Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lookin for my first 911 - Advice needed.

Lobo

Ive been dreaming of buying a 911 since I was a kid and have been thinking about taking the plunge for a while. I almost went for a 996 C4S after a test drive but found the 996 styling alot inferior to the 997 and decided against it.

However, now 997s seem to be falling into my price range (50k), Im back in the market. So, now I need some info and advice.che

Im definitely looking at a Black with black interior. My only other preferences are to include the sports exhaust (as well as the usual sat nav, upgraded sound system, etc.)

So, to the questions:

1. Should I be going for a C2, C2S, C4 or C4S? (rember, this will be my first Porsche. Im upgrading from an M3)

2. For 50kish, what age am I looking at? A late 06, early 06? (Is 50k realistic?)

3. What issues should I look out for at this age? Can I expect a big bill at the garage?

4. Whats the typical servicing cost?

5. In terms of depreciation, what kind of drop is likely per year (for a 2-3 year old car)? Especially considering the facelift is just out?

6. How great is this car? :)

hi lobo,

i also took the plunge recently (3 months ago)getting my first 911 and let me tell you every mile makes you beam from ear to ear. Its everything i thought it would be and some!!!! I went for a 4s as i admit to not being a superior driver. They tell me at my local opc that the 4s is much "stickier" on the road than a standard car and my god they were right. It corners at speeds you think were impossible in any other car, not that i speed i might add it just sticks and sticks!! Im not sure you'll get a 4s at the moment for 50k but with the new model looming it may not be long. I bought a sept 2005 4s with 6k on the clock(you can see pics of it from an earlier post) I paid late late 50's for it. Personally bose is a must!!!! im a muso though.. sat nav and telephone, you can see the extras again on my previous post. As i am still classed as a noob im not qualified yet to tell you what pitfalls to look for in a car all i can say is if your not going to go through a opc then make sure theres still some warranty left on the car you get if you buy it privately. I have to admit im seriously looking now at the facelift model, so mine might be up for sale (the wifes gonna kill me!!)

Anyway good to hear from you

keep safe

mottle :thumb:

Lobo said:
So, to the questions:

1. Should I be going for a C2, C2S, C4 or C4S? (rember, this will be my first Porsche. Im upgrading from an M3)

2. For 50kish, what age am I looking at? A late 06, early 06? (Is 50k realistic?)

3. What issues should I look out for at this age? Can I expect a big bill at the garage?

4. Whats the typical servicing cost?

5. In terms of depreciation, what kind of drop is likely per year (for a 2-3 year old car)? Especially considering the facelift is just out?

6. How great is this car? :)

1. Whichever takes your fancy (looks) and is within your budget. The S models are quicker than your M3, and the non-S models are similar.

2. It depends on which model car: have a quick scan of what 997s are available in something like PH for the 50k mark.

3. There are no big issues at this age.

4. Servicing is as per menu pricing at Porsche or independents. I would budget 1k p.a. for a 997 (including tyres/brakes etc)

5. I anticipate the early 997 to find a floor within the next year or so at around 40k for the 997 Carrera. The facelift will almost certainly have a negative impact on residuals.

6. The 911 is arguably the Greatest sports car ever made, but it depends on personal taste and preference as to how you like your cars!

Hello,

I think that a C2S is the best of all worlds when it comes to value for money, driveability, boot space, aesthetics etc. I too was a huge fan of the 996 C4S so when I decided to buy a new 997 I was naturally thinking about the C4S however almost everyone I asked told me to go for the 2wd. Aesthetically it is almost identical to the 4s save for 44mm difference accross the rear axle.

£50K should be a good budget now for a decent spec 06 car, probably about £20K miles. Servicing etc not a real issue, just avoid a car that is nearing it's 4 year or 40,000 mile service though (unless it's already been done).

I agree with Ade, the C2S should find it's floor at about £40K soon. I haven't seen any decent examples much below £45K even with high mileage. I have also compared it to 996 C4S for depreciation.

How great is the car? For £50K the 997 is a hell of a car. I use mine every day and it is the only car that I have never tired of. I bought it fully expecting to own mine for 3 to 6 months however 14 months in my mindset is to hang on to it for sometime now.

996 C4S is quite a special car; looks better than other 996 models and could be bought for fairly good money if you make allowance for age and wear issues.

IMHO the technology available in the 997 makes the choice between C2S and C4S harder. Either with sport chrono and a well ticked option list will be good cars. If running costs are an issue then the C2S is the way to go.

If ultimate traction is the priority, then 4WD will be the choice as it probably makes up for the failings of us mere mortals.

I test drive a 996 C4S and I thought it felt bigger and heavier than I expected. Would the C2S feel more nimble? (I will hopefully find this out tonight)

Im far from an expert driver though, so would I be safer goin for a C4S. Or would people suggest the general driving experience of the C2S is better (without having to drive it hard). The consensus seems to be that the C2S is the better drivers car.

If you are testing a C2S would be very interested to hear what you think as a direct comparison with the C4S you tried.
I've got the C4S, mainly to compensate for my complete lack of driving skills, but she really starts to shine in the wet, especially heavy rain. She feels bulletproof and keeps going when other drivers are starting to ease off. You almost start to look forward to bad weather!

I'm my no means an expert driver and the C2S doesn't give me any issues.

The only time I have had the PSM lighting up was accelerating hard from standing in first whilst on a 90 degree lock and over some gravel - any surprise? After it wiggled it's hips it still took me exactly where I wanted it to go.

I think you would need to be pushing any 997 very very hard to lose it on the road.

Can I add something to the mix ?

Yes 997 are wonderful cars - early 997 are in the lower 40k region and LHD 997 in the 40k region-ish.

Couple of months ago I was on the market for a 996 C4S low miles, etc etc etc, saw this and I drove a 997 - yap, brilliant car, updated interior BUT.. and then comes the big BUT - someone said this sentence :

" why you dont try a 996tt ? they fit your budget "

I was worrying like you - 996 interior vs 997 looks a bit old, etc etc. But the thing is, when you floor the car, you really dont have much time to look at the interior. Trust me.

I personally think that coming from a M3, the turbo would be a much logical upgrade - bags of power, tons of control, heaps of fun.

Dont take only my word for it - several members ( fairly common on PCGB ) swap their mint 997 C2 and C4 for 996tt. And I have yet to see one regretting that move.

With your budget you can go for "normal" Turbo's, 2004 - they are now in the very low 50k's region with 20-24k miles on the clock. 2004 version means longer intervals in maintenance.

Or if you are ok with the "normal" maintenance period, you will have bags of fun shopping - 50k as a budget gets you some really exotics : Turbo X50, Turbo S, Turbo Cabriolet...

Plus you have LOADS for sale , most of them with OPC warranties still going, just coming out of service, you can be picky about color and options and its a buyers market for these babies - you can haggle :)

I was once to buy a 997. But then I drove a 996tt. And I bought it :)

Ive thought about that. But TBH, Im as much into aesthetics and the performance side and I find the 997 much better to look at than the 996.

And good to take baby steps - start off the the C and then move up to the TT when the 997 TT becomes more affordable (or I get richer). The 997 TT is gorgeous to look at.

Hi,

Interesting thoughts, opinons. I spent 12 months looking for my 911. Overall the 996 C4S is in my opinion the best looking of the 996 range.

It also has a more aggressive appearance over the 997 range apart from the TT and GT2/3.

I have subsequently driven the 997 C4S no real drving difference and the additional power is only noticable when really blasting it.

The perception of size of a C2 over a C4S, not really noticed this.

The interior issue is down to choice but is not a deal breaker to me.

A 996 with a bit of CF or ALu pack, after market sat NAV will look fresh. PCM2 is c**p compared to the after market stuff which is debated on here and there is much agreement on that.

Don't really see the point of spending significant money on a newer car that will have a marginal performance difference. As stated plenty of good value 996 TT's out there now. But down to personal preference on looks.

Enjoy the search and test drive as many as you can to get the subtle differences.

Alan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back