Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Turbo or 06/06 Turbo

grabajan

Have been informed that can get a slot for a new build for September 2008 delivery. However, there are a number of turbos at Porsche centres from £87k. I have a 3 year old 997S. What is the better investment? 8) 8) :?

997TT @ £87k. If you're talking about better investment, then this car is already someway down the depreciation curve whereas a brand new one is at the steepest part of the curve ie the beginning!

~ Maxie

Thanks - what would your estimate be on the annual depreciation for each of the cars - £10k per year? If the curve were linear then the figures for values after 3 years would be:

30/105 = 28% depreciation for a new car

30/89 = 33% depreciation for a 2 year old car

Obviously the curve is not linear however the difference between new and old porsches is probably not as great as in other makes? :neutral:

grabajan said:
Have been informed that can get a slot for a new build for September 2008 delivery. However, there are a number of turbos at Porsche centres from £87k. I have a 3 year old 997S. What is the better investment? 8) 8) :?

depends on the price difference of the new spec you were looking at to a car that is say 15/18 months old

benefit of TT's are that they fully spec'ed

Thanks! Being new to the forum can you remind me what TT stands for?

I was planning to get a manual in silver with about £5k extras but not PCB. Not an extravagant spec. Is the tiptronic better?

grabajan said:
Thanks - what would your estimate be on the annual depreciation for each of the cars - £10k per year? If the curve were linear then the figures for values after 3 years would be:

30/105 = 28% depreciation for a new car

30/89 = 33% depreciation for a 2 year old car

Obviously the curve is not linear however the difference between new and old porsches is probably not as great as in other makes? :neutral:

Your %ages don't look right as you have (correctly) acknowledged that the curve indeed will not be linear. To come up with a half-decent accurate answer, I'd study the prices on the AutoTrader website and try and construct such a curve (it's actually quite fun as I did this one time for a 996 Targa). I will say that the rate of depreciation is going to be slightly less on that 06/06 car you have been shown as compared to an 08/58 that you have been offered (?). I also think the 997TT will follow the same depreciation curve as did the 996TT when that was the current 911 model. Who knows, it might even be worse than the 996 as the 997 is a lot more mass-produced than the 996 was.

~ Maxie

TT which is a bad way to describe the Turbo... more so a hang over from the 993 Twin Turbo aka 993 TT which has kind of stuck into the 996 and 997 era's!

So at a few £ below 100 large... £105k v a 15-18 month car at 87k

although the new Mk2 997 Turbo should be on the way soon ???

now that is worth waiting for !

with a new PDK semi-auto transmission

911UK said:
TT which is a bad way to describe the Turbo... more so a hang over from the 993 Twin Turbo aka 993 TT which has kind of stuck into the 996 and 997 era's!

So at a few £ below 100 large... £105k v a 15-18 month car at 87k

although the new Mk2 997 Turbo should be on the way soon ???

now that is worth waiting for !

with a new PDK semi-auto transmission

Worth waiting for maybe, but when the new 998 comes out (or 991 as Porsche hinted recently) in less than 3 years time, those 997 residuals are going to fall yet again as did the 996 residuals when the current 911 was launched. I'm not sure its even worth waiting for a Mk2 997 as its second hand value will get hit disproportionately against a 997 Mk1 when the replacement is launched. The only recent cars that have held their values of late have been almost all of the 993 models, the 996 C4S/GT3/GT3 RS and the 997 GT3/GT3 RS.

I am sure Mark from Stirlings will be able to comment much better than I can explain here.

~ Maxie

Thanks for all your posts. Having driven the turbo recently, was blown away at its performance and was left speechless. Have always purchased new cars previously and have never broken the £100k ceiling previously though!

I must say I love the shape of the current model and am not sure that they can improve it. Whats the info on the 997 replacement and are there any links for the info? 8) :)

The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the entire Porsche experience.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.
Or not?

This is the last update

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=31463

Visually a bit with the centre consol in black as opposed to silver but it's the tech that changes

more power, a proper semi-auto gearbox and no doubt a few more toys

only problem is when in 08 ?

get the 0606 car for a stop gap

:) Many congrats!

~ Maxie :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back