Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 vs Aston Martin DB9

mikee2k

Hi Guys

I'm considering swapping my 997 c2s for a DB9, anyone had any experience of these cars and how they compare to the porsche?

Cheers

Mike

Chalk and Cheese. DB9 is wooly and lifeless IMO, the Porsche is significantly better and they are totally different cars.

Now the 997S and the AM V8 Vantage 420 is a better comparison. Both great cars and I don't envy having to make that choice I can tell you.

Check out the review in Car. They put a facelift 997 Carrera (not the S) up against the new Vantage and concluded that they would buy the Aston for its looks, but the Porsche is the better drive and longer term therefore more satisfying.

According to the OPC I bought mine from, the previous owner had PXd it for a Vantage, but having had it for a few months, wanted to swap back.

The DB9 of course is more of a GT, so it depends what you want - long distance tourer or sports car.

I must admit though, the Aston's looks are to die for and I'd love to have one on my driveway.

Clive

I had to go about some business in an Aston dealership not so long ago and got chatting to the service manager who was admiring my car. I made some small talk with him and said that I would love a V8 - he said, honestly keep the 911 on the basis of performance and reliability - he then said that the DB9 was worse from a reliability point of view. Maybe he was just a Porsche fan but coming from a service manager at an Aston franchise it made me think.

I personally would buy and hope to own at some point an Aston and if I were choosing now I would be happy with a V8 or DB9 but this is only based on aesthetics - they do look the dogs.

I think the problem you have when owning a 997 and are getting itchy feet - what next? I am always thinking about a step up but what do you replace it with and the only two conclusions I come to are Aston or Fezza and I'm not a fan of Ferrari and is an Aston really a step up aside from the poser factor!

I went on a Millbrook day with the new V8 420 and admit it is a great car. However, the Aston is too pretty to go on the track and I'm not sure I'd want to track a £90k anyway.

If I had to make a choice based on my current usage, the the 911 wins. The Aston though, as Jamie said is to die for in the looks department.

Ideally, a V8 on the drive as a daily driver and a GT3 in the garage for weekends and the track. :)

ResB said:
Ideally, a V8 on the drive as a daily driver and a GT3 in the garage for weekends and the track. :)

Oh, to live in an ideal world...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back