Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why is it never easy... - Resolved -

Stuart

Just had KW V3, GT3 anti-roll bars, GT3 topmounts and Agency Power droplinks fitted with full geo and corner weighting (thanks to Dan @ VividRacing for supplying the ARBs and droplinks - A1 service).
s__m_33965697.jpg

s__m_33965693.jpg

Total transformation of the car, obviously a harsher ride but it feels just so responsive, like a big go-kart :D
Been driving around roundabouts and through the twisty stuff all day and grinning, until this evening...
Just drove back in to town and about 10min away from home I started to hear a clunking noise from the front. Doing some research I think it may be the sway bars moving side to side in the bushings or the droplinks loose, has anyone else experienced this? Easy fix, do I tighten the droplinks with a torque wrench or what do I do? Obviously there's no-one available at the fitters on a Saturday night and don't want to be sat worrying tomorrow.
Any help is greatly appreciated. :worship:

Can only comment that loose bushes usually only produce a light "clonk" over some bumps, but a broken droplink sounds like the front suspension is about to fall off. A quick look under the front should determine which it is.

Had both front wheels off this morning and the nuts circled in the pic were loose.
s__m_33966650.jpg

Tightened them up without adjusting drop link length. Nothing else looked or felt wrong, everything solid and correct, I think. Thought everything would be ok, took her for a drive, still making the clunking sound, looks like it's a trip back to JZM :(

Are you sure that the ARB isn't fouling on the lower suspension arm? It looks very close in that photo. With adjustable length droplinks you should be able to shorten the droplink length to avoid any fouling.

I don't think it's fouling on the lower arm, here's another pic showing a different angle.
s__m_33968526.jpg

I didn't notice any wear or damage earlier. I'm hoping it's not just the sound of the droplink ball and socket joint and there's nothing that can be done...

As you say, in that photo it looks fine. Unlikely to be the joints - they are rose joints (used extensively in race applications) and will have absolutely zero slop. Good luck with getting it sorted.

Problem solved by the guys at JZMachtech this morning :D

They took the adjustable links off and reinstalled the stock OEM links. The rears fit fine with the GT3 ARB but the fronts had to be modified by removing 30-40mm from the length. Couldn't use GT3 droplinks as the end rose joint connections face the wrong direction so this method was used. I'd seen this done on Rennlist in the GT3 forum but the guys at JZM took care of it perfectly, now there's no noise from the suspension :worship:

After all if non-adjustable is good enough for GTs and RSs it's good enough for a NA 996... PM'd a few of you from here who confirmed that, big thank you :thumb:

Stuart said:

They took the adjustable links off and reinstalled the stock OEM links. The rears fit fine with the GT3 ARB but the fronts had to be modified by removing 30-40mm from the length. Couldn't use GT3 droplinks as the end rose joint connections face the wrong direction so this method was used. I'd seen this done on Rennlist in the GT3 forum but the guys at JZM took care of it perfectly, now there's no noise from the suspension :worship:

After all if non-adjustable is good enough for GTs and RSs it's good enough for a NA 996... PM'd a few of you from here who confirmed that, big thank you :thumb:

:thumb:
Great news.. ready for the 'Ring

Stuart said:

nice work

glad you got it sorted

Stuart said:

Good stuff - never did understand why you'd need adjustable droplinks on a road car :?:

NXI20 said:
Good stuff - never did understand why you'd need adjustable droplinks on a road car :?:

To be honest the adjustables were only purchased after doing research and finding out NA stock links wouldn't work with the GT3 ARB. The GT3 ARB was purchased to eliminate some of the understeer enocuntered with the NA 996. It really does improve the cornering :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back