Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 911's... please help!

ukoldschool

Hi all, self confessed 911 virgin here needing some advice please.
Im usually not a fan of ze german cars, but Im in a situation where I fancy a change away from my usual Italian staples and try out the everyday supercar... Im fed up of driving to and from the station everyday knowing that my 147gta is depreciating faster than it can travel ;) so a couple of questions if I may:

1. what sort of 911 can be had for between 12-14k? presume either nice SC or a 964?
2. can either of the above actually be driven on a daily basis and be reliable enough to then be given a bit more of a seeing to at the weekends?
3. are there any decent dealers in the herts/N.london areas?

Many thanks in advance, the last german car I had was a 1200 beetle about 20 years ago ;)

cheers!
Justin

Welcome :welcome:

1. The 3.2 carrera comes in between those two to extend your choice. Although not a 911, the 968 is well worth considering in your budget. And boxsters of course.
2. A 964 is certainly up to the task of being a daily driver. Sure you'll need to fix things on these old cars but it will rarely let you down especially after coming from and alfa :D . These cars benefit from regular use IMO.
3. Being a Northerner my London geography is useless but Roly at Eporsch is down that way somewhere and knows his onions when it comes to 964s.

Good luck in your search :thumbs:

You might need to broaden your search area to get a good one. It won't be like nipping down to your local Ford dealer and saying "I want a second hand Focus" Lots of people spend months trawling all round the country before they find their car as there's a lot less of the older cars for sale than there are 996s.

Welcome!

Give Henry at the aptly named 911virgin at whirl, he's not too far from that neck of the woods, or Roly at Eporsch as mentioned above.

For that sort of money, you'll be looking at an SC or 3.2 Carrera, or a 964.

You could also as said above consider a Boxster, which will be a great drive, more modern, have ergonomics and everything, but ultimately less character than the 911s noted above.

If you're new to the whole thing, then have a look at a few cars to get a feel for good uns and bad uns. And when you find one (all together now...,) Get A PPI (pre purchase inspection- about £300, and will point out any issues).

Good luck, and feel free to post ads etc up if you want general comments.

Hi Justin,
I bought a good 964 tip privately for 13,500 last year which fits your budget. The guy before had had it a year and done 25k with no problems only to upgrade to 996 turbo so it can be done.
Dare I say I don't know if you would actually want to drive a 911 everyday (maybe newer ones are different) - it'll be a lot different to the gta and servicing/running is pretty expensive. You really need to try a few but living with them long term is different to a 30 min test ride...

Hi all, thanks for all the advice so far! will check out the dealers mentioned. Boxers are out for me im afraid, need at least 3 seats... and 968's are - well ugly ;)

In terms of a 964 I take it the manuals are generaly more expensive than the tiptronics? Just guessing really on the suspition that an auto type 911 may be slightly less desirable (no offense to any tip owners!) in the eyes of the porsche purists?

As far as living with one day to day, I did 2 years daily in an Integrale (which is now 'resting up') so im used to a heavy clutch etc, the servicing bills are also probably not that far off an Alfa or Lancia when you factor in how often they go worng (touch wod on the alfa... only a driveshaft, new gearbox, new clutch, new brakes, new AR bars so far... ;))

My main worry is will it start every morning, will it be OK in the rain and the snow and wil it start again when I get off the train :lol: then will it mind getting a right seeing to at the weekend (ooer)?

Whats the easiest to maintain 964 then? I can also cope with LHD having driven the grale regularly so does tht give me more options or just increase the potential problem cars?
Many thanks

Justin

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back