Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 or 996 - again

The General

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and have been surfing the site for some time now and have found it really useful. I know this type of thread has been posted a load but here's my conundrum.

I have a 1973 targa fully restored and in concours condition and have really enjoyed the experience but after shelling out 8k for an engine re-build, clutch and a load of other stuff I feel like my "2nd girlfriend" has cheated on me. I work a load and really don't have the time or energy anymore to deal with the constant niggles and repairs involved in owning a classic porsche.

So the question is this: I should have about £35k to spend although I'd like to bank some cash so would ideally spend quite a bit less if possible (but I don't mind spending it if it gets me the right car) - Which car do you recommend with the following criteria?

- It needs to be reliable, quick and good looking (hence why I was thinking 993 2s as IMHO it is the nicest looking porsche made so far).

- Do you go for the 993 for its external looks (the interior just isn't as nice as a real classic and not modern enough to be new IMHO)

- Or the 996 on the assumption that it will be more reliable (this is just an assumption...)?

- Having only 165bhp at my disposal at the moment I would like the car to be quick but I'm not keen on getting under the boot if I can avoid it (i've had more oil leaks from my current motor than kuwait in 1992!).

- It will only be driven on weekends

- I want to be able to have hassle free driving every time I need (so no more keeping the car garaged over winter due to corrosion etc.)

I'd be grateful for all your thoughts. Apologies again if this thread it too repetitive.

I don't think a 993 is any less, or more reliable than a 996. I reckon running costs on a 996 are lower (certainly my own experience) but not much in it.

If you are planning to keep a car tucked in the garage, I'd probably run with a 993... just a bit more quirky, hence special-feeling. The 996 is fabulous, and for that money you could get a nice 4S, but they are somehow not the sort of car you keep in the garage for high days etc. Or maybe that's just me.

The only reservation about the S's is that you are paying a whole load of money extra for the few inches. You can get a better car for less money with a standard C2, or even a Targa.

Porsche 993 C2S

Hi. I would definitly recommend that you buy a 993 C2S. You may have to pay a bit more money but it will only go up in value. They are the last of the widebody aircooled Porsches. And you are right, the 993 C2S is by far the nicest looking Porsche ever made.
If you buy a 996 on the other hand, it will depreciate.

I have had many Porsches throught the years. From 996's to 993's to 356's and I recently sold my 2005 997 and I recently bought a 1998 993 C2S. I am from the states & 993's are very hot in the market so I paid alot of money for the car but it is mint, ocean blue, a perfect car which is a great investment to me because it will appreciate in value. I named the car "Fratt's Horse Buggy" because of the widebody rear fenders & split twin grille, the 993 C2S reminds me of a roman chariot.

Anyways, good luck to you in finding a nice Porsche and hope you can find a nice 993 C2S. There are some nice 993's for sale in the US. Look on ebay motors, autotrader, ect..

I did like my 2005 997 Coupe though. I bought the car in October of 2004 and kept it until this past March of 2008 and sold it. The 997 was a great car but I do prefer the 993C2S that I recently bought last month.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back