Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

And mine's a bit stiff when cold...

Stormchild

Couldn't resist the title.

But it is true and I wanted to know if this is normal. I have a new C2S (5 months old) and I've noticed that it is sometimes a bit tricky selecting 1st gear - especially when the car hasn't warmed up. I normally have to select 2nd gear first and then push it into 1st.

Didn't expect this from a Porsche, but given my only other car was an Austin Allegro when I was 17, I can't say that I've got a lot of experience to go on :oops:

Any feedback gratefully received.

Hi, me again... Mine did the same, was worse when I changed to a shorter shifter. In the very cold mornings it needed quite a bit of force or doing the 2nd to 1st motion, reverse was a pain too. After it warmed up though it had a very nice smooth action.

But of course darling. They're meant to be stiff when cold, or just when you wake up. If not, seek medical advice! :)

Seriously though. It's typical for the synchro's on any car to be hard to engage when the oil is thick / ie cold. Having said that, the oil choice does make a difference. Since having my gearbox oil changed by JZ at my last service, my first gear is the easiest to engage ever....It's not a sign of oil age etc, more that some oils just work better in some gearboxes - work with the synchros better.
In my Mitsubishi turbo days (mitsubishi's have the worst gearboxes in the world might I add) I found that Redline MTL was the best oil choice for the box. Others such as Castrol were awful, crunching changes, hard to engage gears.....yet, I now have a Castrol in my Porsche gt3 box and it's great.... beautiful feel, great engagement...

So, no, it's not a bad sign, just try a different oil.... do some research on what others have used that may be better. Maybe find out what JZ use (a Castrol I believe) and see if that is better......

Cheers,

Jeff, do you remember how much that was? Going up to JZM soon for some 'work' and may get them to do it at the same time.

dervish said:
Jeff, do you remember how much that was? Going up to JZM soon for some 'work' and may get them to do it at the same time.
I'll dig up the invoice....

Ok, £121 + VAT.... Looks like that included fluid etc. Not sure but assume that covered labour too.....I have a labour charge but I believe that would be the front control arm change......

Thanks, I'll speak to Steve and see if I can get it done whilst I'm hanging around...

Phew!

That's a weight off. :driving:

I'm sure you can imagine that the old "egg-roll" didn't have the most precise gear-box in the world.

And thanks for the responses guys!

Jeff said:
In my Mitsubishi turbo days (mitsubishi's have the worst gearboxes in the world might I add) I found that Redline MTL was the best oil choice for the box. Others such as Castrol were awful, crunching changes, hard to engage gears.....yet, I now have a Castrol in my Porsche gt3 box and it's great.... beautiful feel, great engagement...

My C2 has stiff change when cold, but I just treat it gently. I'm pretty gentle when it's cold anyway. When warm, it's spot on.

In keeping with Jeff, my MR2 had the same problem with shifts - really notchy, and crunching at times. I used Redline MT90 (I think it was) and the difference was scarcely believable - slick and tight. I didn't realise how much until it came back from Toyota from a clutch change, and they'd changed the box oil - I genuinely thought they'd buggered something.

Re Mitsubishi boxes - didn't they design and patent Tiptronic? I think they licence it out to everyone (mind, the tip in our SLK was crap, so you're probably right).

toyracer said:
Jeff said:

My C2 has stiff change when cold, but I just treat it gently. I'm pretty gentle when it's cold anyway. When warm, it's spot on.

In keeping with Jeff, my MR2 had the same problem with shifts - really notchy, and crunching at times. I used Redline MT90 (I think it was) and the difference was scarcely believable - slick and tight. I didn't realise how much until it came back from Toyota from a clutch change, and they'd changed the box oil - I genuinely thought they'd buggered something.

Re Mitsubishi boxes - didn't they design and patent Tiptronic? I think they licence it out to everyone (mind, the tip in our SLK was crap, so you're probably right).

Not sure on the tip thing..... actually that's not fair. They don't have the worst gearboxes in the world, that title goes to subaru wrx's.... mitsubishi were rubbish for sychros.... always crunch - well until Redline mtl anyhow.

I only managed to break one mitsu box stripping every tooth off first. Managed though to snap a driveshaft though too! Tore it through the spline..... nice....

Stormchild said:
Couldn't resist the title.

But it is true and I wanted to know if this is normal. I have a new C2S (5 months old) and I've noticed that it is sometimes a bit tricky selecting 1st gear - especially when the car hasn't warmed up. I normally have to select 2nd gear first and then push it into 1st.

Didn't expect this from a Porsche, but given my only other car was an Austin Allegro when I was 17, I can't say that I've got a lot of experience to go on :oops:

Any feedback gratefully received.

Hi Stormchild - yes its normal and a bit notchy when cold especially worse if you have a short shifter - in fact if you refer to the official tequipment brochure it actually states that shifting is stiffer when cold.

- Simon

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back