul,

What knowledge you have there. ;)

...too much, some might say! :frustrated:

I tried to paste the screen print from the OPC of the tequipment page showing the Navupdate info, but I'm rubbish with IT!

Okay, so I could upgrade my software, which at £411 inc VAT would be a bit cheaper than having a mObridge unit installed, but where would I plug in an mp3 player/iPod

Or am I just being dumb
:?:

Clive

Sorry! :?
I thought you were talking about playing MP3's on a CD in your head unit!

...in that case, you need either mObridge or Dension.

Once again, I've done a fair bit of research in to this...

OPC's tend to send you in the direction of installers who will put in NavTV, which doesn't have the best reviews for a number of reasons.

mObridge seems to be the superior product from an audiophile perspective, whereas Dension (500) has more connectivity (ipod + usb port + video).

Both can also do bluetooth. People say good things about both, and they cost a similar amount.

None would require you to update the software on PCM - you would only need to do this to play MP3's that you had put onto CD (which may still be a solution for you?

I've wasted far too much of my life looking into this!!!!! :frustrated:

speedy_un said:
...where to begin?!

1. Buy the latest Navigation Map update (which inludes PCM software update discs) from your OPC- £349.66 + VAT. I haven't been able to source this outside OPC - the Navteq distributor says Porsche have control of PCM mapping disc supply, and cannot be obtained outside OPC network.

I've just been told that 997.044.901.50 is the latest (2008) version.

I hope this helps!

Tell me more on the Post code front? Does it actually work? If that's the case, then I'm quite happy to go and spend the cash and get the update. I have a 2006 MY, but with a 2005 disc (I think that a fair few roads have been built since then :(

Cheers

d

Fine, I was being dumb :roll:

You certainly seem to have burnt some midnight oil on your research Paul and thanks for sharing it.

I've been seriously considering the mObridge and have a quote from JZM for supply and install of £461 inc. VAT. I think I'll go for it, even though it means that I lose the CD stacker.

Clive

I have a 2007 which plays MP3 CD's fine in the head unit (but not the CDC).

I have so far resisted reinstalling my Dension as you can get around 6/7 albums on a CD which is fine for my use.

If anyone is in the York area they are welcome to borrow my Navigation disc :thumb:

On the one hand the CD's update operating system software (i.e. PCM, SYST, AMP, PHONE), and the map DVD update navigation software.

press MAIN and TRIP on PCM to view software versions

So it is possible that if you get your hands on a late navigation DVD (i.e. 05.2007) then the navigation software on the disc will enable postcode functionality on your system.

(ResB - PLEASE CONFIRM if you are out there!).

However, my 05/2005 car is running old software (version 1.0 - ResB version 3.3 on a 2006 car), so I have gone down the route of getting the very latest version to bring me bang up to date - if I had put an 05.2007 dvd disc into mine it may NOT have worked because my system software is too old.

OPC assure me that I will have postcode capability (although NOT all digits).

Software CD's also address some bugs in the BOSE and phone system, although no-one will tell me exactly what these are.

Bottom line for me is that it is a bit naught of Porsche not to be doing this as part of routine servicing - I don't mind paying for mapping updates, but system software should be part of their remit.

I can do postcode search but not 7 digit. The PCM allows you to put in for instance, LS12 5** (Doesn't allow the *) and thats on as you say 3.3 software and the 05/2007 DVD map. ;)

Has anyone had the Dension system fitted around London? Can anyone recommend an installer? It's hacking the loom somewhere for a power source and getting the PCM to think a CD changer is installed (is that right?) that I'm concerned about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back