Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

c2s power kit

ollie997

Hi all, im new to the forum and porsche owership. Just bought a 997 carrera 2s with the gt3 aero kit. its tiptronic and also has the sports chrono pack and sports exhaust as well as several other options. Absolutley love the car but have been thinking about getting the power kit upgrade. From what i have read it adds another 26bhp to the car.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has had the upgrade (especially if you got it upgraded after buying the car) and if you feel its really worth getting. Is there a much noticable difference in performance?

Also seeing as i have the sports exhaust already on my car is the cost of the upgrade slightly cheaper? I see the cost of the power kit as an option is around £8000 but that includes the exhaust. If anyone has any ideas on cost or best porsche centre to get it done would be helpful too.

Many thanks,

Ollie

not being a "modern" porsche owner, take what i say with a pinch of salt...

£8k for 26bhp?

2k for 26bhp to much to justify.

I BET you wouldnt even notice the 26bhp...

empty the junk out of your car, and dont'eat before you drive, its probably that kind of difference...

sounds like you've already got the good stuff, i'd spend a grand with Sean E, and i bet you'll be quicker than another 50bhp...

Dumping the Tiptronic would be the equivalent of 26bhp ;)

Seriously, you would notice the difference, the car does feel different but you need to drive further up in the rev-range which the Tiptronic probably isn't best suited for, it may adapt, but it something to be aware of.

The Porsche Sports Exhaust isn't going to liberate any additional ponies but it does make it sound better.

Something like an EVOMS V-flow airbox/filter kit with the respective remap could give you a decent increase, couple this with a throttle body change and you are up at the Powerkit level for £1.5-2k

I know they may be bais, but those who have had the X51 powerkit swear by it..
In tests done by EVO it gave stunning results..

garyw

If you can afford it, then maybe as a factory fit but otherwise look elsewhere for more power for your £. Anyway, I thought the sports chrono tightened up the responses and power output. :?: Certainly seemed enough for a track day, which I suspect is the only place the manual really has the measure of the tiptronic in the 997. :bye:

It is supposed to make the car feel more dynamic, responsive. Which ever way you look at it it's 26BHP which is about a 7% increase so for someone who has never driven an S with the X51 kit I'm not so sure 7% is enough. You will not invalidate the Porsche Warranty with this installation though.

I've had a DMS remap on my C2S and that was supposed to yield another 20-23BHP (6%) but I doubt very much it has. The power delivery is certainly different but I'm not so sure to be honest. I should get it on a Dyno and see what the outcome is and see if the remap is just hot air...

If you'd bought the car with it on then that's fair enough but I'd save the £6-8k to be honest. Although 380BHP is very appealing, I'd keep the money and use it as a deposit on a GT3 or something similar in the future.

Tiptop Topcat said:
If you can afford it, then maybe as a factory fit but otherwise look elsewhere for more power for your £. Anyway, I thought the sports chrono tightened up the responses and power output. :?: Certainly seemed enough for a track day, which I suspect is the only place the manual really has the measure of the tiptronic in the 997. :bye:

I have PSE on mine and when selected and run in "sport" mode the ride (PASM) is stiffened up and the throttle response is sharpened. It provides a more urgent feel which is certainly noticeable. No extra ponies with it though, although some say you get 3-5BHP. Again, I'm not so sure. :) Forever the pessimist... :)

thanks for all your responses. i guess most of you are right £8000 for 26bhp does seem excessive. just thought seeing as i already had the exhaust it would save some money for the rest of the upgrade. If i was going for a power upgrade i would like to stick with a factory option as im sure that wouldnt invalidate the warranty. i think i will try and test drive a car with a power kit (which seem really rare) or wait and testdrive the facelift 997 c2s when out. As i understand they will 280bhp as standard?

The tiptronic was not actually my first choice but i live in cental london so always stuck in traffic so it makes things a lot easier. Also the car had everything else i wanted on it. With the sports chrono pack in sport mode the gear changes are pretty instant, cant drive the car without the sport mode on anymore!! Im sure a manual box is quicker but as some one said the differeces would only be noticed on a track and even then i think you would have to be a pretty good driver to notice that the tiptronic box was slowing your lap times.

Probably worth spending the money on a remap from the likes of Revo, DMS, Manthey which for a fraction of the cost would yield some additional benefit

if you want more power, maybe chop the car for a Turbo ?

ResB said:
I've had a DMS remap on my C2S and that was supposed to yield another 20-23BHP (6%) but I doubt very much it has. The power delivery is certainly different but I'm not so sure to be honest. I should get it on a Dyno and see what the outcome is and see if the remap is just hot air...

If you'd bought the car with it on then that's fair enough but I'd save the £6-8k to be honest. Although 380BHP is very appealing, I'd keep the money and use it as a deposit on a GT3 or something similar in the future.

I was going to reply to this a few days ago, but my wife :thewife: caught me and to do something useful :whistle:
Anyway she's out so here goes :clap:
I am surprised that DMS are doing upgrades on the 997 3.8, because they do not show it as a product on their website when I checked last friday. Neither are Revo offering a package on this model yet either.
But I might be wrong :duh:
However when they do (my assumption) if you were to do the chip, a new exhaust system and a coldair intake you would get quite a bit more than 26bhp for about £3K.
This sounds better value than the £8K from Porsche.
However people I know who have purchased the X51 with the car are pretty happy :lol:
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Big Bob said:
I am surprised that DMS are doing upgrades on the 997 3.8, because they do not show it as a product on their website when I checked last friday. Neither are Revo offering a package on this model yet either.

Big Bob, I'm not really sure what you mean to be honest. Are you saying I have not had a DMS remap because it isn't advertised on their "new" website. :?:

Perhaps the reason for this might be because of their wildly over exaggerated claims of 20 to 23bhp increase and the negative comments made by a number of people who have had the work done. I mean how come it takes Porsche £8k to yield a 26bhp increase from the C2S yet DMS charge £1k can can almost get the same increase from a remap! Something wrong there perhaps. I was skeptical when I had the remap and unfortunately remain so.

It's strange actually that no-one has done a before and after Dyno test (myself included) to see if there are actually any gains at all, well none that I could find anyway. :?:

Remapping the C2S in my mind, until it's proved to me otherwise is not worth it, but I do remain open minded because I just don't know. :?:

ResB said:
Big Bob said:

Big Bob, I'm not really sure what you mean to be honest. Are you saying I have not had a DMS remap because it isn't advertised on their "new" website. :?:

Perhaps the reason for this might be because of their wildly over exaggerated claims of 20 to 23bhp increase and the negative comments made by a number of people who have had the work done. I mean how come it takes Porsche £8k to yield a 26bhp increase from the C2S yet DMS charge £1k can can almost get the same increase from a remap! Something wrong there perhaps. I was skeptical when I had the remap and unfortunately remain so.

It's strange actually that no-one has done a before and after Dyno test (myself included) to see if there are actually any gains at all, well none that I could find anyway. :?:

Remapping the C2S in my mind, until it's proved to me otherwise is not worth it, but I do remain open minded because I just don't know. :?:

Dear ResB
It was not my intent to offend or impune your integrity. I was just surprised that I watch DMS and Revo websites on a regular basis that I had not seen a 997 C2/4S Package offered.
I can therefore only apologise for prior post :duh: Sorry Big Bob :oops:

For anyone that needs to ask is it value for money i.e. sensible people like us - the best bet would have been to buy one second hand where someone else had shelled out the cash i.e. someone with lots of cash! That said not sure how many are out there with the kit for sale.

The price seems excessive to me, I'm sure there is a difference but it is a lot of dough which I would rather put towards the next change.

There was some interesting topics on PCGB forum about this, where people had told the wife the car was going in for a routine service and when returned the wifes asking why did the car feel much quicker :D

ResB said:
Big Bob said:

ResB you have already had my apology, but I've been working on your behalf :thumb: . Mike Cooper at DMS email: [email protected] <[email protected]>
would like to hear from you and is prepared to refund your money.
Talk to him.
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Big Bob said:
ResB said:
Big Bob said:

Dear ResB
It was not my intent to offend or impune your integrity. I was just surprised that I watch DMS and Revo websites on a regular basis that I had not seen a 997 C2/4S Package offered.
I can therefore only apologise for prior post :duh: Sorry Big Bob :oops:

Apology accepted. ;) Hey for all I know they remapped my ECU based on a 330d. I feel I need to prove that they do remap the 997S for some reason so I'll scan their invoice just for clarity...now where is it? I have noticed their website has changed since I had the remap done, perhaps they no longer do the 997S due to their wild claims of increased bhp and they have been found out?

Seriously though, when DMS came out to remap mine they also did a friends 118d. DMS "claimed" that they could remap this to 200bhp but yet again, although it was slightly quicker for certain, it never felt like 200bhp, more like 150/160. Again, no before and after Dyno was carried out so can't be 100% sure. I wonder if there are some wild claims by DMS (never backed up with dyno figures for some reason) which will be their downfall if there is. This is strange really as DMS have always had great reviews, whether in the press or indeed by forum members albeit some may be trying to justify the expense. I also wonder if people forgo the Dyno on the strength of what they have read and heard. I know I did.

This isn't a DMS bashing thread by any stretch of the imagination as my dealings with Mike at DMS and the guy that did the remap was superb. I'm just more skeptical than I was before I had the remap, hence the reason I say don't bother with a remap, unless you get it on a RR before and after and are able to a degree justify and feel that you have got some benefit. I mean in all seriousness are you actually going to feel a 6% increase? I'm not so sure, maybe I just don't know.

Something else that always bothered me is that when the re-map is done and you go for a test drive, when you return and shrug your shoulders at the technician, their parting gambit is well you need to live with it for a week or so and you will then start to feel the benefit in every day driving. If after this time you still feel there is no difference we'll take the map off and replace it with your original one and of course refund your money. Why would they say this? If the map give an increase in bhp why offer your money back. Some might say it's good business, me, I think it's insecurity and a cop out. The thing is after a week your still not convinced but you dare not have it removed "just in case it is quicker" and don't want to risk the disappointment if original map is replaced on the ECU and it slower. If DMS or anyone else for that matter say they can get you a 20 to 23bhp increase and also back it up with independent dyno's, most customers are going to go away satisfied.

Sorry to Ollie997 for crapping on his thread, but I just don't feel re-mapping his C2S is the way to go either, save ya money.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back