Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The next generation 911.... code named the 991

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
We hear the next step-change in the 911 saga comes in 2011. Details are shaky at this stage, but it will be codenamed 991 and keep the world's best-known sports car ticking over until 2018. And, yes, it will still be rear-engined.

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

Attachments

• 998_991_739.jpg
    998_991_739.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 18,791
That sketch does look exciting. Looks kinda 911/R8/AMV8 blend

Is it time for the 911 to start looking more like a supercar?
Discuss.....

Jamie said:

Discuss.....

Yes ! :angel:

Jamie said:

Discuss.....

991? What happened to 998/999?

It could look a bit more 'special' (esp in TT guise), but its v important that it maintains an air of practicality. For me, the 2+2 makes it an option, where an AMV8, R8 etc are not. I can't imagine I'm the only one.

What would be cool is if Porsche built a proper supercar, for about Lambo murcielago money, rather than the £300k asked for the GT.

On the design front..one can only wish, but now they own the VW Group will they leave the cutting edge designs to Lambo or dare I say Audi ?

But where as the only real competitor over time the Ferrari V8 has changed design everytime from 308 to 328 to 348 to 355 to 360 and now to F430, which makes it a Ferrari

whereas a 911 still looks like a 911 and thus the rest of the range have followed those styling cues

so are Porsche stuck, if they do change design do they risk losing that super car buyers market which they have defined :?:

or if they don't change some time in the future they will run out of the same updates (i.e. how many design cues between a 993 and 997 can they actually keep doing!) and thus risk losing market share for not changing :?:

after all how different was the 996 to 997....

It's probably getting the stage of 'damned if they do, damned if they don't'.

It is staggering that the car has lasted this long in it's current format - what to do with it?

I think its a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Nothing wrong with Porsche's sales, and its this success which allows them to do specials like the GT3 etc.

I think they should introduce a new model, above the 911; it would be a mid engined 2 seater supercar, to compete with the F430 or F599.

Jamie said:

Discuss.....

I for one would rather they kept the design like the 997 for a good while yet.Aesthetically speaking I think the 997 is as good as a 911 gets.

The day they change design to that of a 'supercar' (like the sketch) is the day i'll lose interest in the 911,and the less said about changing engine position the better :hand:

Agreed with Jamie on this one - that sketch does look rather fetching. If they can retain the 2+2 format with drop dead looks, it can only be a winner. It already makes the 997 look dated (which I thought was fairly difficult to do).

~ Maxie

The sketch of the rear hardly shows enough intent but as others have said 'how many different ideas can they come up?', well look at BMW, their design keep son evolving on many more than just one model and you can see the heritage.

I think there miles left in the 911 overall aesthetic. Was just following the new Jag XK and you can clearly see echoes of the 911 'arse' in it. Each manufacturer has their identity and develops it very carefully. If it was so easy how come the Japanese and Chinese, or Yanks for that matter never managed to successful grasp the euro-design look in their sportscars? Look at Audi - the R8 shape was pretty much complete 4-5 years ago but only now is it 'new'. Look at the new Gullwing Merc concept, another successful retro design which looks very contemporary.

I think with production methods and new tech we could see some much more adventurous 911 derivatives - afterall the 911 is pretty safe - why cant they do a proper bad boy version like the 993 GT2 styling was back then, or the 935 back in the lates 70's.

What I agree is that Porsche should be looking at a new lower price top end supercar, something like a more affordable 959, not a CGT, where they can let their creativity flow.

you know I saw a Cayman the other day and i couldn't help wishing it was the new 911.

If only it had been, it would have been a tough top dog to beat. Sadly it was spaded by over cautious management.

I'd used F1 tech and make the engine part of the mounting points of the suspension and have the engine sit between the wheels (abet slightly more to the centre) The whole lot including rear wheels could drop out for servicing.

Robertb said:
I think its a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Nothing wrong with Porsche's sales, and its this success which allows them to do specials like the GT3 etc.

I think they should introduce a new model, above the 911; it would be a mid engined 2 seater supercar, to compete with the F430 or F599.

And then get rid of the other models that are diluting the marque...

Boxter + Panamera + Cayman + Cayenne + 911 :nooo:

911 + Boxter :thumbs:

...could be wrong(not unheard of :grin: ) but I thought Peugeot owned the copyright/trade name "991"?

It was the "0" in the middle digit that was the prev problem so 991 won't be

"For the new road car which had few in common anymore with VW, Porsche wanted to start a new range of numbers. At the Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung in Frankfurt in September 1963, Porsche presented the 901. Yet, French car maker Peugeot objected to Porsche using any three digit number where the middle number was 0, having already sold many models with that scheme, and owning the naming rights.

So, Porsche simply replaced the middle 0 with a 1, and called the new car Porsche 911 before the first cars were delivered.

Also, other Porsche models were affected, which were primarily intended for racing but also sold as road legal cars. Here Porsche kept the internal part number of 90x, but sold the car with a name, like

Porsche 904 as Carrera GTS
Porsche 906 as Carrera 6.
Later Porsche were pure racing cars which were not sold for road use, so not competing with any road-going Peugeot:

Porsche 907
Porsche 908
Porsche 909 "

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back